Toyota Tops GM in 1Q Global Auto Sales

>>"Toyota has done the impossible....in a generation, they've overtaken the world's largest company as the #1 producer of automobiles. We can all debate how it was done, or critique Toyota's past, current or future, but, the bottom line is that this is a historic achievement."<<

A generation is 20 years... toyota has been selling in this country since 1949; by my calculator that's HALF the timeline of the entire automobile industry (I realize the thrust here is global sales). Not sure that's quite so "historic" and I don't see where 'a generation' defines anything here.

GM surpassed Ford to become #1 in only 23 years.

- - - - - -

There was an Associated Press pic with the article on this in my local paper yesterday, showing toyota pres Watanabe leaning against one of the (stolen ferrari tech) toyota F1 cars, looking slightly skyward with a teeth-splintering, &#036;h&#33;-eating, ear-to-ear grin, one clenched fist pumping the air above him.

So much for worrying about market basklash (who here bought that bullsh!t story?). :rolleyes:

>>"Toyota has done the impossible....in a generation, they've overtaken the world's largest company as the #1 producer of automobiles. We can all debate how it was done, or critique Toyota's past, current or future, but, the bottom line is that this is a historic achievement."<<

A generation is 20 years... toyota has been selling in this country since 1949; by my calculator that's HALF the timeline of the entire automobile industry (I realize the thrust here is global sales). Not sure that's quite so "historic" and I don't see where 'a generation' defines anything here.

GM surpassed Ford to become #1 in only 23 years.

- - - - - -

There was an Associated Press pic with the article on this in my local paper yesterday, showing toyota pres Watanabe leaning against one of the (stolen ferrari tech) toyota F1 cars, looking slightly skyward with a teeth-splintering, &#036;h&#33;-eating, ear-to-ear grin, one clenched fist pumping the air above him.

So much for worrying about market basklash (who here bought that bullsh!t story?). :rolleyes:

Parse words all you want.... Who would have bet in 1980 that Toyota would surpass GM in total global sales within 30 years?

Answer: NOBODY!

GM surpassed Ford due to acquisition of other companies, not singleminded growth strategies and quality product.

And, why shouldn't Toyota be proud of its achievement? You're acting like GM is not as much to blame as anyone else for this situation. If anything, GM is almost exclusively to blame for the situation.

Backlash will come, my friend...it just takes some time for the press to realize that the 'Toyota= God' stories are no longer news.

The Tundra sales mix has been critiqued heavily & I believe the F1 story will have some legs as well.

Well, aside from the numerous obvious problems at GM theres the One Trillion Yen Question.

Not exactly light reading but its short.

http://www.automotive.com/features/90/auto...8119/index.html

btw, GM needs 4X as many workers to build 2X the amount of cars as Toyota.

Toyota may be inadvertantly saving GM and they are arguably getting them to build better vehicles.

There's not doubt the Japs have forced GM to build better product. Nothing improves product better than quality competition.

I want to tell one thing to the Congress. Do you want to level the field, then push Japan to open up their automotive sector to their foreigners.

Don't you think it is fair for GM to compete there? Build plants there and say in Japanese how they are helping Japanese economy.

found an interestin story about it on MSN entitled "what killed GM"

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Inves...FadestoNo2.aspx

first of all in my mind GM has not been killed. we lost the number one spot. whoopie. you cant be on top of the the game forever. let toyota have it. everyone has been heralding their mythical feats of car design and quality but you know once you get up there and in the spotlight the critiquing begins... then the faults are opened up and people that you found backing you up are now casting the first stones at the first sign of unpopularity. now this "killed" thing. has the media forgotten the car company that has been posting its biggest losses ever... FoMoCo is getting ready to crawl into its deathbed in the next 5 years in my view. then there is Chrysler. Diamler is trying to hand it off like the ugly drunk girl no one invited at a frat party. I' am glad toyota has the lime light, go for it. but just how long can you hold it? 2 years? 5 years? definately not as long as the General was in command. As for me, i like GM, i'll buy no other product. my family has had no less than 15 gm cars since i was born and granted the 85 cavalier sucked ass (which ones dont) we never had any trouble out of the rest.

In closing, congrats Toyota... now grab some vasoline and your ankles cause its your turn with the media now.

Edited by cletus8269

first of all in my mind GM has not been killed. we lost the number one spot. whoopie. you cant be on top of the the game forever. let toyota have it. everyone has been heralding their mythical feats of car design and quality but you know once you get up there and in the spotlight the critiquing begins... then the faults are opened up and people that you found backing you up are now casting the first stones at the first sign of unpopularity. now this "killed" thing. has the media forgotten the car company that has been posting its biggest losses ever... FoMoCo is getting ready to crawl into its deathbed in the next 5 years in my view. then there is Chrysler. Diamler is trying to hand it off like the ugly drunk girl no one invited at a frat party. I' am glad toyota has the lime light, go for it. but just how long can you hold it? 2 years? 5 years? definately not as long as the General was in command. As for me, i like GM, i'll buy no other product. my family has had no less than 15 gm cars since i was born and granted the 85 cavalier sucked ass (which ones dont) we never had any trouble out of the rest.

In closing, congrats Toyota... now grab some vasoline and your ankles cause its your turn with the media now.

Well written.

What amazes me amidst all of the hype and headlines, is that no one seems to see this situation for what it really is: an old fashioned horse race! 90,000 units in one quarter does not a victory make, this race has only just begun.

Stay-tuned.

I agree with a lot the article in the link has to say but it's also overly dramatic.

What amazes me amidst all of the hype and headlines, is that no one seems to see this situation for what it really is: an old fashioned horse race! 90,000 units in one quarter does not a victory make, this race has only just begun.

Stay-tuned.

Giddyap!

Well it might be a race, but Toyota has the wind on its back at least for the next few years. It is most likely Toyota will grab the number 1 spot by the end of this year and expand their lead by the end of next year. Toyota is increasing their sale by nearly half a million vehicle a year. That growth rate is far higher than GM's growth. In fact, Toyota predicts by end of next year they sell close to 10 million vehicle. I dont see GM growing that rapidly. Personally, I really dont care who is No1 anyway. GM itself can be used as an example that being too big can create problems. Problems that TOYOTA too is facing.

Well it might be a race, but Toyota has the wind on its back at least for the next few years. It is most likely Toyota will grab the number 1 spot by the end of this year and expand their lead by the end of next year. Toyota is increasing their sale by nearly half a million vehicle a year. That growth rate is far higher than GM's growth. In fact, Toyota predicts by end of next year they sell close to 10 million vehicle. I dont see GM growing that rapidly. Personally, I really dont care who is No1 anyway. GM itself can be used as an example that being too big can create problems. Problems that TOYOTA too is facing.

I doubt that you will see a permanent lead by anyone for some time now, the margin is too slim and there are huge variables involved. China, the fickle American market, other growing markets around the globe, labor relations, health care costs, fuel costs, the currency market, Korean competition, Chinese competition, forthcoming models, and so on. I wouldn't bet too much on seeing a decisive winner anytime soon, let alone predict who it might be.

Too many things affect the outcome.