Rode in an Acura TSX today

mustang84

One of my coworkers has an '05 Acura TSX and I got to ride in it today since we all went out to eat at Kansas City BBQ over lunch hour and it's a good 10 minute drive from work. This was my first time in an Acura and actually, now that I think about it, my first time ever in a Japanese luxury brand. I kept it in the back of my mind that this was "entry-level."

But after having ridden recently in a Cobalt SS and now riding in the TSX, I don't see the hype over Japanese interiors. There was A LOT of hard plastic in that car that you could tap and it sounded like a Rubbermaid lid. There were no sqeaks or rattles but the interior didn't seem much better than the Cobalt I rode in a couple weeks ago, besides having nicer materials in a few places. The car jumped and bumped over every crack in the road and the engine seemed gutless when he stepped on the gas (he's a leadfoot too). All in all, it was not what I was expecting.

And to add, I rode in another co-worker's '01 Escape the other day and that interior was horrid...I brought back memories our old plastic fantastic Windstar. God Ford has come a long way in interiors!

(Whoops...I just realized I put this in the wrong forum...I'm still not used to Asian manufacturers being split up)

Edited by mustang84

I test drove a TSX 5sp auto 3 weeks ago, and then a 6sp manual last week. The auto didn't really feel gutless, as long as it down shifts, but sometimes that can take a tap on the pedal. I just can't stand driving autos. The 6sp was nice. Unlike other 2.4L powered cars (Accord, Altima, etc etc), the powerband in the TSX is designed to pull smoothly to the redline, rather than provide big push in the low rpms. It takes a little getting used to. It's a more fun car to drive IMO. Btw, I test drove both for over 20 minutes, on the freeway and everything. My Acura dealer is really nice, I just walked in and was like I want to test drive this, I probably won't buy it, and they threw me the keys.

I'm probably going to be buying a TSX 6sp soon (ish).... Black on Black with navigation. Just gotta find one. :thumbsup:

Interior wise, I thought it was fairly good. The door was soft materials, which is what you touch mostly. I don't remember if the upper dash was hard or soft plastic, the lower dash was probably hard plastic.

Edited by siegen

the impression I got from driving a TSX for over 2 hours a friend of mine owns is one of driving solidarity. i also got to drive a stick shift version and echo the thoughts of siegen in that the engine is very flexible and fun. imagine what a ferrari must feel like, dial back the power a lot and a little of the extreme nature, and there you have the average honda vtec engine. they are fun, refined and when you are going through the powerband feel much faster than they are.

tsx felt light, tossable, steering is direct, suspension is precise, similar to all other hondas it feels direct when you want to place it somewhere. the materials could be better, but for a car released in 2002 it still has a fantastic design and feel. the materials are solid yet precise like empowah said. the buttons have a strong durable yet refined feel. the hard materials may be hard to the touch but are nicely grained, everything for the most part feels right [i know there are lower level models that don't feel as good though]. the design is what is most pleasing to my eyes, very sleek very professional executive class saloon type feel. sophisticated is what i think of the interior, still a great value. 9-3 is a nice alternative, but tit for tat i think the tsx offers a little more [though saab design would sway me too].

I owned a TSX 6SPD for just over a year. The car is brilliant in every way except that it is short on power. And I should qualify that by saying that for the majority of drivers the power is much more than adequate; I just wanted more (I traded it in for a TL 6 SPD). Of course I am now paying for it at the pump.

The top of the dash is a soft plastic. The controls feel great, the 6SPD shifts beautifully, and it handles very well. Very fun car to drive.

The TSX interior is an excellent example of a well put together entry level luxury car. The Cobalt interior is an average example of an economy car. Besides the fit and finish issues with the Cobalt (e.g. the fabric on the door ended before it went under some of the buttons leaving a noticable gap) I test drove and the cheap materials, what jumped out at me was the horrible feel of the mechanical HVAC controls and how turning one dial obviously shifted whatever piece the other controls were mounted on. The info display, gauges, power door buttons, door handles, centre console, etc., etc., etc. are all in a completely different league in the TSX.

the materials could be better, but for a car released in 2002 it still has a fantastic design and feel. the materials are solid yet precise like empowah said. the buttons have a strong durable yet refined feel. the hard materials may be hard to the touch but are nicely grained, everything for the most part feels right [i know there are lower level models that don't feel as good though]. the design is what is most pleasing to my eyes, very sleek very professional executive class saloon type feel. sophisticated is what i think of the interior, still a great value. 9-3 is a nice alternative, but tit for tat i think the tsx offers a little more [though saab design would sway me too].

It was released in 2003 as a 2004 model.

There aren't any "lower" models. The options are a 5AT or 6MT and navi.

