Age-old battle for Buick

wildcat

An article by Rick Popely and Jim Mateja in today's Chicago Tribune, "Age-old battle for Buick: Models aimed at younger buyers haven't helped the venerable GM brand reverse a long trend of its buyers being among the oldest in the auto industry -- at 65, nearly 20 years above the average," has some interesting facts. And it also claims that "Global Insight forecasts that a smaller crossover, a version of the Saturn Vue, will arrive in 2008. In 2009, the LaCrosse is expected to be redesigned and renamed Regal, bringing back a popular nameplate. The front-wheel-drive Lucerne could be replaced by a larger rear-drive sedan in 2010, perhaps as the Riviera." Click here for the entire article.

I'm not too sure how reliable this article is and I was wondering if someone with more automotive knowledge could kind of rate the reliability of this.

I thought Buick had brought its age down considerably from the 70s when they started the overhaul... I didn't actually think they customers were getting older.

This is also the first time I heard about the Regal name coming back. However this might be possible if there is a potential for a Skylark in the market. The Regal has a much better reputation than that in recent years.

Also I'm glad the article pointed out that Buick needs a sporty vehicle. That is seriously all Buick needs for younger people to start looking at it again. If you make one desirable product it permeates through the others. While the current Buick cars are functional they are not exciting.

I do not remember where I read it, but I have seen an article, where they stated that Buick dropped its average buyer's age to 53. from the original 65 with the introduction of the Lucerne.

If BPG dealers can successfully sell both the Enclave and Acadia, then perhaps there is an argument for giving Buick a version of the upcoming GMC replacement for the Pontiac Torrent and perhaps a smaller car, like the rumored Chinese Skylark. But as the article states, I have long believed that Buick's future depends upon a Chrysler 300 competitor.

This is also the first time I heard about the Regal name coming back. However this might be possible if there is a potential for a Skylark in the market. The Regal has a much better reputation than that in recent years.

I don't remember where it was, but there was an article posted on C&G about the NG LaCrosse being renamed Regal. However the rest of the article that stated that had some pretty wild claims, some of which were extremely hard to believe.

It was my understanding the it was the Rendezvous that started the age drop for Buick

+1

I don't remember where it was, but there was an article posted on C&G about the NG LaCrosse being renamed Regal. However the rest of the article that stated that had some pretty wild claims, some of which were extremely hard to believe.

+1

Oh yea- that's GMI - that obviously holds no water. This is the first reputable source

The part about the Vue-based vehicle is certainly not true unless it is the Captiva or something from Europe that is already in existence, just not as a Buick in NA.

Perhaps the Theta-Buick is being developed by China and will be imported/sold here?