Saturn Astra makes C&D's Top 10 Safest List under $25k

Car and Driver names Astra one of ten Safest under $25k
Posted Image

It’s tough to contain our excitement about a car that’s actually “Euro tuned.” The only difference between Europe’s best-selling car, the Opel Astra, and what will shortly turn up on Saturn lots are Gulpinator-sized cup holders, inevitably crappy all-season tires, and a piece of plastic on the hatch marking it a Saturn. It would be tough for the Astra to do worse than the Ion it replaces, but we think it will instead do much, much better, offering a premium product, with premium safety equipment, at a solidly ‘Merican price. Compact-car renters rejoice.

Stability control is standard on the sportier three-door, optional on the five at an undisclosed price. NHTSA hasn’t thrown one into a wall yet, but the European NCAP crowned the Astra the safest compact sedan in Europe, earning a score better than even the BMW 1-series. Again assuming parity with the European hardware, the stability control system even features “Understeer Control Logic,” which knows to increase brake pressure on the inner rear wheel. Neat.

Other vehicles:
  • Scion xB
  • Hyundai Sonata
  • Volkswagen Rabbit
  • Mini Cooper
  • Toyota Camry
  • Volvo C30
  • Dodge Charger
  • Honda Accord
  • Mazda CX-7

Must be the newest Scion xB that also made the list as the previous gen didn't have side air bags.

Looking forward to the Astra doing big things here in the states.

Chris

i didn't realize the CX-7 was that cheap, i wonder how many models are ACTUALLY bought for under 25k.

Well...the CX-7 has a base of $23,750 and, as you mention, I doubt you could find one for much less than $27K. I'd guess that the Astra will be much less expensive, which, makes its winning this award in a category like "less than $25K" pretty impressive.

Actually my old Mazda dealer had a CX-7 on the showroom when I took a friend shopping for cars about two months ago. It was 24K and some change and was very nice. The Astra just seems to be a great product and I think it will be the thing that tips Saturn over into the cool factor. Why? Because it is affordable and while the Sky is also it is limited and higher priced.

Car and Driver names Astra one of ten Safest under $25k

Posted Image

It’s tough to contain our excitement about a car that’s actually “Euro tuned.” The only difference between Europe’s best-selling car, the Opel Astra, and what will shortly turn up on Saturn lots are Gulpinator-sized cup holders, inevitably crappy all-season tires, and a piece of plastic on the hatch marking it a Saturn. It would be tough for the Astra to do worse than the Ion it replaces, but we think it will instead do much, much better, offering a premium product, with premium safety equipment, at a solidly ‘Merican price. Compact-car renters rejoice.

Stability control is standard on the sportier three-door, optional on the five at an undisclosed price. NHTSA hasn’t thrown one into a wall yet, but the European NCAP crowned the Astra the safest compact sedan in Europe, earning a score better than even the BMW 1-series. Again assuming parity with the European hardware, the stability control system even features “Understeer Control Logic,” which knows to increase brake pressure on the inner rear wheel. Neat.

Other vehicles:

• Scion xB
  • Hyundai Sonata
  • Volkswagen Rabbit
  • Mini Cooper
  • Toyota Camry
  • Volvo C30
  • Dodge Charger
  • Honda Accord
  • Mazda CX-7

I want one, an XR 3dr. Red.