Younger crowd and GM

What does a 'metal dude' look like?... These guys?

http://www3.telus.net/sjdj/img007.jpg

:lol:

Great album, btw. The roots of the whole genre.

My sister used to be more emo, but she's slowly getting over that phase. She even told me she went into my CD collection last weekend and burned a some onto her laptop, which I don't mind. I got her into Guns N' Roses and Metallica at least. She's also starting to get into Swedish metal more.

What is it with emos and malls? It seems like they congregate there a lot, and they only travel in packs.

Two of the "new" Metallica songs....it IS better, just not sure what to think. I will wait for the finalized product to judge it, but here goes.....

Oh and too answer your question Mustang, emo kids hang out in groups in the mall because come Monday they will all back to school in the same pack but wearing nice preppy clothes.....

Two of the "new" Metallica songs....it IS better, just not sure what to think. I will wait for the finalized product to judge it, but here goes.....

Oh and too answer your question Mustang, emo kids hang out in groups in the mall because come Monday they will all back to school in the same pack but wearing nice preppy clothes.....

Yeah, the first one actually seems to have a lot of Slayer influence as well as some influence from the Choad albums and a bit from St. Anger...it is better, but I think a lot of the crappiness of Metallica as of late has to do with James' vocals and lyrics. They just don't mesh well with the instrumentals in my opinion, and obviously his voice isn't like it was back in the day. The second one is ok too...a lot thrashier which is nice to hear, but a bit too modern-punkish in my opinion....

I dunno...obviously it is too early to make any judgments, but I'm interested in hearing more...

Is it me or is Metallica looking a lot grayer these days? :scared:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I love hard rock, metal and classic rock....I'm pretty closed minded...I used to be into rap but rap today is a total joke. I can still listen to 2-Pac and Notorious B.I.G, Dr. Dre etc....but I prefer rock. Pantera, Godsmack, Alice In Chains, Korn, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Sevendust, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Bob Seager, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Stone Temple Pilots....etc. In recent years I've grown to love a lot more classic rock, but mainly a particular song rather than a catalog of songs from any one artist.

I love hard rock, metal and classic rock....I'm pretty closed minded...I used to be into rap but rap today is a total joke. I can still listen to 2-Pac and Notorious B.I.G, Dr. Dre etc....but I prefer rock. Pantera, Godsmack, Alice In Chains, Korn, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Sevendust, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Bob Seager, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Stone Temple Pilots....etc. In recent years I've grown to love a lot more classic rock, but mainly a particular song rather than a catalog of songs from any one artist.

I agree 100%

I love old rap, you know, the rap that actually meant something unlike this 'hoes and slades' $h! that sells today.

As far as MetallicA being gray; yep, they are, but that god-awful (Biff from Back to the Future) look James has going on now doesn't help any.

Honestly, I don't really think James' voice has changed that much. What I think has changed is 1) The quality of the recordings--lets face it, James sounds better with some distortion. 2) The WAY James sings-- After he blew his vocal chords on the Black album he underwent vocal coaching for the first time ever and that resulted in the more melodic yell/sing style that has carried on since Load/Re-Load as opposed to the straight yelling of the first 5 albums. 3) The intensity of James in general is not what it used to be and he even admits it. One reason for this is simply age and another reason for this is sobriety. In the NPR interview he reveals that he is now a very different person on stage because he has a different (less angry/less negative) outlook on life.

It's funny how metal singers voices change in short amounts of time. For example; listen to Corey Taylor of Slipknot on the first album and compare it to the most recent album. David Draiman of Disturbed is another person who has had a lot of vocal problems and sounds "just a tick off" where he was when the band started. Guess it happens to everyone.

It'd been a while since I watched the vids for those two new songs, and I remember originally not really liking or disliking them...but now they've kind of grown on me. I like the melody of James' voice on the second one (woooooah woah-oo) and I like the part on the first one where it breaks down and goes into the solo (and the "I've been a rambler..." part). It'll be interesting to hear what the finished product sounds like.

Also, I don't know about others but I get so god damn annoyed by the Megadeth twerps that go around talking $h! about Metallica and how they sold out after Lightning or whatever bs they come out with. I like both Megadeth and Metallica...each has its own unique qualities and talent. Why is it so hard to like both bands? It's all heavy metal. :metal:

Bits of info on the new Metallica album:

METALLICA'S LARS Ulrich has exclusively revealed to Kerrang! that the band's new material has an 'old school' Metallica flavor.

The metal legends are currently working on the follow-up to 2003's St.Anger in their own studio at Metallica HQ in San Rafael, California.

A full transcript of the short article in Kerrang Magazine's latest issue, regarding an update on Metallica's new album, has been posted online:

'The last album was an unusual Metallica album in that no one brought ideas into the studio. Everything you hear on that album was given birth to in the studio,'' the drummer notes. ‘This time around we've each brought in ideas as we used to -as well as working on some jams we had from two summers ago- and James and I are sorting through our Cds of riffs to put together stuff as we did back in the day.

''The new stuff is much more organic, older school. It certainly doesn't feel like St.Anger Part Two, Ulrich adds. ''When we were rehearsing for our South African shows and started playing the St.Anger stuff, it definitely felt very different to the rest of the set because of how the songs were put together. It was really important to make that record in the way we did because of the chaotic internal vibe at that time: 'St.Anger' was a statement, 55 minutes of brutality packed onto a CD, proving to ourselves that we still had the spark. 'St.Anger' was fun but we don't need to make that album again.

Ulrich says that the band have six or seven songs nearing completion, minus vocals and they are using producer Rick Rubin, famed for his work with Red HOT Chili Peppers, SOAD and Slayer, for the first time. This collaboration marks the end of the quartet's 15-year relationship with producer Bob Rock, but Ulrich insists the split was drama free.

''We had a great time with Bob'' he admits. ''But it seemed that after 15 years it was time to try some different things and get a different perspective. As you get older you get set in your ways and get very f@#king spoilt. It was important for as to not get stuck. Rick makes everything - he sees the big picture and has big ideas. It's working out great. We're excited hearing $h! come together!

I think I've found my biggest beef with music today; it's the production, especially the drums. Everything sounds so flat and one-dimensional, the exact opposite of music as early as 10 years ago. I was listening to a new W.A.S.P. song today...the drums sounded like crap and they even used a damn megaphone for part of the lyrics. You'd think with all our advancing sound technology we could make music that was richer and with more depth than ever before...instead, it's in vogue to have monotone vocals and stripped music (especially indie...I can't stand songs where all they do is pluck at an acoustic guitar and whisper into the mic).

Listen to any new release by an 80s band today...Ozzy, W.A.S.P., Metallica, Queensryche...and especially any nu-metal / modern rock band...they just don't have that thundering sound anymore. The only new album that seems to have avoided this is Saxon's 'Lionheart'...that's what I'm talking about when I mean depth and richness. Oh yeah, Judas Priest's album Angel of Retribution is awesome as well. Those two are worth picking up if you're a fan of 80s metal.

I know back in the day bands used to record their albums in huge concrete rooms such as warehouses to give them that sound; I wonder if bands today (especially indie) just record in little booths. The new Guns N' Roses songs sound mediocre. I was hoping for something like Appetite that would wake up the rock scene, but it won't be Chinese Democracy. Metallica is my next hope, but after St. Anger I'm not anticipating much.

Also, it seems like songs just aren't distinctive anymore. There are a number of 90s songs that just stood out and had a distinctive sound, you could pick them out right away on the radio. Now you have bands like Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, and Hinder that all sound exactly alike. Or the stream of emo bands that just recycle the same garbage over and over.

Marilyn Manson's song "Rock is Dead" is so true.

I saw them in 2004 in Ames, IA...they put on an awesome show and even played Disposable Heroes for the first time in many years. They can still rock out to the oldies. I just wish they would put the same energy into their new albums.

Chinese Democracy sounds good, and it's from an 80's band. ;)

Chinese Democracy sounds good, and it's from an 80's band. ;)

I have a bad feeling that Chinese Democracy is going to be another over-ambitious, over-produced, over-done album(s)... or in other words, another 'Use Your Illusion' .

It sounds as if Chinese Democracy will be full of 'epics' in the vein of November Rain and Breakdown, and to me, that makes me think Axl has joined RUSH. :P

Speaking of RUSH... their new album is tiding me over nicely. Now THAT's hard rock.

Edited by Captainbooyah

I have a bad feeling that Chinese Democracy is going to be another over-ambitious, over-produced, over-done album(s)... or in other words, another 'Use Your Illusion' .

It sounds as if Chinese Democracy will be full of 'epics' in the vein of November Rain and Breakdown, and to me, that makes me think Axl has joined RUSH. :P

Speaking of RUSH... their new album is tiding me over nicely. Now THAT's hard rock.

Chinese Democracy is going to bite the big one. GNR hasn't done anything good since Appetite for Destruction.

Chinese Democracy is going to bite the big one. GNR hasn't done anything good since Appetite for Destruction.

I dunno, Illusion I & II has its moments. It was a lot more theatrical, but there were also some really heavy tunes. Coma, Get in the Ring, Double Talkin' Jive, Garden of Eden, etc. Spaghetti had its moments too. They weren't as thoroughly consistent as Appetite, but Axl still had energy...unlike Chinese Democracy where he sounds tired and washed up (from what I've listened to). Edited by mustang84

I dunno, Illusion I & II has its moments. It was a lot more theatrical, but there were also some really heavy tunes. Coma, Get in the Ring, Double Talkin' Jive, Garden of Eden, etc. Spaghetti had its moments too. They weren't as thoroughly consistent as Appetite, but Axl still had energy...unlike Chinese Democracy where he sounds tired and washed up (from what I've listened to).

After Appetite, GNR became kind of hit and miss...usually miss.

Edited by AxelTheRed