Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
A Horse With No Name

Sad, Funny and true...

12 posts in this topic

Son of a friend was given a nice clean older Bonneville SSE as a high school graduation gift. Only problem was the headliner was loose and he was told he would have to fix it.

So the kid gets an air powered staple gun and staples the headliner back in place.

....And then gets out to notice what has happened to the roof of the car.

At least his mother is footing the bill to fix the thing.

Chris

High School Graduation gift, eh? ^_^

Step 1: Check Length of staples BEFORE using to secure headliner material to steel roof...wait - STAPLES??????????? Has this brainiac ever heard of 'SPRAY GLUE'?

I can picture the poor kid's face though as he examines the handiwork then stands up and looks down at the roof of the car to see the true meaning of OOPS!!!!!!

The staples went THROUGH the steel roof?? Powerful gun...

That is so messed up. That is why I am having a professional fix the headliner on my Toronado. It sags, but I am not driving the car right now. I thought about the spray glue thing myself.. I would rather it be done properly.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

The headliner panel is usually a pliable fiberglass-like material. The glue dries out over time with temperature changes inside a car's cabin, allowing the fabric to separate. A reputable upholstery shop can cut new fabric and glue it onto your existing panel.

Several years ago, the first owner of the Shadow's 5-year kid somehow got on the roof and jumped n it, cracking the headliner backing in 3 places, leading it to sagging. It got so bad that it was starting to obstruct the rear window. I went to the junkyard last year witha friend and bought one for 20 bucks, carried it in the car, ripped the old one out and put the new one in at the school parking lot! Took about an hour...cost 20 bucks.

Of course, that's the beauty of hatchbacks...easy to get the entire headliner in or out without removing a window (which is how I'm guessing they get a brand new one in.

Looks great and no sagging!

He should do the world a favor and put that same staple gun to his head

Whaa....?! :huh:

He's just a kid! And the Bonnie can be fixed....things happen man...stupid things...... :yes:

The headliner panel is usually a pliable fiberglass-like material. The glue dries out over time with temperature changes inside a car's cabin, allowing the fabric to separate. A reputable upholstery shop can cut new fabric and glue it onto your existing panel.

Thank you for the tip..

:lol:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0