I really don't think there are too many hard interior pieces. To which pieces are you referring?

I test drove a TSX 5sp auto 3 weeks ago, and then a 6sp manual last week. The auto didn't really feel gutless, as long as it down shifts, but sometimes that can take a tap on the pedal. I just can't stand driving autos. The 6sp was nice. Unlike other 2.4L powered cars (Accord, Altima, etc etc), the powerband in the TSX is designed to pull smoothly to the redline, rather than provide big push in the low rpms. It takes a little getting used to. It's a more fun car to drive IMO. Btw, I test drove both for over 20 minutes, on the freeway and everything. My Acura dealer is really nice, I just walked in and was like I want to test drive this, I probably won't buy it, and they threw me the keys.

I'm probably going to be buying a TSX 6sp soon (ish).... Black on Black with navigation. Just gotta find one. :thumbsup:

Interior wise, I thought it was fairly good. The door was soft materials, which is what you touch mostly. I don't remember if the upper dash was hard or soft plastic, the lower dash was probably hard plastic.

I think I actually missed not having the vtec "rush". My previous car was an old V6 accord and the vtec switchover was very noticable.

Just be sure you are happy with the power. If you are happy with the power then you are unlikely to find faults with anything else in the car.

Good luck with your purchase!

It was released in 2003 as a 2004 model.

There aren't any "lower" models. The options are a 5AT or 6MT and navi.

I really don't think there are too many hard interior pieces. To which pieces are you referring?

you and i and other posters here may have different definitions of what hard plastic means. there is no coarse or rough plastic to be found in the tsx, well from what i can recall of one i was in almost a year ago, there is just plastic that is nicely grained, smooth and soft to the touch. however the plastic covering most of the dashboard is a solid panel that may be nicely grained, but it still is a mostly hard piece of plastic that lacks the "give" of other dashes. the new gen 2006 accord and pilots and ridgeline actually gave me the impression of better plastics thoughout.

the lower model i was referring to may have been an early year, but someone drove up in one with a stereo that looked pretty crappy and basic trim that wasn't as streamlined [titanium] or as modern as the other tsx's i've been in.

The TSX is a nice overall package. If it has one stand out ability, it's the handling. The interiors of both the TL and TSX have held up well over the years, I do agree that the TSX could use a bit more power though for the money. However, after visiting the local Chevy dealer Saturday to look at the Cobalt, I can't see how you're comparing the two interiors as the same level. The Cobalt's interior while decently designed, looks and feels cheap. Every car is going to have plastic in it and whether or not you want to be more objective or less, you'll find the "hard-plastic" if you're really set out on looking for it. The TSX's interior is definitely much more upscale than the Cobalt's as it should be, but really most people wouldn't put a Cobalt and TSX side-by-side and say "eh...they're kinda the same."

The Cobalt interior is damned good for what it is. Like I said in another part of the Forum, my wife likes the Cobalt SS inside better than the MINI Cooper S.

That being said, the TSX is a brilliant car.

Chris

for what you get with a TSX, there's no value.

No value? You're delusional. The TSX offers good performance (on par with IS250, 9-3 2.0T), excellent fuel economy, tons of standard luxury and safety features, a sleek design, great interior, a really low price, and the highest rated dealership in a recent Pied Piper study (ahead of Lexus even, ooooh).

I'd go 9-3 over the TSX, but that's just me.

But oh noes, the Turbo Lag!

Unlike other 2.4L powered cars (Accord, Altima, etc etc), the powerband in the TSX is designed to pull smoothly to the redline, rather than provide big push in the low rpms. It takes a little getting used to.

You guys always have an excuse why your Honda really is not underpowered, no really! :P

There is no subsitute for Torque.

Who said anything about the LS7's aluminum block & MPFI setup being bad...? :P

I suppose an iron-block 350 carbureted chev is about as good as it gets huh? *cue tim allen grunt :AH-HA_wink:

I own them both. 2.4 V-TEC MPFI as well as the 350 LS6. And I love them for their own personalities. One thing is for sure, no matter how much the foreign car makers clamor about their advancement in the fuel injection, a 350 cu in motor generating 405hp and getting 26 mpg in the city is priceless!!

Anyone who thinks the Cobalt interior is anywhere near the quality of the TSX interior has to be blindfolded. And probably lacking the sense of touch also. The TSX interior just exudes a quality look and feel for it's price range. The Cobalt is ehh....allright.

Anyone who thinks the Cobalt interior is anywhere near the quality of the TSX interior has to be blindfolded. And probably lacking the sense of touch also. The TSX interior just exudes a quality look and feel for it's price range. The Cobalt is ehh....allright.

Well I would hope so...the TSX costs 10K more.