Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

The "why" of car buying

16 posts in this topic

How many of you buy a car/truck only because it best fits your needs?

I can't do that - I have to want it as well.

I have to like everything about it. A car that looks good but is too slow for my tastes won't make the cut, and neither will a rocketship that's ugly as hell.

I will try to balance needs and wants as best I can. My daily driver has to handle the vast majority of tasks I need it for. I'll settle for adequate acceleration if it gets me the economy, utility, and affordability I need, but I don't want anything that lumbers and wallows in the twisties. Good handling and steering is a must. And of course I need to be drawn to the looks.

I buy cars based purely on want rather than need. That's how I owned 6 vehicles in the last 10 years. When I see a car that I really want, I go buy it. I can't stop myself

I have standards. They prevent me from owning vehicles that don't excite me in some way.

I feel that.

Mr. Trees, are you my brother?

I am motivated by my sense of aesthetics (usually toward a midsize coupe) so this means it's WANT-driven and, then, it has to fulfill my NEEDS: durable, affordable in terms of purchase price, fairly economical to operate and service and has "road trip" comfort.

Edited by trinacriabob

How many of you buy a car/truck only because it best fits your needs?

I can't do that - I have to want it as well.

I'm the same way, Camino.

The 2 cars I've purchased that were NOT clear "wants" ... are LONG gone ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"How could I be so blind?" ... Charly McClain ... 'Who's Cheating Who'

Every car I have gotten was a wanted one. And I have yet to be dissapointed in any of my purchases.

Maybe if/when I start a family 'need' will be considered. Right now it's no 'need' and all 'want'.

2 years ago my wife said I could lease a GTO. I wanted to. It fit the budget.

it just wasn't practical. small trunk, less mpg, only 2 doors, rwd only.

it would be nice to get something you both want and need but when something like the Edge which I like still comes without manual shift control it just pisses me off. There is still a lot of dumb things automakers do to force you go for need instead of want when you could have both.

I've only ever driven two vehicles that budget was not a major issue.

The first was my '91 Caprice wagon that I factory ordered, then put American Racing mags on it, blacked out the windows, put 8" bazookas and a Panasonic Cd system in it. I had also test-driven and considered the new Previa, the new 2nd generation Chrysler minivan and the T-Bird SC. I WANTED the T-Bird, but my practical side won out. I had a canoe. I knew I wanted to buy a power boat. The T-Bird, while gorgeous and fun to drive, would have been a nightmare in the long-haul, I reasoned.

The second vehicle was my '98 Blazer that I replaced the Caprice with when I wiped out on black ice and totalled it. For many of the same reasons above, I needed a tow vehicle. I considered the C/K pick up, but my (ex)boyfriend and I disagreed over where the dog would end up (I said in the box, he said in the cab behind us) so I spent $10k more and got a Blazer.

Blazer is gone. Boyfriend is gone. Kept the dog.

How about a nice, AMC Eagle station wagon, reg?

Mr. Trees, are you my brother?

Perhaps.

You understand what I mean. I have had people ask me why I do that. Why did I trade my '05 Silverado for an '07? I saw it, and I wanted it, what more reason than that do I need?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0