Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regfootball

CROSSOVERS

52 posts in this topic

Crossovers, one of the most lucrative and busting new segments ever.

Automakers are rushing to fill their lineups with all sorts of them. Size, price, etc.

They are starting to establish their own design type.

They are replacing fuel sucking BOF SUV's.

The big wave is just starting, yet, I am now tired of them all.

Is this a fad? Or will most vehicles sold in the future be crossovers?

How do you feel? I'm already kinda sick of them.

You mean big station wagons? That's really all they are - station wagons with extra headroom and unnecessary ground clearance.

I understand the need for the larger ones - Lambdas, Taurus X, Pacifica - but the small sport/luxury crossovers are so laughable to me. Overpriced, worse on fuel economy than a comperable sedan, and totally lacking utility. I recently saw a couple try to squeeze a vacuum cleaner into a Hyundai Tuscon - they were rearranging some bags, folding down a seat, all this hassle. I helped my girlfriend buy a similar vacuum cleaner a few weeks ago and I opened my trunk, put it in, and closed my trunk. WTF?

Give me a '76 Estate Wagon with the power tailgate and glass. I'd fiddle with it to make it operate with a key fob to irritate those without power liftgates on their '08s. Not only does it look better than these Veracruz, R-Class jokers, but it carries more, tows more, seats more (9 versus 7), and probably gets similar mileage.

Everyone is going to want more room in the future, whether real or perceived, but there are also many that don't want a truck-like ride. So yes, crossovers are going to continue to boom. I see no end in sight for at least 5-7 years.

Crossovers don't interest me generally- I'd rather have a true wagon.

+1, being that's what i started out with. only thing that's nice in X-overs could be adjustable back seats. be it 2nd or 3rd row.

Get me a Roadmaster Estate, and I'll just sit in the Costco Parking lot loading bags to make people jealous at the efficient use of space compared to a weenie crossover.

I don't care for trucks or SUV, but I can still see the purpose of crossovers. If you don't need to tow anything, and don't need to go offroading, would you rather have a minivan, a BOF suv that gets 15mpg, or a crossover? I'd pick the crossover.

The only drawback for most crossovers, is FWD, which doesn't really matter for this type of vehicle.

I'd take an SRX over an Escalade.

I call them "fat wagons" and I think they are the perfect combination of utility and passenger space. I can see them being around for 15-20 years before their image as a soccer mom mobile fails them.

Well, the funny thing is despite being "late to the game" :rolleyes:, the domestics have the segment stunners.

Swanky stylin'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Classic wagon remixed

Posted Image

Spongebob DVD on constant loop

Posted Image

Gotta say my fav crossovers are the Flex, Acadia, SRX, Enclave, and Taurus X.

I don't care for trucks or SUV, but I can still see the purpose of crossovers. If you don't need to tow anything, and don't need to go offroading, would you rather have a minivan, a BOF suv that gets 15mpg, or a crossover? I'd pick the crossover.

+1

I don't tow, I don't go off-roading, and I don't like many any of the current minivan offerings (although the power sliding dual doors are a cool feature). Crossovers appeal to me the most, especially with two kids and the desire to travel with more than 5 people in one vehicle. Personally, I like trucks and would rather have a truck-baed/BOF SUV over a crossover, but a Yukon Denali XL is a little out of the question price-wise when compared to the Acadia!!!

However, my love of the GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4WD overides common sence and I'd gladly take it over a BOF suv or crossover :P

The "crossover" name is new (and vague - everything from the SRX to Vibe is being called that), but the carlike SUV has been with us for a while. Things like the X5, RX300, Pilot, CR-V, and Highlander were all considered SUVs until the word "SUV" became antisocial. I see the "crossover craze" as SUVs becoming roomier, more comfortable, more efficient, and better handling.

You mean big station wagons? That's really all they are - station wagons with extra headroom and unnecessary ground clearance.

