BMW M3 Will Honk 420 hp

Z-06

Clickety

MUNICH, Germany — As the date for BMW's launch of its new M3 approaches, the company is carefully orchestrating the release of information. Only a few weeks after we got acquainted with the new coupe's exterior shape, BMW is giving details about the engine — and it'll be a V8.

The specs show how BMW has raised the performance-coupe stakes. Now that the M5 comes equipped with a V10, a mere six-cylinder power plant is no longer sufficient for the M3. So the engineers lopped off one engine bank from the V10 to come up with a scorching V8 power plant.

Four liters, 420 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque at 3,900 rpm: The numbers tell you everything you need to know. Also, 85 percent of torque is available from just 2,000 rpm, which will probably be enough to propel the M3 to 60 mph within 6 seconds — but BMW has not released performance numbers yet.

For now, we can be satisfied with the technical details of the engine: It is made of alloy and composite, hence it weighs only 445 pounds. Among its features are variable camshaft control, double VANOS valve lift system and uprated engine management control.

What this means to you: BMW is justly known for its engines — and it looks like the power plant for the new M3 is yet another masterpiece.

Not Impressive Weight Buddy, the LS7 is 458 lb for a honking 7.0L. Although it is a OHV compared to the million part motor that BMW V-8 will be.

BMW is all about the power of the inline-6, I guess this was bound to happen though.

What was it Evok said about the V8 being "dead"? :rolleyes:

'Lopping one bank off' a V-10 would give you an I-5.

420 HP for the future M3 when the outgoing CTS-V has 400?? Umm, OK...

The outgoing M3 though will outperform a CTS-V...(with the CTS-V probably being a bit faster on the highway)...

I really don't like that the M3 is straying from the I6...Granted, I just don't care for the V10 (no matter how great it truly is) which means I really don't care for the V8 that is based off of it. I understand all the F1 inspired stuff...but I like torque, and the new ///M engines just don't provide that. In fact, I think the only BMW engines that make more torque than hp are the non-M V8's...

The outgoing M3 though will outperform a CTS-V...(with the CTS-V probably being a bit faster on the highway)...

I really don't like that the M3 is straying from the I6...Granted, I just don't care for the V10 (no matter how great it truly is) which means I really don't care for the V8 that is based off of it. I understand all the F1 inspired stuff...but I like torque, and the new ///M engines just don't provide that. In fact, I think the only BMW engines that make more torque than hp are the non-M V8's...

What's interesting is that the 335i has more torque, and it comes at lower RPMs (300 lb-ft @ 1400) to boot.

In a way, this small, high-revving V8 will still be like the traditional high-revving I6 M3s of old. It'll just have more power.

If you want torque you could always get an AMG Mercedes. :P Or the '99-'03 M5.

Or a CTS-V.

The only reason I'd get a CTS-V is for the potential of the LS2/6...otherwise, I'd much rather have an e39 M5 (which while it didn't make more torque than hp, it still made plenty of it in relation to hp...unlike these newer ///M engines)

I'm just interested in seeing what can be done with this V8...as it is right now, with some slight mods like a tune and exhaust a 335 puts out well over the acclaimed numbers for the new M3, and makes more torque than the new M3 stock.

Edited by Nick

Sounds sweet! After Lutz completely destroys Pontiac I will most likely move over to BMW as my personal car of choice.

You have to be kidding, right? This statement made absolutely no sense.

The outgoing M3 though will outperform a CTS-V...

Questionable, at best. That's ok, though. We'll see how the new M3 compares with a 500hp CTS-V.

You have to be kidding, right? This statement made absolutely no sense.

I don't see the argument either...Pontiac's been on life support for ages, building blah FWD rental cars..they are finally turning things around with the Solstice and G8..

Questionable, at best. That's ok, though. We'll see how the new M3 compares with a 500hp CTS-V.

I'd rather have the M3 for its compact size and 2drs. The CTS-v is more a competitor for the M5, IMHO...

BMW needs to play catchup now to the RS4..this should help...but I like the Audi better.

The BMW is a better drivers car, so in my opinion sometimes it does not matter how much h.p. you have. The new CTS-V I think will fall in that category, a way better driving car than the outgoing one.

I don't see the argument either...Pontiac's been on life support for ages, building blah FWD rental cars..they are finally turning things around with the Solstice and G8..

Exactly.

After Lutz completely destroys Pontiac

I'm not really sure how the Solstice, G8, and possible GTO/Firebird/RWD G6 are going to destroy Pontiac.

Edited by bcs296

Considering the curb weight of the new CTS (3,800lbs + for the V6 versions) I think the lighter M3 will most likely do just fine with 420hp.

Exactly..the current CTS-v is about 4000lbs isn't it? The next one will likely be heavier...

The 2010 Camaro will be cooler for three reasons:

1. Cheaper to buy

2. Cheaper to maintain

3. HARDTOP!