535i BMW

regfootball

edmunds

0-60 in 5.5 no need for the 550.

Major interior fixes. My new fave?

The 550 is significantly faster than that. 5.5 is what my car does. 4.8-ish is more along the lines of the 550.

I hate this car with a passion. I'm glad to see they put the 3.0TT in there, and the interior changes they made are nice, but I still hate this car from a styling standpoint.

Oh, BTW, Here's the link...your link just takes me to the homepage...

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/...47/pageNumber=1

Edited by Nick

The 550 is significantly faster than that. 5.5 is what my car does. 4.8-ish is more along the lines of the 550.

I hate this car with a passion. I'm glad to see they put the 3.0TT in there, and the interior changes they made are nice, but I still hate this car from a styling standpoint.

5.5 is plenty fast 4 me.

the A6 interior is overdone. The M45 has too much wood and has too much going on.

I agree with Reg.

I LOVE the fit-and-finish and material usage in all Audis.....but for sheer asthetic appeal for me, BMW's recent "minimalist" interiors.....with a combination of top-quality plastics, leather, and switchgear......are my current German favorites.

M45 seems too "Nissan" to me.....and M-Benzs are overdone (notice where they are putting chrome slashes, dashes, and rings EVERYWHERE inside their cars......)

As some of you might imagine; nothing shown in the linked pics does anything for me. Rear is an undeniable mess of panels seams and cut lines- "Clean-up in aisle 535!". Interior just does not look high buck to me- esp the schizoid dual dash hoods. The rest of the dash just looks un-substantial.

I didn't like the '04+ 5er at first, but then I learned to appreciate its unconventional beauty. Three years down the road, it arguably looks fresher and more original than newer cars like the M, RL, or even the 3er.

It's odd... once you start to think like the designer, it all starts to come together. Then you're like, "I can't imagine it any other way!"

^^ that's a very odd way of 'selling yourself' on an aesthetic you initially found distasteful... bringing up the question: for what purpose ?? What's 'in it for you' to convince yourself you like something you don't; is it somethig more than peer pressure? I ask because I want to know.

^^ that's a very odd way of 'selling yourself' on an aesthetic you initially found distasteful... bringing up the question: for what purpose ?? What's 'in it for you' to convince yourself you like something you don't; is it somethig more than peer pressure? I ask because I want to know.

Beauty is based on what you're used to seeing; something drastically different often causes a knee-jerk reaction. The 5er design was ahead of its time, and after so many years of conservative BMWs, I wasn't prepared for the surprise.

A glowing write up on a BMW? Imagine that. Anyone notice the paid advertisement down the side? :scratchchin:

On a related note, Laurance Yap, a supposed writer for the Toyota Star, who loves anything imported, did a fluff piece on driving his buddies to a stag in a Porsche Cayenne, which Porsche handed him the keys to for that express purpose.

I refuse to read any of these articles because they are meaningless drivel. Sorta like Lenin expounding on Marxism. Why would you expect any dissenting opinions? Just bundle up your $60k in twenties and mail it to Germany, I say.

For the same money, I'd rather drive a '59 Biarritz from Barrett-Jackson. :lol: Turns more heads, holds its value better and wouldn't ride like it was a shopping cart.

>>"Beauty is based on what you're used to seeing; something drastically different often causes a knee-jerk reaction. The 5er design was ahead of its time, and after so many years of conservative BMWs, I wasn't prepared for the surprise. "<<

I dunno: I've seen automotive designs that were unique and new-to-me-@-that-moment and knew instantly that they were beautiful... to 'come round' to that opinion over time does not ring of true endorsement, IMO. The current 5-series does not strike me as 'dramatic' at all when you look at the entire industry styling-wise; but if all one concentrated on were BMWs, then I guess I could see that.

One thing that can be said for BMW is they didn't stick to the norm. They took a chance with their designs and did something out of the ordinary. You sure can't really blame them for being bland or boring. Love them or hate them, they are doing relatively well. I'd even say their controversial styling elements have stirred up other manufacturers to follow in their footsteps, even down to using some of their design cues.

Beauty is based on what you're used to seeing; something drastically different often causes a knee-jerk reaction. The 5er design was ahead of its time, and after so many years of conservative BMWs, I wasn't prepared for the surprise.

I dunno... it didn't take me any time to warm up to the beauty of the Enclave/Sky/CTS after years of conservative Buicks/Saturns/Cadillacs.

I dunno... it didn't take me any time to warm up to the beauty of the Enclave/Sky/CTS after years of conservative Buicks/Saturns/Cadillacs.

Really? I found the new A&S Cadillacs very polarizing. They certainly weren't beautiful in a traditional sense (sweeping curves, loads of chrome, pulled-back proportions, etc), but eventually I learned to appreciate its complex mix of creases and angles. I looked at the CTS from the designer's point of view, and then gradually understood why it's the way it is..

Edited by empowah

The reason I like the BMW 5-series compared to others in the category is because of its unchallenged offering of a smooth throw 6 speed. I almost bought a low miles 540i 6-speed at the Carmax, until the salesman acted like a jerk. I test drove a Bangled 530i, although it seemed a little bit low on power, it was a good machine.

I really think G-8 should offer a 6-speed manual transmission as an option with the V-6 and put the DI 3.6 in there and challenge the 535i. The G-8 V8 seems to be a real competitor to the 550i. Specs wise both of them run hand in hand. Pontiac has shown the GTP as a comparison to the 330i previously, now let them show the G-8 against any of the 5-series.

Really? I found the new A&S Cadillacs very polarizing. They certainly weren't beautiful in a traditional sense (sweeping curves, loads of chrome, pulled-back proportions, etc), but eventually I learned to appreciate its complex mix of creases and angles. I looked at the CTS from the designer's point of view, and then gradually understood why it's the way it is..

Then I was polarized on the positive end the moment I saw it. As soon as I saw the concept it became a "gotta have" car for me.

I miss the pre-bangle styles, as I'm sure many do. That is something that cannot be said for the current styles. Even down the line, after many design changes, I still can't imagine anyone missing this point in BMW's design history.

Edited by Nick

I agree.....when the CTS first came out, I HATED it........really was not a fan of the Caddy.

Now I own one.....

Funny how things change and mature with time.

the 5 series looks different with different color combos. For example, white with black interior (and light colored interior accents) really makes it look nice. I have not liked some other colors.

While I sort of like the overall exterior look, I dislike immensely the business of the rear end and sculpted deck and schizoid taillights. The eyebrow front lights bother me.

Mostly what pisses me off about the 5 series design is the long hood short greenhouse proportion and stody upright pillars and small windows. the previous 5 series was moving towards a more aggressive proportion. The current 5 series throws it out and goes for the stodgy long hood and upright cabin look. And it has the tiny windows thing going on. It isn't a real sporty look. It's more of a stuffy formal car look. And it bothers me. It's too old school and too traditional. I even see the G8 as being a major improvement over that because on the G8 the front axle is pushed forward more to lessen the impact of the long engine bay and the hood slopes more than it does on the 5 series. The G8's A pillar is more rakish and the rear tumblehome is much nicer on the G8. I like the larger glass of the G8. I also like the simple clean rear of the G8.

One thing I do like about the 5 series is the door sculpting below the windows at the door sill. Probably the classiest door side treatment I've seen in recent memory.

Bottom line, the look the of the 5 series is too stuffy, but i could look past it if the drive is good.

Edited by regfootball

The 3 is passable, the 5 is bad, and the 7 is horrible.

Previously, all three were beautiful, purposeful, and sleek.

I'm waiting for their next design theme and it can't come soon enough.

7 is scheduled for a 08 introduction as a 09 model. Test mules are being spotted already.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, but for me the current generation 5-Series is No, Never.

It's ugly, banal, and overteched to the ionosphere.

The loaded diaper trunk is, along with "flame surfacing" one of the worst styling concepts ever introduced. Combined with iDrive, current BMW's are just too busy, fussy, and complicated to be truly "Ultimate Driving Machines".

I'll take the cool, smooth, high quality presentaiotn of the Audi A6 over the 5 any time, day or place. Really, I'd take any Audi over any BMW sheerly for the sake of AESTHETICS. Crud, I even like the new Chrysler Sebring better stylistically than the 5-Series (or 7-Series, or Z4, or X...)

• 7 months later...
>>"Beauty is based on what you're used to seeing; something drastically different often causes a knee-jerk reaction. The 5er design was ahead of its time, and after so many years of conservative BMWs, I wasn't prepared for the surprise. "<<

I dunno: I've seen automotive designs that were unique and new-to-me-@-that-moment and knew instantly that they were beautiful... to 'come round' to that opinion over time does not ring of true endorsement, IMO.

So not one thing in life has EVER grown on you?

• 2 months later...

I have to agree. I love what BMW is able to do with their engineering department, but the styling (at least since 2003 or so) has simply lost me.

Put it this way: If I was told to find the best-performing luxury sedan on the market, regardless of price or anything else, a BMW 5 would be at or near the top of my short list. I'd just have to avoid looking at it too much.

I know, styling is subjective, and not everyone likes the same things. But the 5's shape just doesn't say much that I like, or would pay $50k for.