Microsoft Surface and new Sony flexible LCD

Wow...talk about actually living in the future. I remember when I originally saw something like this on the movie Minority Report years ago, I thought something like that wouldn't be available for another 10 years at least. Amazing how fast technology accelerates these days.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

Posted Image

Also, from Sony...LCDs that are so thin they can be bent with your fingertips (remember the scene from Minority Report where they read newspapers that are similar to this that have up-to-the-minute news? Hmm... :scratchchin: )

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/...AF?OpenDocument

Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

I want to see a real life product (referring to the surface) doing all that without video lag. With lots of extra software installed, not just a bare bones untouched store display.

I forsee the blue topped coffee table of death...

Well, I think the table is cool...although what I want to know is how you can transfer files just by setting your camera or mp3 player on the table. I see no cables or anything. Although, I think that table is going to go for a pretty hefty penny until they begin to saturate the market.

Here's an idea...make the Surface as big as a drafting table and a pen for it and I can start doing drawings and conceptual sketches without needed paper!

Edited by mustang84

Adobe had a video demonstration for a very similar piece of hardware/software (basically a multi-point touch screen). I just don't know where to find it at this point.

As for the flexible screen, the implications are massive, but the standard newspaper format is bulky and cumbersome. Interactive news would best be served on a Tablet-sized PC, or possibly a smartphone.

Also,

Well, I think the table is cool...although what I want to know is how you can transfer files just by setting your camera or mp3 player on the table. I see no cables or anything.

There are a number of technologies in the works, such as what is basically the wireless version of USB, and of course RFIDs and other identifying marks will probably also come into play.

^yup, you'd have to buy the latest & greatest phone, mp3 player, every other gadget in order to be able to do the wireless transfer thing. It all looks so pretty when there's nothing but brand new, unchanged hardware to display...

I just read that the Surface doesn't use an actual touch screen, but a series of five infrared cameras to monitor touch and movement on the screen. They can possibly identify the devices via their barcode, their visual appearance, or simply their footprint. It's possible these devices use wifi or bluetooth to connect to the Surface, rather than UWB (which I think doesn't exist yet).

The flexible screen is useful...

Can't say the same about the coffee table/computer thinger.

Not useful for you, but apparently, there is a huge list of companies signed up for this baby because it would further streamline the development process of whatever they produce.

Clearly, the introduction of the Microsoft "Surface" so soon after Sony unveiled the flexible LCD is no coincidence. Microsoft unveiled it to steal Sony's thunder and it will work since it is production ready tech as opposed to a concept tech that is still quite a few years away from being available to the public or anyone for that matter.

Getting off topic.. damn is it hot today. 93 degrees where I live and I can't remember it being so hot so early in the summer in my area.