REAL LIFE ENCLAVE PICS

Ur_pimp

Styling is a personal choice. I do not like the looks on the front at all. It's just too busy. That grill has got to go. Looks better in a dark color however

Agreed. I just don't like it. Some of the overpowering Buick grilles look more like the front of sperm whales. Sorry.

I'm beginning to like the Enclave less and less. It looks really awkward to me in these pics. And yes, it looks almost exactly like the Santa Fe in the rear.

Unfortunately, I kind of agree with you, especially after I've seen and sat in the Acadia. Perhaps it's just these photos, though? Other Enclave photos I've seen make the car look great and in person it's beautiful. I have no problem with the two-tone base models (I think it adds something). I think the wheels are the biggest problem in these pictures, they're too small.

Well it didn't take long for all the negative-Nancy's to come out of the works, did it?

When the concept came out and even when the production version came out, out of the over 200 people that voted on its design in the C&G forum alone less than 10 people called it average or disliked it... LESS THAN 10... in fact only 4 of us C&Gers had a negative reaction to it.

For some reason, like magic, nit-picking comes along and the discussion of the Enclave in this thread does not reflect the same positive reaction to the vehicle the polls did.

Let me point out that if you look hard enough at one thing long enough you will find fault in it. This is true for anything.

So in Buick's defense I've come along to make everyone take a step back and realize the quality and prominence of the vehicle that virtually everyone saw originally in it.

First off- the back end and its relation to the Santa Fe.

I hate that I actually have to compare the two because it's glaringly obvious how dissimilar the two are but it seems a lot of people judge similarities on vehicles on where the taillights are placed and little else.

Posted Image

Posted Image

First thing let's remember that there needs to be a window in the back. When it comes to this most companies choose to have a nice big rectangle in the back. The Rendezvous was one of these and there are a few examples below of others like this. However Hyundai, in their infinite wisdom, chose to slightly round the back window. By doing this they almost trick people in to thinking it has a bit of unique styling even though it heavily imitates the common square design of most other SUV rear windows. And when scrutinized, it hardly even differentiates from a big rectangular rear window.

Now the Enclave: The rounded rear end is much smoother and more voluptuous than the Santa Fe with obvious attention to detail. The most notable thing being the bump above the Buick symbol giving the window more character than any SUV window to date. It's most definitely not a big rectangle, and in fact, doesn't even come close to being one. The Santa Fe, though some people actually noticed the attempted curved window, still is very much a rectangle.

Onward to the quality. In a far away snapshot like the one above of the Santa Fe the poor quality is still very visible. The bulky trunk lip sticks out awkwardly and poorly thought of by the exterior designers who I assume were trying to attempt some sort of cohesion with the vehicle. The lip above the window pops out attempting to create God-knows-what for the design. In fact the rear end of this vehicle is COVERED in lips. The plastic near the bottom (which almost all SUVs have by the way) is obviously cheaper and doesn't even appear to look glossy (and even creates an unnecessary extra lip). You might as well sail a kayak through the gaps throughout the whole rear-end. And to top it all off... there is a handle that looks more like an afterthought than anything else on the rear.

Now the Enclave: No awkward bumps or sudden stops. Smooth the whole way round... including the transition from paint-to-plastic. There is only one necessary lip and it does its duty to hide the awkward handle (while the Santa Fe's lip must just be for more lip-decoration). Accented chrome (and from what I can tell it's actual metal, not that plastic chrome where the paint fades away in a few year) brings the Enclave above ergonomics to elegance. Quality is so prevalent compared to the Santa Fe it's annoying that taillights can determine so much for some people. The Enclave rear end is clean, smooth, detailed (no huge gaps), elegant and minimal.

None of the above matters to some people... "The lights!" they scream, "look at the lights! They're similar in shape and position!"

so they are. In fact light positioning matters so much to some people that they can (and have in this thread) make distorted comparisons to the Touareg and Lexus. So now let's bring them in too so we can settle it all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I could draw more comparisons between the Touareg and Santa Fe than I could between the Touareg and Enclave. Some things being the mostly square window, the roughness where the rear-door meets the rest of the vehicle, crappy plastic, unnecessary lips... EVEN the RX 350 doesn't completely eliminate that same awkwardness but the Enclave does it, and does it well. It is a common Buick trait for taillights to be horizontal rather than vertical (Cadillac prides itself on its vertical lights) so there is no strangeness there. Also with the Rendezvous as well as most of Buick cars have always brought their tail-lights around to the side of the vehicle... no surprises there. There is definitely far more quality in the tail-lights themselves than the Santa Fe, Touareg, and even the popular (in the 90s) altezza lighting system the RX 350 uses. The lights are bigger, wider, and more jewel-like in the Enclave than the Santa Fe.

Lastly and probably the most importantly Hyundai is NOTORIOUS for stealing styling cues and the Santa Fe is new as of 2007. The Enclave concept came out in late 2005/early 2006 which gave enough time for anyone in Hyundai who heard the hype of the Buick Enclave to make a quick change to the taillights to give it a resemblance. Hyundai lives off of others images and there is nothing to point out that Buick "stole" the design... rather it is quite the opposite.

The other thing I want to cover is the "two-tone" problem a lot are having. All of the above vehicles have the same plastic molding on their vehicles. In fact almost all SUVs come with this plastic molding that is on the Enclave. However it should be important to note that it is going to be available without the plastic as well considering the "production" version that came out a while ago was not two-toned. So instead of complaining about the option of two-tone... be happy you have the option. Most other companies do not- the plastic comes regardless.

Lastly I'd like to cover the "toothy grille" that became a recent issue as well (which was not an issue when it was debuted at least to almost anyone who voted). Buick is about overt grilles and in fact some of the most memorable and revered Buicks of yore were ones with toothy grilles... so if that's your complaint you just must not like Buick. Prominence in the grille is a common Buick trait from the Park Avenue all the way back to the 40s Roadmasters.

As I said in the beginning if you look at something long enough anyone can become critical. This is a near faultless vehicle exteriorly and everyone but 9 people agreed when it debuted. So it seems that this thread (and any of the others that seem to contain a more than usual complaining about this vehicle) is the result of people who need something to complain about. In that case I suggest you join a Hyundai forum because you will have a field day. This vehicle is excellent and completely unique and is setting the new standard of SUVs even for Lexus. Continual downplaying of that is just annoying, there are no serious problems with this vehicle at all. I think it should be perfectly clear that the difference between a Santa Fe rear and an Enclave rear is the difference between amateur and professional.

And if you insist that they're similar... you might want to realize that the Enclave debuted as a concept in plenty of time for Hyundai to notice the benefits of stealing styling cues for their new upcoming replacement Santa Fe. And considering the thief of the automotive styling world has consistently been Hyundai well above any other company you might want to start complaining about that... NOT the Enclave.

And I also think it's important to remember what a Buick SUV was a single generation ago (and it still sold like gold... AND it was two-toned during its heyday):

Posted Image

Please people. Be a little bit more positive about the Enclave. Buick did something very right and for once you can't point out any serious faults. And when it debuted over 200 C&Gers agreed. What happened?

Edited by Cananopie

Thank you Cananopie, for bringing back a little sanity.

I happen to think the base model looks great, especially for a base model. Like Ur_pimp said, these pictures are grainy, and done on the fly, not to mention in somewhat shiesty weather, so I have a good feeling that it'll look way better in person.

When the concept came out and even when the production version came out, out of the over 200 people that voted on its design in the C&G forum alone less than 10 people called it average or disliked it... LESS THAN 10... in fact only 4 of us C&Gers had a negative reaction to it.

For some reason, like magic, nit-picking comes along and the discussion of the Enclave in this thread does not reflect the same positive reaction to the vehicle the polls did.

it's natural for people to grow and as we experience more art and design, our opinions mature and that is reflected here. people are only responding to what is on the market now versus what was on the market when buick first debuted the enclave. this is the danger with showing cars so long before introl; any design ages over time, and people get used to it. when enclave first debuted there was literally almost nothing on the road like it. now suvs with that rear end really are a dime and a dozen [or however that expression goes]; and they're on the road which is where we get to see them everday.

when enclave hits the road is when the real reaction to the design will come forth, and I can guarantee you it'll be a mostly positive reaction. i'd be more worried about the trim choices GM goes with, and specifically the wheels that are such a make or break feature for car design.

as for the comparison to the hyundai; well you went into a lot of detail to prove something that is the truth and doesn't need as much as you said to prove ti; we all know there are plenty of SUVs that look like the enclave from the rear now, and the hyundai is just one, unflattering, comparison. the first thing i thought of was audi q7, and then i thought of all the buicky things that are there. I happen to think the dead on rear shot is plenty refined and muscley looking; and it's a million times more detailed, sophisticated and cleaner than the hyundai which looks like the economy car it is. I think GM struck a nice balance with using Buick cues and using something new in the rear; it's the sides and front that I'm not so sure about anymore. But the reaction will be strong, because it is a strong statement, and elegant from a brand that previously lived nowhere close to those descriptives, and because of that there will be enthusiasm.

