SPY SHOTS! 2009 BMW X6

Flybrian

SPY SHOTS! 2009 BMW X6
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ Jalopnik

According to the report from the wily spy shooters of KGP, they happened upon a group of BMW engineers out testing the new BMW X6 who'd run into a bit of trouble in the 128-degree heat of a "desolate California road." We'll let KGP take over from here:

"As the preoccupied testers prepared to hook up a tow line to its X5 support vehicle, they accidently left the prototype's rear hatch open, revealing the true slope of the X6's backlight thanks to a timely sequence of drive-by shots. It is now completely clear exactly how much of the rear camouflage is simply a hard plastic shell. That is to say--most of it.

This detail is particularly interesting on the X6, because BMW is applying an aggressive application of the four-door-coupe concept first seen on the Mercedes CLS, to the SUV genre. There have been a number of performance-minded SUVs on offer, but the X6 is taking a unique styling approach which appears to be the most form-over-function SUV design effort seen to date. The roof line begins arching downward after the B-pillar and continues plunging right to the X6's rising waistline. Second-row headroom and rear cargo volume are both severely compromised as a result."

Despite the giveaways offered by the spy shots, it's still hard for us to determine the overall design of the X6, but the look we've now got due to these shots certainly makes it easier.

• 2 weeks later...

MORE SPY SHOTS! 2009 BMW X6
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ Winding Road

This is the first time the BMW X6 off-road, coupé-like crossover has been seen and caught with hardly any disguise!

There are a number of performance SUVs on the market, but the X6 is taking a unique styling approach which appears to be the most form-over-function SUV design effort seen to date. The roofline begins arching downward after the B-pillar and continues plunging right to the X6’s rising waistline. As a result, second-row headroom and rear cargo volume are both severely compromised. The new X6 will be longer and lower than the new X5, but this crossover will seat only four. But what the sporty X6 loses in seating, it will gain in performance. Expect it to arrive sometime during the 2008 calendar year.

I think it's better than the Audi Cross Coupe concept. It has a more car-like profile. The low ground clearance makes it look almost like an Aztek, but I don't hate the Aztek as much as most people. And the X6 is much sleeker.

I like it's styling more than most current SUVs. People who don't buy SUVs for their utility buy them because they like feeling high up. That seems like where an Eagle-like car would fit it, but I suppose some would find the raised look too redneck or gangsta (I think it looks cool.) The X6 seems to cater to that crowd that don't need the trunk space but don't want to bend their lazy backs to get into a sedan or sports car. But it will be far more expensive than the Aztek with even less usefulness since it appears to be meant as more of a sports car that anything else. So it's basically a car for those out of the previously described who would have enough money to buy it over a regular SUV. And don't think it looks goofy.

I honestly have no idea if that means it's going to sell well or not, and I guess all I'm trying to say that I like it for no practical reason.