PT vs HHR

Has anybody here done a thoughtful head to head look between the PT and the HHR? Or has it been discussed in the past somewhere?

Also, out of curiousity, what are the key selling points of the HHR Vs. PT? (Maybe CARBIZ could share some of his sales stories if he reads this.)

In my mind the largest advantadge to the HHR is that the Ecotech is that much more "Advanced" than the Chryselr mill.

Does anybody know if Chrysler plans to discontinue the PT anytime soon? Seems like it is still a cash cow for them.

Chris

You're gonna love this sales story: many of the HHR prospects end up buying the Uplander here. :lol: They are priced the same in this market, yet the Uplander RWB has 17" wheels, OnStar, ABS, V-6, 7 passenger seating, heated mirrors, etc. For the same money, you'd get a LS 5 spd HHR with the 2.2 engine, no ABS, no OnStar, etc.

Perhaps that is why the HHR is not doing as well in Canada as it is in the States. (I think I remember seeing total Canadian sales of 6,500 or something like that for last year, as opposed to 100k for the States -not even proportionately close.)

The styling hits people or it doesn't. Usually, if the person likes the HHR, the styling and then the ride/handling (particularly with the Sport Pkg on the LT) will seal the deal. Frankly, the interior dimensions, horsepower, height, you name it are nearly identical for the HHR and PT. Kinda coincidental, no? The only clear wins the HHR has is in the over all length (about 8" longer), a bigger gas tank (nearly 2 gallons larger) and better highway mileage. Otherwise, the two are very close.

Obviously, there are a lot of comparisons between the two vehicles, but if you park them side by side, they do look fairly different. The HHR is more squared off and "trucky."

Of course, there are a lot of cute features, like remote starter, automatic headlights, etc. that are "wins" for the HHR, but in the end this is one of those vehicles where I find it wiser to shut up and let the vehicle sell itself. Perhaps surprisingly, I have not had a lot of PT owners look closely at the HHR. I would say it has been more minivan downsizers who are interested in it - and most in the over 45 age bracket, too. We are located in a very "sophisticated" market (read: GM is getting its ass kicked) and I have lost deals to the Mazda 5 (UGH) and others.

This is a wagon-wannabe and I suspect the absence of AWD has hindered its sales here. I think this vehicle had the potential to tap into the Subaru market ( a lot of lesbians have looked at the HHR!), but some people wanted AWD.

IMO, Chevrolet needs something about the same size as the HHR but in AWD to pick up the Tracker sales that we lost. Hell, even the Vibe was available in AWD!!!!

HHR also probably loses sales from Malibu Maxx and Equinox right?

Maybe, but they aren't in the same snack bracket. The Equinox and Maxx start at $26k (Can); whereas the HHR is $20k. The Maxx and Equinox are V-6s and better equipped, but when people see the "from" $19,300" in the HHR ads, it's a lot harder to get them to bump $6k (oh, and plus our lovely 14% GST/PST combo.)

(Right, you're in Alberta so you only get nailed by Ottawa - lucky you!)

One MAJOR advantage to PT......turbo 4cyl engines.....with some truly decent performance.

I'm not a big fan of either vehicle......but have spent time in both.

One of the things that I like better in the PT is that it seems MUCH airier, more open, and more spacious inside. HHR's breadbox window and beltline design really makes it seem claustrophobic.

Styling both inside and outside, well that's subjective. I really don't know which I like better......although I'd probably vote PT for exterior styling but HHR for interior styling.

My last experience with a PT was last year when I test drove an '06 with a couple hundred miles on it. The salesman was giving me the "its practially a brand new car that will last a long time and its high quality, blah blah" speech then opened the glove box, then couldn't get it to close againa nd ended up breaking it.

Most people who like the PT seem to hate the styling of the HHR...dunno why. I like them both, but I like the PT's more distinctive interior. It has personality...whereas the HHR's looks pretty generic.

Other wins for the PT are:

Turbo model (although the HHR Sport is coming)

Better road manners (so I've heard, agan, the HHR Sport may remedy this)

But the biggest win is the choice of a convertible...it just doesn't exist in the HHR lineup.

The PT also starts at $15,530, while the HHR starts at $16,595. The PT gets more expensive, especially in GT trim, but then it gets you the turbo. This gets you 230 hp and 245 ft-lbs torque VS the HHR's current best engines ratings of 175 hp and 163 ft-lbs torque...and according to the comparison...you can only get the 2.4 as a panel?

o_O?

The PT also has "little wins" like

• Universal Remote Transmitter
  • Rear ventilation ducts
  • Cargo Area Trunk Lights
  • 4 Wheel disc brakes (according to this the HHR has rear drums)
  • Rolling Code Security Key
  • Dual illuminated vanity mirrors
  • 2 One-Touch Power Windows
  • Not having electric steering
  • UConnect® Hands-Free Communication
The HHR has its own set of wins like:

• 260 watt audio system
  • Daytime Running Lights
  • Automatic On/Off Headlights
  • OnStar
  • Stolen Vehicle Tracking
  • Radio Anti-Theft
  • Remote Door Unlock
  • Emergency Services
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Hands-Free, Voice-Activated Phone
One thing that is interesting to note is that, despite the HRR's larger size, only Front Head Room is better than the PT

I'm not sure that Turbo is necessarily a "win." It adds unnecessary complication and possible long-term problems.

GM's key fobs have always changed security codes.

The LT with the 2.4 is available in the passenger van.

The 100,000 mile power train warranty has to be a win.

Electric steering is subjective. I like it. Other don't [shrugs.]

The sport package is quite impressive, especially the 17" wheels. I drove a base HHR yesterday to do some errands. It was a 2006 with 53k km. I have to say, I was impressed with the smoothness, quietness and the pep of the 2.2 engine. These vehicles are not meant to be pushed hard, but it is surprising what happens when you do. Wolf in sheep's clothing. The flat torque curve of the ecotec engine really benefits these puppies.

The HHR has more usable space in the back, once the seat is up. Especially because the cargo area is more squared off.

The HHR benefits from better weight distribution because the battery is in the back. Added benefit: you can give your buddy in his PT a boost from the back of your HHR or the front :lol:

One MAJOR advantage to PT......turbo 4cyl engines.....with some truly decent performance.

I'm not a big fan of either vehicle......but have spent time in both.

One of the things that I like better in the PT is that it seems MUCH airier, more open, and more spacious inside. HHR's breadbox window and beltline design really makes it seem claustrophobic.

Styling both inside and outside, well that's subjective. I really don't know which I like better......although I'd probably vote PT for exterior styling but HHR for interior styling.

Exactly. The HHR has a really nice interior, GM is doing MUCH better IMHO in this regard than a few years ago.

Chris

This whole thing brings up an interesting point about GM's model line up. They need another amll utility type vehicle IMHO once the Uplander is gone. Would have loved to have bought one of the 4 door trackers but we had an Astro van that was paid for and ran like a million bucks so we kind of decided not to trade (back in the day when it was still available).

I would love for GM to upsize one of the micro-car concepts and put it into production.

Good point about 4wdb, Dodgefan.

Chris

I have driven both the PT and the HHR. I personally liked the HHR a little better. To me personally, the HHR just felt more comforatble to drive than the PT. I had a hard time finding a comfortable driving position in the PT. I also like that the HHR is more "truck-like". The PT just didn't do it for me. Just my $.02

<_<<_<<_<

What a coincidence. Just today the much anticipated June/July issue of "Senior Living" arrived in the mail. This is the issue with Bob Barker( a very youthful 105) on the cover. On P. 14 was an evaluation of the HHR. They especially like the vehicle's ride, roominess, and general coolness. Particular emphasis was placed on the On Star feature. It seems that the concierge service of the On Star feature is helpful for finding a quick replacement when the intended audience craps their Depends and are caught without a replacement.

When I was shopping for my youngest daughter's firs new car, the PT cruiser and Delta twins (Cobalt and ION) were on the short list. The HHR was not included because we are, as "Carbiz" would say ""price whores." The PT Cruiser rode poorly, shifted poorly, and the engine was unpleasant.

"Senior Living" magazine included the following joke on the next page.

Old People Problems

Old people have problems that you haven't even considered yet! An 85-year-old man was requested by his doctor for a sperm count as part of his physical exam. The doctor gave the man a jar and said, "Take this jar home and bring back a semen sample tomorrow."

The next day the 85-year-old man reappeared at the doctor's office and gave him the jar, which was as clean and empty as on the previous day. The doctor asked what happened and the man explained , "Well doc, it's like this -first I tried with my right hand, then with the left, still nothing. Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with her right hand, then with her left, still nothing.

We even called up Arleen, the lady next door and she tried too, first with both hands, then an armpit, and she even tried squeezin it between her knees, but still nothing.

The doctor was shocked! "you asked your neighbor?

The old man replied, "Yep, none of us could get the jar open."

I've driven both...for small cars-they are nice.

I like the HHR more because it handles better....and I like the looks. :thumbsup:

THe PT is nice looks good-it cool inside-but it drives like a Neon. :AH-HA_wink:

As I recalled, the handling of the Neon wasn't it's weak point...but I haven't driven a PT or a Neon to back that up...likewise I've "heard" that the HHR has tepid handling.

<_<<_<<_<

What a coincidence. Just today the much anticipated June/July issue of "Senior Living" arrived in the mail. This is the issue with Bob Barker( a very youthful 105) on the cover. On P. 14 was an evaluation of the HHR. They especially like the vehicle's ride, roominess, and general coolness. Particular emphasis was placed on the On Star feature. It seems that the concierge service of the On Star feature is helpful for finding a quick replacement when the intended audience craps their Depends and are caught without a replacement.

When I was shopping for my youngest daughter's firs new car, the PT cruiser and Delta twins (Cobalt and ION) were on the short list. The HHR was not included because we are, as "Carbiz" would say ""price whores." The PT Cruiser rode poorly, shifted poorly, and the engine was unpleasant.

"Senior Living" magazine included the following joke on the next page.

:blink:

Being budget conscious and a "price whore," are two different things. A "price whore" is someone who has a signed deal somewhere else, yet continues shopping. I had one of those recently on the phone. He admitted to having a signed deal with deposit (which means he has legally bought it!) for an Avalanche and he even named the dealer, but wanted me to beat the price. I told him that not only could I lose my OMVIC license for even talking to him, he was the most unethical piece of trash I have ever talked to. He didn't even miss a beat, he added, "well, then if you don't want my business." Want your business, sir? The other dealer can and probably WILL force you to take the vehicle you BOUGHT. How would you like two?

A price whore is someone who has bought their last 3 vehicles from the same guy, then shows up at our dealership and wants a price on a Corvette. The guy who sits beside me got this a-hole recently. We both looked at each other, knowing that all this mistrusting jerk was doing was testing his salesguy. Since nobody has the car in question and Corvettes could no longer be ordered (not '07's anyway), even participating in this charade was a sign of mass stupidity. Sleezeball salespeople would be tempted to "low-ball" this hapless idiot to "destroy the price" (in the words of a fine salesman that our company fired a year or so ago); instead, my neighbor told him to come back when we had the price lists for the '08s.

Price whores usually get jerked around because seasoned salepeople can smell them a mile away. Reputable salepeople won't deal with them. Why would we? No matter what price we give this guy, he will automatically take $50 a month off (it is never $5 or $8 - it is always something outrageous) and declare he has THAT price somewhere else, or he takes our price and goes back to the dealer where he really wants to buy anyway and beats them into submission. Instead, they will end up with the revolving-door salesman who knows nothing and has no ethics, who then low-balls the crap out of this guy and sends him on his way.

But to get back on topic, the HHR is about the same Price as the Cobalt and the interest rates are the same. So a cash deal or a finance would work out to be roughly the same; however, the "residual" is lower so the lease is actually a little higher. I am not sure what that says about GM's faith in the long term of the HHR, but I never question their reasoning when they set the residual values. Again, keep in mind prices and programs are regionally adjusted. An Uplander is the same price as a HHR around here!

The HHR has a future where they PT is in a box styling wise.

The PT has to look like a 39 Ford to be a PT. JUst look at the up grades to it's styling and it realy has little wiggle room.

The HHR looks like a generic Chevy old panel van. There is room to let this grow.

GM can let the HHR go to a scaled down 50's look or 60's look. Once the Alpha comes the HHR could even go RWD and become a Future Nomad.

The PT has I feel has shown all it's cars and really has no where to go other than maintain what they already have till it dies.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as looks go the hard part is TELLING THEM APART.

The HHR is the ugly version of the PTCruiser, and it's biggest "con" is that it came out too many years after the fact.

As far as CARS go, the PT gets the nod IMO. I've driven many, they are good little econoboxes. They aren't good luxury cars, but they were never meant to be.

The HHR isn't terrible, but it's not astounding- or close, in any area.

Both these cars are cheap econoboxes IMO. They are adequate in what they do, with a little style mixed into the equation, and the HHR seems like an "also ran" in that case..?

As far as looks go the hard part is TELLING THEM APART.

The HHR is the ugly version of the PTCruiser, and it's biggest "con" is that it came out too many years after the fact.

As far as CARS go, the PT gets the nod IMO. I've driven many, they are good little econoboxes. They aren't good luxury cars, but they were never meant to be.

The HHR isn't terrible, but it's not astounding- or close, in any area.

Both these cars are cheap econoboxes IMO. They are adequate in what they do, with a little style mixed into the equation, and the HHR seems like an "also ran" in that case..?

Well, sir, I can recommend a good Optometrist! :lol: View them side by side. The PT is more rounded and fluid; the HHR is more "trucky." I wouldn't say one is better looking than the other. They are both cute little trucklets. Of course, the HHR is derivative, but then so are most vehicles on the road. What about the recent Mazdas and their little fake wheel flares? It's a styling trend, and Chrysler used to be very good at starting styling trends.

The PT is the feminine version, the HHR more masculine (smooth/round vs. boxier). As far as how good of vehicles they are, the HHR wins hands down, as it should being 4-5 years newer. I've driven both when I worked at the dealership, and there's really no comparison, IMO.

The PT is the feminine version, the HHR more masculine (smooth/round vs. boxier). As far as how good of vehicles they are, the HHR wins hands down, as it should being 4-5 years newer. I've driven both when I worked at the dealership, and there's really no comparison, IMO.

Well, I can't say I have much seat time in an HHR, so I can't comment there.

The PTCruiser seems more to me like a cheap people mover, the HHR reminds me more of a little station wagon, destined to be a "parts chaser"..?