I personally still like the Enclave very much, regardless of the few problems I have with it. However, people still have the right to their own opinion, in case you've forgot. To those calling out others simply because they're starting to like it less or think it has some similarities to other crossovers... Grow up. Please. Someone happens to have a difference in opinion and all you can do is try to turn something subjective into something objective. :rolleyes:

Lastly and probably the most importantly Hyundai is NOTORIOUS for stealing styling cues and the Santa Fe is new as of 2007. The Enclave concept came out in late 2005/early 2006 which gave enough time for anyone in Hyundai who heard the hype of the Buick Enclave to make a quick change to the taillights to give it a resemblance. Hyundai lives off of others images and there is nothing to point out that Buick "stole" the design... rather it is quite the opposite.

And if you insist that they're similar... you might want to realize that the Enclave debuted as a concept in plenty of time for Hyundai to notice the benefits of stealing styling cues for their new upcoming replacement Santa Fe. And considering the thief of the automotive styling world has consistently been Hyundai well above any other company you might want to start complaining about that... NOT the Enclave.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. FYI, both the 2007 Santa Fe and Enclave concept debuted at the 2006 NAIAS and I remember that the Santa Fe had been shown before it officially debuted (whether intentional, leaked, or spied). So to even suggest that Hyundai stole styling cues from the Enclave is nonsense. More or less, it's just a coincidence if anyone thinks they look similar. Personally, I do see similarities, but I see more dissimilarities.

To those calling out others simply because they're starting to like it less or think it has some similarities to other crossovers... Grow up. Please. Someone happens to have a difference in opinion and all you can do is try to turn something subjective into something objective. :rolleyes:

I think you're looking in to what I did too much. I did not "call anyone out" and only addressed the recent complaints of the Enclave. I gave a compelling argument on why your opinion about the Enclave should change if it has started to slide to the negative side as it seems some are doing. Multiple people brought up the Enclave/Santa Fe thing, some about the grille, some about two-tone... these were a myriad of complaints I addressed all at once. I am only keeping the heart of any internet forum alive by creating compelling arguments not to find fault in the Enclave, obviously if you disagree then that is your opinion. I very much know the difference between subjective and objective and I wasn't passing my argument as complete fact, rather my strong opinion on the subject. I mean God, it's mostly about exterior design! I'll be the first to tell you that's subjective especially considering my passion for Buicks which is not a common company to love so I'm usually fighting an uphill battle with my opinion.

The Santa Fe comparison was a hot topic in this thread, I addressed it and already I've gotten more positive comments on it than my last 30 posts combined probably so it's not an opinion that I alone have. I seriously don't even remember what member said what about each thing I addressed, they were just in my head from following the post. I think I articulated my points well, albeit maybe a bit windy, but a big passion of mine is writing and so when I see a myriad of complaints on the vehicle and remember distinctly what a positive reaction it got on the C&G polls I have a pretty compelling argument that things are beginning to be nit-picked. However I'll admit to the end it's my opinion.

I am not here for the C&G drama unless it is a passionate argument about a vehicle in which I thought I made. I'm not here to snip at anyone in particular, I don't roll that way and anyone who does is pretty lame. This is a forum and we have better things to do than get in to online bitch matches. For example earlier in this post Northstar was the first one (I think) to point out the Santa Fe comparison and I made a little comment about it in a lighthearted way... comparisons to the Santa Fe continued and it concerned me... however I harbor no hard feelings toward Northstar for being the one who originally brought it up and in no way was i referring directly to him when I said things like "Some people like to judge a vehicle strictly by the placement of the lights"... it wasn't a jab at him or anyone else in particular, most of the time I agree strongly with his opinion and I hope my opposing opinion does not feel like a personal attack. If anyone here feels personally attacked from my post, by all means, I apologize.

But otherwise please don't take those kind of jabs at me. I know it's opinion. And when I have the time and the passion I can come up with something like above to defend the Enclave or whatever other Buick from anyone (in my very humble opinion) is attempting to nit-pick. I thought what I wrote was a good article that set up a little bit of a shield for the Enclave, because there are some (no one in particular, but I can read it in certain comments) that seem to find fault with Buick no matter what it does. It has turned in to one of those companies that even when it outperforms its competitors people want and expect more. It's like the Cinderella (before the glass slipper) or Harry Potter (before finding out he was a wizard) of car companies that no matter how hard it tries and what it does there are 10 more people to complain than there are to the one who likes it. And I do believe it's an image problem and not a quality problem.

I enjoy defending Buick and it's the only GM brand I can really get in to... so when I write a huge post like I did please don't take offense and remember what C&G is for... sharing opinions on vehicles... don't get offended when that happens.

