Sketch Competition #15 - GM Resurrection

Welcome to Sketch Competition #15!

Posted Image

Revolutions bring about change and for enthusiasts of a certain model of car, the most uncomfortable change is that of a nameplate. Often, a different badge on the car changes very little about the car itself. Other times, it means a sea of difference between the old and new guard. More often than not, a car is simply dumped never to be used again.

Well, if you missed it, how about bringing it back?

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to resurrect a defunct GM nameplate as a new model. You have carte blanche to use pretty much any nameplate you want, from Sonoma to Sunbird, LeMans to LeSabre, any car you were fond of or think would fit nicely as a contemporary vehicle. You will probably want to keep your creation as close to what it originally was, like a van called the Astro or a powerful car called the 442. Specific detailing is completely up to you. Your sketch should include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:

-3/4 Front View
-3/4 Rear View
-Interior View

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views, the better, including ones not specifically listed above. Also, if you want to include special features, by all means point them out!

Aside from 800x600 size guidelines, remember this must be a GM vehicle.

The winner will recieve a GM-related prize!

Deadline is Thursday, March 22nd @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck! :CG_all:

I love the idea, it's just that there's too much for me to choose from! The Regal, the Chevelle, the Blazer, the LeSabre, the Skylark, the Eldorado, the Riviera (I just did that though), not to mention all the great Oldsmobiles! Maybe this should be split into a two part competition?

Well if not, I think I know what I'm doing. It'll be very unexpected.

I just found this forum while searching for pics of my favorite muscle car, the SLP Firehawk Trans Am. I can't believe you guys are holding a design competition!! :)

. I am a frustrated automotive designer wannabe and would LOVE to send you some designs. What are the guidelines in terms of media, image size, format, etc.

I currently drive a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora, so maybe I'll do one of those or a current TransAm. How many entrees are we allowed?

Oh wait. I just read the post about the Oldsmobiles. Okay, how about a 2008 TransAm or Bonneville GXP?

Edited by JBarraxJr

I just found this forum while searching for pics of my favorite muscle car, the SLP Firehawk Trans Am. I can't believe you guys are holding a design competition!! :)

. I am a frustrated automotive designer wannabe and would LOVE to send you some designs. What are the guidelines in terms of media, image size, format, etc.

I currently drive a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora, so maybe I'll do one of those or a current TransAm. How many entrees are we allowed?

Oh wait. I just read the post about the Oldsmobiles. Okay, how about a 2008 TransAm or Bonneville GXP?

Welcome! :wavey:

As stated above, your entry must be an original creation, not a Photoshop of an existing image. Entries can be hand-drawn and scanned or drawn with graphic design software on the computer. I would prefer a .jpg, .jpeg, or .gif but please no .bmp files because these take up more space and require conversion. Please keep your final submission to somewhere around 800x600 pixels.

You may enter as many as you wish, keeping in mind that many good entries may have the effect of 'splitting' your vote.

Can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

Chevrolet needs a two door version of its upcoming family four door, the new Malibu. Many take issue with the Monte Carlo making the change to front wheel drive in 1995. And naming this new FWD coupe a Chevelle, referencing the nameplates old marriage to the Malibu? That would be just as conflicting, if not more so. This leads to the question: what respectible midsized, front-wheel-drive coupe has Chevrolet had?

I think GM hit the nail on the head in 1990 when they introduced the Chevrolet Lumina Z34. With a 3.4L DOHC V6 producing 210Hp it made 0-60 in 7.2 seconds, and a slightly sportier suspension, it was decent for the time. That's sport, but not super. And Chevy recognized this by not calling it a Monte Carlo, and badging it not SS, but Z34 instead. At the same time, it was still a practical, affordable car. They could do that today. It's not meant to be something tremendous and top of the line; there's an upcoming Camaro and Impala for that. Just a good, somewhat sporty FWD coupe, and something that doesn't try to be what it's not.

Posted Image

Okay so it's not a realistic possibility at all. But I went for something original! Not to mention my daily driver is a '92 Z34. :thumbsup:

http://www.geocities.com/luminaz34page/zcop1.jpg

for reference; not my car

Edited by Zulehan

Good job Zulehan!! I have always loved those cars too unfortunately I can't find one that would be in good enough condition for me. I was actually going to do a redo of the Beretta so I guess we are almost on the same boat of being original. I would buy that. Keep up the good work.

Mario Bro, you're getting a lot better. Looks like a Gallardo. That's not what I would envision the next Eldorado to be, but not a bad idea. I might suggest more than four spokes for your next rims, though those are certainly better than before. The interior, while the dimensions aren't bad, doesn't look very upscale. Kinda looks like it might belong in a Aveo. Look at the interiors of current Cadillacs for the crisp, sweeping interior lines and upright forms.

MarioBro, You've improved. I agree with Zulehan though, that interior isn't very upscale.

Anyway, here's my first two sketches (not final entries) of the Quad Coupe Chevy Vega. RWD, and on a Modified Kappa (or Shortened Zeta) frame. No V8 Folks, Just a series of Turbo/ Non Turbo Fours.

Be Glad I did the Vega, My original Ideas were the Cimmaron, Citation and Corsica. :blink:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pontiac Fiero

I'm a little rusty, havent drawn in at least 3 months... thankfully this contest gave me a bit of inspiration, so i hope you guys like it

Posted Image

Hello, all. I've had this design in my notebook for months, I just discovered this comptetition a few days ago, and I cobbled together these sketches last night. It's an Eldorado Touring Coupe. It was inspired by the '67 and '68 Eldorado, and I tried to interpret it in the A&S look without making it too blatantly retro.

I apologize if the quality seems poor, but my scanner did not like the drawing much and I had to retrace it twice to make it visible.

post-4034-1174616551_thumb.jpg

Hello, all. I've had this design in my notebook for months, I just discovered this comptetition a few days ago, and I cobbled together these sketches last night. It's an Eldorado Touring Coupe. It was inspired by the '67 and '68 Eldorado, and I tried to interpret it in the A&S look without making it too blatantly retro.

I apologize if the quality seems poor, but my scanner did not like the drawing much and I had to retrace it twice to make it visible.

post-4034-1174616551_thumb.jpg

Look all I can draw it stick people, so you're way better than me. Also welcome to C&G! :smilewide: