My Driveway + 1?

My dad is considering getting a third a car for all of us to run. With the Sunfire still having problems, my Millenia being impossible to diagnose, and my brother needing a car to pratice driving with... It would really be nice. He found a goldish 1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL coupe with 73k that he may get. Signed papers for it, but can back out if needed. Not sure of the price as he didn't really specify. Should atleast be better than the Sunfire, but then, what wouldn't be? :P

My buddy just recently got an '04 Grand Am...and while I like the looks of it, the interior is so cramped...I wonder how the space is on the Alero considering the dash dosen't hog up the passenger leg room like the Grand Am. Good luck with it, if you guys get it.

The Alero is a good choice for the money. The interior is much better than the Grand Am (though still cheap) and it is not as cramped as the Grand Am. My sister actually wanted the GA when she got the Alero, but when she sat in both of them she changed her mind because she felt really cramped in the GA but not the Alero.

Change that fuel filter yet?

No, but it's not the problem. It's definitely something up near the engine. I know the MAF basically shuts down the engine if disconnected and you can hear it. There's been new sounds popping up left and right. It has to be something with the intake... Just can't figure out what. Taking it to an actual mechanic next week, hopefully they'll be able to figure it out.

Alero 4 or 6?

Heh... My dad isn't that stupid. :P

Cool, you can sell the Milly and share the Alero with your brother. Hey, have you heard from the kid who bought your Grand Am since he got it?

The Milly isn't being sold... evar! And my brother and myself share something? We've never been able to share anything, let alone a car. Thats blasphemy! :D Edited by blackviper8891

• 2 weeks later...

An update.

No family car will be purchased anytime soon. The loan rates were ridiculously high (over %20) so my parents said forget it.

However, my brother may finally be getting a vehicle. A truck, as he wanted. My uncle had a regular cab early '90s Ford Ranger that he was going to put alot of work into until he found an altogether better Ranger and bought it. Thusly, he's going to sell his old Ranger to my dad for $100. It needs alot of body work. All four fenders are pretty much shot. It's currently disassembled over at his place.

Myself, I'm trying to figure out what to do. I need to put $1000 into my Millenia. My dad doesn't think it's worth it, but I don't think selling it for a huge loss would be worth it either. To add to that, it's a great car, unlike my Grand Am. To just give up on it would be stupid, especially considering it's just a simple distributor that's keeping me from driving it. The rest is just what I need to get it inspected. What I'm thinking is... I could find a really cheap beater ($400 or less) to drive so I can get a job and earn enough money to buy what I need for my Millenia. I would honestly drive even the most crappy of vehicles as long as it ran well enough to get me to work, as needed. Finding one seems to be the problem. I don't seem to have the luck that my brother does. :P

I could find a really cheap beater ($400 or less) to drive so I can get a job and earn enough money to buy what I need for my Millenia

There is a certain joy and freedom to driving a $400 beater. Go for it and good luck with the hint.

Myself, I'm trying to figure out what to do. I need to put $1000 into my Millenia. My dad doesn't think it's worth it, but I don't think selling it for a huge loss would be worth it either. To add to that, it's a great car, unlike my Grand Am. To just give up on it would be stupid, especially considering it's just a simple distributor that's keeping me from driving it. The rest is just what I need to get it inspected. What I'm thinking is... I could find a really cheap beater ($400 or less) to drive so I can get a job and earn enough money to buy what I need for my Millenia. I would honestly drive even the most crappy of vehicles as long as it ran well enough to get me to work, as needed. Finding one seems to be the problem. I don't seem to have the luck that my brother does. :P

My dad's been keeping his 1972 Chevy Van in the garage ever since he bought the Achieva in 2001. It runs. Interested? :P

The Milly isn't being sold... evar!

Have fun with THAT... after a year with the Q45 I'm all set with modern Japanese cars.

Nothing but electronic gremlins & irritating quirks. At least if you have a tempermental

old 1970s POS you're riding in style, your car is a big comfy tank & you payed <$1000.

Have fun with THAT... after a year with the Q45 I'm all set with modern Japanese cars.

Nothing but electronic gremlins & irritating quirks. At least if you have a tempermental

old 1970s POS you're riding in style, your car is a big comfy tank & you payed <$1000.

That may be the case with your Q45, but other than age/maintenance related things and now the distributor (which was an aftermarket one installed by the place where I bought it; certainly not buying a vehicle off of them again)... My Millenia has been relatively flawless. No quirks, no electronic gremlins (surprising considering the sheer amount of electronics packed into these cars), no real flaws. Having to put all this money into it all at once is the big problem. The tires have been something it's needed since it was inspected last year. The front brakes I've known about since I had the axle replaced. The suspension link, also since it was last inspected as my uncle let it slide. The engine miss is what has thrown everything off. I never expected it to take so long to finally find the problem, especially not so close to inspection time. It's simply not worth getting rid of it, not now, not after I put that money into it. It's a great car that should run forever as long as I stop procrastinating so much with things. It's definitely my fault I'm in this situation, which is another reason why I dont want to just give up.

As for the offers, I'm appreciative. Northie's LSS sounds most appealing. I like those vehicles, but as mentioned, getting it from there to here wouldn't be cheap and that's what I need. :P

BV, find a boneyard or ebay distributer. Even if it only works for a while you can buy yourself some time. I'd look into used tires as well, you can often find a set with a few thousand , inspectable, miles left for next to nothing if you look. Do spend the money on the suspension part, as that's not anything to ignore.

Then drive it to as many interviews as it takes to get a job, "Milly" will be asking for her allowance again soon enough.

That may be the case with your Q45, but other than age/maintenance related things and now the distributor (which was an aftermarket one installed by the place where I bought it; certainly not buying a vehicle off of them again)... My Millenia has been relatively flawless. No quirks, no electronic gremlins (surprising considering the sheer amount of electronics packed into these cars), no real flaws. Having to put all this money into it all at once is the big problem. The tires have been something it's needed since it was inspected last year. The front brakes I've known about since I had the axle replaced. The suspension link, also since it was last inspected as my uncle let it slide. The engine miss is what has thrown everything off. I never expected it to take so long to finally find the problem, especially not so close to inspection time. It's simply not worth getting rid of it, not now, not after I put that money into it. It's a great car that should run forever as long as I stop procrastinating so much with things. It's definitely my fault I'm in this situation, which is another reason why I dont want to just give up.

As for the offers, I'm appreciative. Northie's LSS sounds most appealing. I like those vehicles, but as mentioned, getting it from there to here wouldn't be cheap and that's what I need. :P

LOL! Welcome to the real world! :smilewide: