Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sixty8panther

1950s GM cars trivia

46 posts in this topic

~ What makes the 1958 model year General Motors cars

different from The 1950-1957 & 1959-up cars from GM?

You've almost answered the question...

55-57 was in a sense one generation of

car while 59-60 was another generation

but the 58s were one year only.

The 1958s were longer, wider and heavier than the 1960-1957 models. The 1959's were a longer, lower and wider than the 1958s because some marketing research said that was what consumers wanted. I think it was also part of Bill Mitchel's push to put all the vehicles on the same basic bodies. IIRC it put the Ford folks into a panic since GM was coming out with two different bodies in two years, which was unheard of at the time.

Do you mean 1950 - 1957 models?

You've almost answered the question...

55-57 was in a sense one generation of

car while 59-60 was another generation

but the 58s were one year only.

I know the '58 Chevy and '58 Pontiac were completely different from their '57s, but weren't the '58 B-O-Cs (or some of them) updated '57s?

I know the '58 Chevy and '58 Pontiac were completely different from their '57s, but weren't the '58 B-O-Cs (or some of them) updated '57s?

I thought that too. The B-O-C were just updated sheetmetal and minor hardware changes.

Revised frames & greenhouses are the most obious one year only item.

Not sure about chassis's for B-O-C, but all sheetmetal & all interiors were changed for '58. Even some glass features changed (B & O dropped the 3-piece backlight). Additionally, many other features, such as transmissions & brakes were also new in some instances... but in general it could be said, yes: the '58 Buick-Olds-Cadillac were more refreshes than complete redesigns.

However, in that everything you see from '57-58 is markedly different, I would still call them all 1-year only designs.

'58 has another distinction: the last year you could push-start a GM automatic car.

Edited by balthazar

Balthazar:

How is it possible to push start an automatic pre-59?

What is the mechanical explanation to this?

I would think the torque converter is what makes push starting an issue...?

'58 has another distinction: the last year you could push-start a GM automatic car.

Could you push start a Dynaflow?

>>"How is it possible to push start an automatic pre-59? What is the mechanical explanation to this?"<<

Not an expert here, but I've both read and unintentionally experienced this: pre-'59 HydraMatics still have a rear pump in the trans that enable's push-starting.

>>"Could you push start a Dynaflow? "<<

Yes: the directions are in the B-59 owner's manual.

Hey Balthy:

Could you give me a quick synopsis?

I've yet to buy an owner's manual for my B-59,

even a reprint would be fine if I find one.

Synopsis of push-starting a B-59?

"Place control shift lever in Neutral (N) until car speed reaches approximately 15 MPH, then shift into Low (L). Continue to increase car speed until engine cranks. After engine starts, return control lever to Neutral (N) for engine to warm up. It is safer to push car than tow it."

TwinTurbine's L is a plantery gear, independant of the 'D' stator blades...ie: TT cars do not accelerate thru L when in D.

Original shop & owner's manuals are n eBay frequently- usually $15 for the OM and maybe 45 for the SM.

Synopsis of push-starting a B-59?

"Place control shift lever in Neutral (N) until car speed reaches approximately 15 MPH, then shift into Low (L). Continue to increase car speed until engine cranks. After engine starts, return control lever to Neutral (N) for engine to warm up. It is safer to push car than tow it."

TwinTurbine's L is a plantery gear, independant of the 'D' stator blades...ie: TT cars do not accelerate thru L when in D.

Original shop & owner's manuals are n eBay frequently- usually $15 for the OM and maybe 45 for the SM.

ah, so it's not something you and 2 friends do by foot...unless you're facing down hill.

Nope. Also fairly certain it would earn you a ticket today.

Better fall back before the dead Buick drops into L, too.

Nope. Also fairly certain it would earn you a ticket today.

Better fall back before the dead Buick drops into L, too.

otherwise you're eatin fin?

We can't eat fin at any cost...

The 58 pontiac Ragtop is a great looking car. I am almost as partial to ragtops as sixty8 is to pillarless hardtops.

Chris

Thanks Balthazar.

That's crazy that the B-59 can be push-started... I had no idea.

kind of a cool feature, though. Probably a lot of people in the 1950's were used to push starting cars as they had just switched from 6v to 12v systems. I think Ford switched in 56, not sure what year G.M. and Chrysler switched.

The B-59 of course came with 12V but I wonder if people expected to be able to push start a car?

I think Volkswagen used 6v into the sixties IIRC.

Chris

Well, push-starting was a feature of both manuals & many automatics since the beginning, so yea; I guess in that sense it was expected.

Powerglide cars with rear pumps can be push started to, I've done it myself. I think the consensus is 15-20mph, depending on the gears.

1958 Chevys were a one year only deal because the "opposition" came out with long low cars in 1957. 1959 cars were rushed out in response.

What did the early 1955 Chevy V8 cars come produced WITHOUT?

If you KNOW, you won't need a hint.... ;)

CMG: oil filters?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0