Edited by Cananopie

I think you're looking in to what I did too much. I did not "call anyone out" and only addressed the recent complaints of the Enclave. I gave a compelling argument on why your opinion about the Enclave should change if it has started to slide to the negative side as it seems some are doing. Multiple people brought up the Enclave/Santa Fe thing, some about the grille, some about two-tone... these were a myriad of complaints I addressed all at once. I am only keeping the heart of any internet forum alive by creating compelling arguments not to find fault in the Enclave, obviously if you disagree then that is your opinion. I very much know the difference between subjective and objective and I wasn't passing my argument as complete fact, rather my strong opinion on the subject. I mean God, it's mostly about exterior design! I'll be the first to tell you that's subjective especially considering my passion for Buicks which is not a common company to love so I'm usually fighting an uphill battle with my opinion.

The Santa Fe comparison was a hot topic in this thread, I addressed it and already I've gotten more positive comments on it than my last 30 posts combined probably so it's not an opinion that I alone have. I seriously don't even remember what member said what about each thing I addressed, they were just in my head from following the post. I think I articulated my points well, albeit maybe a bit windy, but a big passion of mine is writing and so when I see a myriad of complaints on the vehicle and remember distinctly what a positive reaction it got on the C&G polls I have a pretty compelling argument that things are beginning to be nit-picked. However I'll admit to the end it's my opinion.

I am not here for the C&G drama unless it is a passionate argument about a vehicle in which I thought I made. I'm not here to snip at anyone in particular, I don't roll that way and anyone who does is pretty lame. This is a forum and we have better things to do than get in to online bitch matches. For example earlier in this post Northstar was the first one (I think) to point out the Santa Fe comparison and I made a little comment about it in a lighthearted way... comparisons to the Santa Fe continued and it concerned me... however I harbor no hard feelings toward Northstar for being the one who originally brought it up and in no way was i referring directly to him when I said things like "Some people like to judge a vehicle strictly by the placement of the lights"... it wasn't a jab at him or anyone else in particular, most of the time I agree strongly with his opinion and I hope my opposing opinion does not feel like a personal attack. If anyone here feels personally attacked from my post, by all means, I apologize.

But otherwise please don't take those kind of jabs at me. I know it's opinion. And when I have the time and the passion I can come up with something like above to defend the Enclave or whatever other Buick from anyone (in my very humble opinion) is attempting to nit-pick. I thought what I wrote was a good article that set up a little bit of a shield for the Enclave, because there are some (no one in particular, but I can read it in certain comments) that seem to find fault with Buick no matter what it does. It has turned in to one of those companies that even when it outperforms its competitors people want and expect more. It's like the Cinderella (before the glass slipper) or Harry Potter (before finding out he was a wizard) of car companies that no matter how hard it tries and what it does there are 10 more people to complain than there are to the one who likes it. And I do believe it's an image problem and not a quality problem.

I enjoy defending Buick and it's the only GM brand I can really get in to... so when I write a huge post like I did please don't take offense and remember what C&G is for... sharing opinions on vehicles... don't get offended when that happens.

Actually, it was me who first brought up how the rear looked like the Santa Fe. And it was lighthearted, and I wasn't just referring to the tail lamps. There were several other elements that reminded me of the Santa Fe. I'm not saying the entire vehicle looked like that, I'm just saying when I first glanced at the rear, it reminded me of a Santa Fe. I also stated how I didn't think silver was a good color for this vehicle. The chrome gets washed out.

it's natural for people to grow and as we experience more art and design, our opinions mature and that is reflected here. people are only responding to what is on the market now versus what was on the market when buick first debuted the enclave. this is the danger with showing cars so long before introl; any design ages over time, and people get used to it. when enclave first debuted there was literally almost nothing on the road like it. now suvs with that rear end really are a dime and a dozen [or however that expression goes]; and they're on the road which is where we get to see them everday.

when enclave hits the road is when the real reaction to the design will come forth, and I can guarantee you it'll be a mostly positive reaction. i'd be more worried about the trim choices GM goes with, and specifically the wheels that are such a make or break feature for car design.

as for the comparison to the hyundai; well you went into a lot of detail to prove something that is the truth and doesn't need as much as you said to prove ti; we all know there are plenty of SUVs that look like the enclave from the rear now, and the hyundai is just one, unflattering, comparison. the first thing i thought of was audi q7, and then i thought of all the buicky things that are there. I happen to think the dead on rear shot is plenty refined and muscley looking; and it's a million times more detailed, sophisticated and cleaner than the hyundai which looks like the economy car it is. I think GM struck a nice balance with using Buick cues and using something new in the rear; it's the sides and front that I'm not so sure about anymore. But the reaction will be strong, because it is a strong statement, and elegant from a brand that previously lived nowhere close to those descriptives, and because of that there will be enthusiasm.

Personally I believe the Enclave still very much stands out, including the rear end. The general shape of the entire Enclave I'll admit is used in something like the q7, but the fact that you'd have to throw $10k to $20k more down for the q7 only boasts more the Enclave. I really do believe the Enclave still sets a standard for current SUVs (CUVs, whatever). I think it has leaped over its price-range competitors and continues to show the affordable luxury that Buick should encompass in its vehicles despite whatever their weekly slogan is.

The upgrade from something like the Rendezvous was not only a good idea, it was necessary. The only reason Buick didnt live anywhere near those descriptions was because of the troubles at GM forced GM to cut corners and since Buicks sold themselves for years they were able to spend money elsewhere. The Enclave is a step toward GM showing its appreciation for a brand that got hundreds of thousands of sales on reputation and not necessarily quality (think of both gens of 90s Skylarks for example). And even today Buick still holds enough reputation to keep the Avalon from taking what Toyota I'm sure sees as gimme sales... They're the King of bread-and-butter cars but when it comes to a fullsize car thousands more still go for a Buick instead.

When the Rendezvous came out, especially after the contempt for the Aztec, nobody expected Buick to make the sales it did on it. I mean- it wasn't fooling anyone, it was a cousin of the Aztec... yet Buick sold it and sold it well. Now Buick has a serious vehicle on their hands and I'm predicting amazing sales, and thats not me being optimistic, it's me being realistic based on the success of the Rendezvous, and the improvements Buick and GM did to their next gen SUV (the Enclave) that the Rendezvous was seriously missing... including the design, 6 speed tranny, more refinement, etc. Buick already had a winning SUV with the Rendezvous, I see no reason why the Enclave should do worse.

I don't think the design has gotten that old in the last year. Nothing came as a surprise, I think it's just a few of us car enthusiasts are just tired of waiting for it and found things to nit-pick about it. Obviously the real answer will be when it debuts.

Edited by Cananopie

Actually, it was me who first brought up how the rear looked like the Santa Fe. And it was lighthearted, and I wasn't just referring to the tail lamps. There were several other elements that reminded me of the Santa Fe. I'm not saying the entire vehicle looked like that, I'm just saying when I first glanced at the rear, it reminded me of a Santa Fe. I also stated how I didn't think silver was a good color for this vehicle. The chrome gets washed out.

Right, that's what I'm trying to say, what I wrote up there was not one persons opinion I reemed out, it was the general feeling I got about the thread and where most of the similarities and complaints were coming from. I definitely see where someone can make a quick glance and mistake it, mostly because of light placement (in my opinion), but I wasn't aiming it at you, or anyone else.

Things like the silver washing out the chrome is not something I disagree with and something I don't feel too strongly about... but i just had to defend the Enclave from the Santa Fe, just had to.

I wasn't calling you out specifically... More or less, it was directed towards anyone complaining about others not liking the Enclave. If they don't like it, so be it. If they feel it looks like something else, so be it. It's their opinion whether it's "nit-picky" or not. It's to the point of mocking other's opinions and I didn't agree with it. That's all I was saying. You weren't the worst offender, or the first at that. I simply felt the need to say something. :P

As far as yourself, I can completely understand being passionate and wanting to defend your brand. There's no fault in that.

Posted Image

A very nice color - even with the contrasting cladding on the bottom. Much better than silver. This would look great with a black leather interior.

Can't wait to see them in person. I predict this will be GM's biggest Lambda seller until the Chevy Nomad comes out in 2008 as a 2009 model.

I don't think the design has gotten that old in the last year. Nothing came as a surprise, I think it's just a few of us car enthusiasts are just tired of waiting for it and found things to nit-pick about it. Obviously the real answer will be when it debuts.

No, I don't think it has gotten old either. It's still fresh, but the contenders on the market seem to all have copied the ideas or had the same ideas in mind.

I think with that issue of people feeling like they've gotten used to seeing something a lot, while not actually having real life impressions, opinions can often be exaggerated or slightly flawed. I mean, most people here haven't seen the car on the road, moving, where all angles and lines, and colors can be appreciated. I still think the Enclave when I see it in person will impress me just as much as the Outlook and Acadia have, which is a good thing. Silverado has also grown on me a lot, even though I never disliked it, but seeing it's chunky good looking face on the road more often has converted me. I always thought the Edge was a good looking SUV, now that I've seen a few on the road in different colors and got to admire the stance and height relative to other vehicles, it's become even better looking to me. But those commercials are killing it for me.