Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

CR-V top-selling SUV in the U.S.

GXT

"CR-V sales have climbed 42 percent to 64,591 this year following a redesign in late 2006. "

"If the current pace holds, CR-V sales may exceed 180,000 this year, he said. That would be 13 percent more than Honda had planned and a record for an SUV made by an import brand. "

"CR-Vs stay on a dealer's lot an average of just 12 days, compared with 28 days for a RAV4 and 68 days for Ford's Escape, according to J.D. Power and Associates. "

"In 2002, about 3 million traditional, truck-based SUVs were sold in the U.S., he said. ``It will easily be less than 2 million this year,'' Pipas said. "

"The CR-V is 15 inches shorter than the Explorer, 2 inches narrower and about 1,000 pounds lighter. The Honda averages 26.3 miles per gallon in combined city and highway driving; the Explorer gets 17.5. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...=transportation

Chevy should have a four-cylinder SWB Theta. The VUE is nice, but Saturn still isn't a volume brand. I believe the Captiva is even larger than the Equinox. An HHR XC/allroad/Outback? Rebody the old VUE and sell it cheaply?

Chevy should have a four-cylinder SWB Theta. The VUE is nice, but Saturn still isn't a volume brand. I believe the Captiva is even larger than the Equinox. An HHR XC/allroad/Outback? Rebody the old VUE and sell it cheaply?

I thought the Captiva/Vue platform was smaller than Theta?

it's amazing how an ugly slow vehicle like the CRV can have such success when there are at least 3 other competitors that are superior.

I bet the CRV is cannibalzing the accord also.

the CRV is the ultimate woman friendly vehicle and that's why it's cashing in big time. it's so soft, it appeals to both sides of the fence for women. I just don't see many men getting CRv's.

Edited by regfootball

Kind of surprising Toyota didn't take the title with the Rav4. Probably because Toyota has so many models in the same price range; FJ, 4Runner, and Highlander.

The CR-V is a bit ugly, and it doesn't have the most functional folding rear seats either. I thought its rear seats functionality sucked. It doesn't even fold flat.

Weird.

If the CR-V is flying, the Vue and Rogue should do well.

The Escape has no styling, and the Compass is unanimously bashed.

Equinox is too low budget to even compare. Badly designed storage pockets, cup holders that drip condensation to the storage bins below, featureless flat bench rear seats that were designed without a center arm rest, excessively narrow cargo area, giant turning circle, steering of a 1990's truck, and tipping on 2 wheels in NHTSA testing.

Only for the most price conscious shoppers. Hopefully the last of GM's pre-turnaround madness.

Edited by JT64

"featureless flat bench rear seats that were designed without a center arm rest, excessively narrow cargo area" Looked at a 2007? Compared apples to apples? The '07 refresh upgraded the interior considerably, and its still cheaper than the CR-V.

Having said that, the new CR-V is the first one Honda has had that I would even consider. I've always thought Honda's trucks were FUGLY as hell, but the new redesign is more balanced. I love their seats!

Still, the Equinox is doing well in our market and when payments are worked out, is substantially less than the Honda. But the point is taken: we miss the Tracker. I hope GM has something amazing up their sleeves from GM-DAT for us soon.

I thought the Captiva/Vue platform was smaller than Theta?

It is Theta, just modified a bit. The VUE is certainly smaller than the American Thetas, but the Captiva is a 7-seater and hence is longer.

America just can't seem to do right these days... We can't even build a competitive SUV anymore? (BOF or otherwise)... That's it, I'm moving to Japan or Germany, but those Germans are slippin a bit too...

Well the C-RV has one thing RAV4 or Explorer don't...

CLEVER ADVERTISING!

I love the C-RV commercial where it's on a chocolate covered cherry line and gets splattered with chocolate... or the one where it's a big bag of popcorn... They don't say anything about the car, but they sure are quirky...

When was the last time you saw a standalone commercial for Explorer or RAV-4? Not recently for me. In fact, I didnt know the explorer got redesigned recently. Only the Gillettes and "trendy" new black and white tailights distinguish it from an older model. Same with Escape!

Hmm...sad

OMG. The CR-V is sooo ugly! And it doesn't come with a 500hp V6! How can it be the best selling SUV? This is impossible!!

Hmm... I wonder.... Maybe it is ugly to an enthusiast, but enthusiasts aren't the ones buying these vehicles. Maybe... just maybe... its quirky design is exactly what its target buyers want. And maybe they don't care about a 269hp V6...

OMG. The CR-V is sooo ugly! And it doesn't come with a 500hp V6! How can it be the best selling SUV? This is impossible!!

Hmm... I wonder.... Maybe it is ugly to an enthusiast, but enthusiasts aren't the ones buying these vehicles. Maybe... just maybe... its quirky design is exactly what its target buyers want. And maybe they don't care about a 269hp V6...

Wrong. Put a Chevrolet or Saturn badge on it, wouldn't sell half as much. People buy it because its a Honda, not because of any truly redeeming qualities.

I've been saying all along, including in another thread, that GM needed something the size of the Tracker again. The Tracker wasn't too bad out of the gate, but like all things GM and American (to which I shoot myself for saying), we let it slide without any MCE or upgrades. Then the Big Three complain that sales are down...well, if ya don't update a vehicle and keep it competitive, then it WILL die.

I always thought Pontiac could have saved the Aztek name. Some might argue that it's dumb to try and turn a turd like that, but I would argue that it's even more stupid to bring a product to market and then not keep it around or update it. My point for bringing the Aztek up is that they could have saved the vehicle if they had done what Subaru did and revised the exterior once they realized their car wasn't selling. Frankly I got passed the ugly exterior because I thought all its Swiss Army pocket knife features were awesome! Like a tent on the back, a cooler as a center console, outlets everywhere...what outdoorsy person WOULDN'T want a car/truck like that??

Just because the smaller 'ute probably wasn't selling well, it doesn't mean GM should have abandoned that segment of the market; same kind of arguement for leaving minivans...so why GM do we not have a Tracker anymore? Why is it that the 'Nox/Torrent are just about the smallest 'utes in North America???

The Trackers had bullet-proof power trains and were head of the class with their complete redesign in '99, but as the last poster said, GM let them rot. Plus, if anything, they were over-built for their class: true 4WD, BOF design, etc. We have had many of these people whose leases came up actually buy them out.

I think part of the problem with the Tracker was that GM has too many contractual obligations to Suzuki and others. For example, we couldn't get either the V-6 or leather until the LAST year, but the Suzuki had it all along.

There is a market for a decent 4 cylinder small-ute with off-road capability. As much as I like the Equinox, it has to cover too many bases. We need a more "athletic" looking vehicle to tackle the likes of the X-Terra and Sante Fe, which are doing very well up here.

Although I am loathe to credit Honda or Toyota, the CR-V and Rav4 are actually decent vehicles, and the reason GM is losing market share in this segment is GM's fault, not the media's or the fickle public's. The Tracker owned the market 15 years ago and GM dropped the ball, preferring to concentrate on the more profitable big SUVs. Now, as gasoline transcends the $4 a gallon market, that decision is looking a little foolish.

The Trackers had bullet-proof power trains and were head of the class with their complete redesign in '99, but as the last poster said, GM let them rot. Plus, if anything, they were over-built for their class: true 4WD, BOF design, etc. We have had many of these people whose leases came up actually buy them out.

I think part of the problem with the Tracker was that GM has too many contractual obligations to Suzuki and others. For example, we couldn't get either the V-6 or leather until the LAST year, but the Suzuki had it all along.

There is a market for a decent 4 cylinder small-ute with off-road capability. As much as I like the Equinox, it has to cover too many bases. We need a more "athletic" looking vehicle to tackle the likes of the X-Terra and Sante Fe, which are doing very well up here.

Although I am loathe to credit Honda or Toyota, the CR-V and Rav4 are actually decent vehicles, and the reason GM is losing market share in this segment is GM's fault, not the media's or the fickle public's. The Tracker owned the market 15 years ago and GM dropped the ball, preferring to concentrate on the more profitable big SUVs. Now, as gasoline transcends the $4 a gallon market, that decision is looking a little foolish.

I personally don't like the Tracker, but there were alot of customers who did. A Cobalt based small ute, below the 'nox, would have made more sense than the HHR, IMO.

I've always been surprised that GM/Suzuki didn't stay more firmly in this sector in the States, as the Vitara's grandfather, the Samurai, really got Suzuki going here in the States.

A Cobalt based small ute, below the 'nox, would have made more sense than the HHR, IMO.

That is a very nice idea. Considering the new Delta (Am I right?) Platform currently being developed for the next Astra, I wonder they will include an SUV and more importantly an all wheel drive in its design. Give it a family of 4-bangers and hybrid option and price it about around 16K for the base version and we have a winner.

I've been saying all along, including in another thread, that GM needed something the size of the Tracker again. The Tracker wasn't too bad out of the gate, but like all things GM and American (to which I shoot myself for saying), we let it slide without any MCE or upgrades. Then the Big Three complain that sales are down...well, if ya don't update a vehicle and keep it competitive, then it WILL die.

I always thought Pontiac could have saved the Aztek name. Some might argue that it's dumb to try and turn a turd like that, but I would argue that it's even more stupid to bring a product to market and then not keep it around or update it. My point for bringing the Aztek up is that they could have saved the vehicle if they had done what Subaru did and revised the exterior once they realized their car wasn't selling. Frankly I got passed the ugly exterior because I thought all its Swiss Army pocket knife features were awesome! Like a tent on the back, a cooler as a center console, outlets everywhere...what outdoorsy person WOULDN'T want a car/truck like that??

Just because the smaller 'ute probably wasn't selling well, it doesn't mean GM should have abandoned that segment of the market; same kind of arguement for leaving minivans...so why GM do we not have a Tracker anymore? Why is it that the 'Nox/Torrent are just about the smallest 'utes in North America???

this aztek owner agrees with you........

aztek 'dune'- coupe like CUV with dune buggyesque styling, rakish rear hatch line and rear jump seats

aztek 'trail' - typ. mom and pop CUV with makeshift third row

aztek 'commando'- armada sized 3 row x-over that can move 9 people and a hockey team's gear.

Edited by regfootball