Truck line may be for sale

Truck line may be for sale

International may buy GM's medium-duties

FLINT

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION

Sunday, May 13, 2007

By Todd Seibt

[email protected] • 810.766.6315

FLINT - General Motors is considering selling its medium-duty truck line, which employs about 500 people at the Flint Truck Assembly Plant, but there is no firm deal yet, sources said.

And right now, the UAW, wrapped in thorny national contract negotiations with GM and Delphi Corp., doesn't see a good reason to approve any such move.

"We are aware of these ongoing talks between the parties," said Cal Rapson of Clayton Township, vice president of the UAW's GM and Delphi departments.

While nothing formal has been presented to the UAW yet, "at this time, we see no reason to approve it," said Rapson, who declined to comment further.

To keep the peace with the UAW, it is expected that GM would at least seek informal approval for changes to the medium-duty line. About 480 workers represented by UAW Local 598 are at Flint Truck.

According to parties familiar with the discussions, GM has been in an on-again, off-again discussion with International Truck and Engine to sell the medium duty line and eventually move it to an International facility in the Midwest. …

Posted Image Go to Full article from The Flint Journal

the only advantage for gm to sell this... is to redesign their unit... make them look more modern... make them look more like chevys and GMC's...

but i disagree if the point is to get out of the medium duty trucks...

this is where ford schools gm...

How, if at all, would this affect GM's ability to meet future fuel economy standards?

Won't affect it. Anything larger than 8,000lbs GVWR is exempt from CAFE and that pretty much includes all their full-size BOF vehicles, light- and medium-heavy-duty vehicles.

Might be a good idea, then they can redesign theres...

thats what im hoping on so we can have a much more competative truck...

also id say for GM to do what ford does and make the 6500's and what not look identical to the 3500's... just huge...

but are we refering to the kodiaks for sale or the w-series or the t-series

cause i like the kodiaks..

That is a good question if it is the Kodiak/Topkick I like them alot. The W and T Series I could care less. I am betting it is all of them or just the Kodiak/Topkick, no-one in there right mind would want lil-rattley 4 banger Iszuz trucks I mean seruiosly.

Why give up your #1 position in medium trucks to re-sell products from an also-ran? I think Isuzu will have something to say about International building their trucks instead of GM. Of course, IMHO Isuzu, International ad Iveco should merge anyway. There are great synergies to be had (engine and chassis development), no major product overlap (each specializes in different style or weight-class trucks) and size advantages in combining.

I think the new CAFE proposals include medium and heavy duty trucks...

I really don't think this is a wise idea.... I HATE the fact that GM is selling EVERYTHING. Hell, they might as well have just went bankrupt or split up the company. We know who to thank for all of this selling.

Those Isuzus are great trucks, I used to drive a turbo 6cylinder version (396 CID BTW) that was the most useful landscape truck I've ever used. The cabover configuration makes a huge and positive difference in utility and the truck itself was as easy to drive as a car. I loved the thing.

It's only potential news and would not affect employment.

If it happens, it won't affect employment immediately, no. If it does happen, the assembly will eventually move out of Flint, and just judging by what GM's done in the past, that entire line will probably just shut down afterwards.

If it happens, it won't affect employment immediately, no. If it does happen, the assembly will eventually move out of Flint, and just judging by what GM's done in the past, that entire line will probably just shut down afterwards.

Yeah well maybe its just time that Flint takes care of Flint. Its a pretty big world out there.

The space and employees will switch to expanded pickup production—no change in employment and a more efficient use of the space. It will affect local upfitters more than GM employees.