______ Global Dimming

Yeah... it's a bit long (1/2hr or so) but I learned a few things.

I thought blaming Jets, Coal & Cars for the famine in Africa

was a bit too much. Granted it is a horible tragedy when

people starve but I've always been bothered by the fact that

they do not use any birth controol & have three dozen kids

and then they hold their hand out. Here's an idea: Don't

over populate and if you live in a crappy area that has no

food then move to a better place. Granted that's not possible

for many of them but their defeatist attitude sucks.

You really want unbridled population growth in the third world? It sounds cruel, but the Earth cannot sustain more than a certain of people while remaining healthy as an ecosystem. Some things in nature (fire, flood, famine, disease) are earth's own checks-and-balances system.

yeah i just watched that "An Inconvenient Truth" I analyzed it. Really its not Al Gore Propaganda, Its really not, there is no hard proof. The science Exists although exaggerated in his movie. He uses the accident with his kid and death of his sister to get a hold of your emotion to feel sympathy and draw you into his topic. But Its not a Propaganda. Its a boring movie but its not bad rather interesting.

While this article does make sense, I disagree with some of it.

yeah i just watched that "An Inconvenient Truth" I analyzed it. Really its not Al Gore Propaganda, Its really not, there is no hard proof. The science Exists although exaggerated in his movie. He uses the accident with his kid and death of his sister to get a hold of your emotion to feel sympathy and draw you into his topic. But Its not a Propaganda. Its a boring movie but its not bad rather interesting.

i have no idea what you are trying to say.

i have no idea what you are trying to say.

Its a General response. Because a lot of people see the Film as a giant Al Gore/Democratic propaganda.

By now watching "Inconvenient Truth" by Al Gore on Global warming I understand its not a Propaganda speech. If you see the movie you would know what I'm talking about because he goes from polar ice caps melting to when his kid got hit by a car then to heavy pollution to his sister dieing from lung cancer since his family worked on a tobacco farm.

Al Gore is a hypocrite in SO many ways... forget tobacco.

He was an avid NRA supporter for almost TWO DECADES,

then when he wanted to hook up with William Jeffreson

Clinton he stabbed all his friends in the back and turned

100% anti-gun over night. He's got no character, he's NOT

a man of principle and he's put fame/power/money ahead

of all else for years now. He's irrelevant.

CapriceDude:

You probably know this already but the Toronado in your

sig. is RWD and Chevrolet powered. It's Jay Leno's RWD

converted daisy-cutter of a muscle car. If I had the kind

of money he has I'd do the EXACT same thing to a semi-

mint Toronado just to showcase how RWD is superior.

If I had the kind

of money he has I'd do the EXACT same thing to a semi-

mint Toronado just to showcase how RWD is superior.

You could save money by just buying a Riviera, 'cause...that's all Jay Leno made this thing - a Chevy-powered Riviera with a Toronado bodyshell.

I don't remember Riviera parts being used. I do remember that not one but

TWO Corvettes were raided for a bulk of the suspension, powertrain & other

miscaleneous stuff (rear end?) Where does the Riviera Frame come in? I

guess a Riviera Frame w/ a Toronado body is pretty logical but I was under

the impression that this Toro rode on a custom tube-chassis style frame.

Haven't watched the video yet, don't have time to.

By "Global Dimming", is the author referring to the end extreme of over pollution? That there is so much smog in the sky that sunlight cannot come down?

Even in grade school, this concept was explained to me. But I had never heard of it again, until now.

Global dimming basically is that the Earth's surface isn't getting the electromagnetic irradiance that it once did. I haven't watched the documentary but from reading the summary it says that pollution in clouds causes a mirror effect and reflects this electromagnetic radiation back into space. This would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that less clouds are forming because of a lack in cosmic radiation. This is due to the Sun being the most active its been in 1000 years which causes its magnetic field to extended beyond Earth, reflecting these cosmic rays. Basically the Sun being more active then its used to and less clouds to reflect the sunlight back into space, is why the Earth is warming up. A few inconvenient truths to point out: in the 12th-13th centuries, the Earth was about 5 to 10 degrees warmer then it is now another thing and these same scientists and politicians that are talking about global warming and pushing it, were the same ones talking about global cooling 30 years ago.

Edited by ChevyNovs99

Hold onto your lightbulbs, boys and girls. Australia just banned incandescent bulbs; now the weenies in our neck of the woods have latched onto it as the next cause of the week.

These guys need attention to get funding and to get funding they need headlines. Drowing polar bears and sea water on 5th Avenue make pretty good headlines.

The only thing I see dimming around here is the average IQ of the voting public.

Hold onto your lightbulbs, boys and girls. Australia just banned incandescent bulbs; now the weenies in our neck of the woods have latched onto it as the next cause of the week.

These guys need attention to get funding and to get funding they need headlines. Drowing polar bears and sea water on 5th Avenue make pretty good headlines.

The only thing I see dimming around here is the average IQ of the voting public.

To be fair, our house, and my dad's property's are all equipped with fluorescent lights that compete with incandescents. We used to have halogen, but with these new lights, the savings are quite nice, and they are very reliable. They also emit plenty of light, and it's pretty close to an incandescent bulb.

Changing to energy efficient lights seems much more practical than something like 'carbon trading'

flourescent lights save good electricity, but their color rendition and quality of light is garbage.

its a trade off. depends if you like it or not.

Your fridge, appliances and computer use lots more energy than your lights.

When they take my LCD tv away tomorrow and bring in my new plasma I bet my electric bills will skyrocket. thing is, LCD is flourescent which is why it looked crappy.

Edited by regfootball

flourescent lights save good electricity, but their color rendition and quality of light is garbage.

its a trade off. depends if you like it or not.

Your fridge, appliances and computer use lots more energy than your lights.

When they take my LCD tv away tomorrow and bring in my new plasma I bet my electric bills will skyrocket. thing is, LCD is flourescent which is why it looked crappy.

I just bought an 37" HD LCD tv a week ago... the picture is phenomenal. As for fluorescent lights, I find the compact ones don't really have as cold a light as they used to. Having a combination of the two in a fixture or a room allows me to save some money. And when it's just me, I really don't mind the fluorescent. Years ago, I agree, they were harsh.

Flourescent lights are not "age friendly." In the kitchen, fine. In the living room? Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror at 4 in the morning after tying one on? I would want a dimmer switch in the bathroom, to be sure! LOL

When I was in Brazil, everyone was using flourescent lights, but they also use motion sensors. It is a wierd feeling to step into the hallway of your hotel and it is dark for a moment until the sensor detects you and clicks on the lights.

I am all for saving energy. I always turn out lights when I leave the room. I never run the hot water while shaving. Then again, they use flash heaters in most countries, too. I don't know why we don't get into those more in North AMerica.

I never thought about the power consumption of a plasma TV, but now that I think about it, the top of my 42" does put out a lot of heat. That should be fun once summer arrives. TV on, more A/C.

I JUST SAW THAT AFEW DAYS AGO, IT WAS BORING! I'M ACTUALLY DOING A PROCESS PAPER ON IT, IT STINKS, I MIGHT POST IT AT SOME POINT FOR FURTHER FEEDBACK. MAN, I ALMOST FELL ASLEEP!