I understand the need for the larger ones - Lambdas, Taurus X, Pacifica - but the small sport/luxury crossovers are so laughable to me. Overpriced, worse on fuel economy than a comperable sedan, and totally lacking utility. I recently saw a couple try to squeeze a vacuum cleaner into a Hyundai Tuscon - they were rearranging some bags, folding down a seat, all this hassle. I helped my girlfriend buy a similar vacuum cleaner a few weeks ago and I opened my trunk, put it in, and closed my trunk. WTF?

its so funny. one of my recent work trips.....the guy i was with rented a sportage (tucson clone). we had to work like hell to get 3 pieces of luggage and some drawings and work bags in that tiny trunk.....the whole time i was thinking to myself.....this would not even fill half the trunk on my 500.

i've really been reflecting internally lately on what i need to do when my 500 lease is up next fall or before then. we have the aztek which suits our crossover needs well, but i still might really prefer a minivan in the future or 3 row crossover....(even though the aztek has more cargo space than 90% of the crossovers out there). If i picked a taurus x, i'd lose 1/3 to 1/2 the usable cargo area i have in the aztek now. so i have been leaning towards the flex, assuming it spacious enough. otherwise i may succumb to a minivan (most likely i would find a lightly used freestar at an auction for like 9 grand and pimp it up with some 6 spoke 18 inch wheels and a big time audio video system). at a minimum, i will replace the 500 with a taurus.

but then, when i get those 'bored with crossover' attacks, i realize that i could be really damn happy with another large sedan, but sportier, like say...G8!

i just wonder if crossovers are a ten year fad or if they will basically become the new sedan and truck all in one.

one benefit with sedans...cargo area is closed off from the cabin. sometimes good, sometimes bad.

i guess an all black base model flex is probably the leader right now. point being, even though crossovers are becoming tired and cliched, i guess i would have to lean towards getting one becuase you really get hooked on utility 6 days a week. you'd like a kick ass car for day 7 to beat on, but who can justify the extra car?

Edited by regfootball

Reg, when the Flex hits lots, I expect a very detailed test drive from you. Seriously, I really like the looks and the space advantage over the Edge is appealing, especially if Ford saw fit to offer an Element-like hose-out interior with flat fold seats.

Personally, I am entirely sick of the entire 'truck' thing. Madison Avenue has run its course in convincing us that big, gas guzzling SUVs are what we need and killed off the image of the minivan, but the truth is that a family of 5 or 6 needs something other than a Malibu or Accord when it comes to long trips. Safety factors have killed off the large sedan as the preferred family hauler. We would routinely pile 4 or 5 kids in the back seat of my parents big Chryslers and Pontiacs - but that was 35 years ago, before seatbelt legislation, etc.

Three rows are mandatory for a large family today. A cross-over if you must; a minivan is better.

I think the crossover is a natural change. First station wagon, then minivan, then big SUV. Now you put the best features of each one together and you get a good looking family vehicle.

Wagon

Pros - Good handling, good gas mileage, comfortable seats

Cons - Not tall enough on the inside for cargo space, not much legroom or headroom

Minivan

Pros - Tons of cargo space, easy to enter, packed with options and doodads

Cons - Ugly, poor handling & suspension control, not so comfortable rear seats, squeeky doors (no matter who makes it, they get squeeky with age)

BOF SUV

Pros - Can pull anything you want, 4wd or Awd, high comfortable seating, a view from upabove

Cons - Gas mileage, cost, hard to get into

Crossover

Pros - Can pull larger trailer, Awd, high comfortable seating, a view from above, decent gas mileage, tons of cargo space, easy to enter, packed with doodads, and good gas mileage

Cons - Some are too small to be useful. This could be said of any of the other options as well.

Being a parent of 2 and having both a small car (Cobalt) and a large SUV (Suburban), I can tell you that the Cobalt got old real quick when it came to even the smallest of family errands. The Suburban was also not so easy with kids, as it was always a chore to get them in it. Atleast with the Suburban we could fit everything, and everyone we wanted to come along. Something we can't say about the Cobalt or even our Park Avenue.

As a parent, I can only tell you that the 'crossover' paradigm works real well with baby seats and misc. gear--I think the h-point is somehow more ergonomic....but I can tell you the height, weight and drag of an AWD/4wd set-up make most of the ones of driven mediocre 'Cars' in the truest sense of the word.

I love wagons. There. I've admitted it.

But I can see why SUV escappees love em (X-over's, that is)

Edited by enzl

I see why crossovers have a place in the market. But they are, by definition, compromise vehicles and I just can't make myself compromise when I buy a vehicle.

I think if I really needed a people hauler, I'd get a Suburban and be done with it. Nothing beats it for utility.

The Suburban is truly the unmatched jack of all trades and master of all. When all other SUVs whither and die, the Suburban will still remain.

The Suburban is truly the unmatched jack of all trades and master of all. When all other SUVs whither and die, the Suburban will still remain.

:yes: Exactly.

I miss my Roadmaster Estate... :(

Yes, exactly... OR I'll take a nice STURDY (BOF) SUV

like a TrailBlazer or Tahoe.

Also, if I was overly concerned with interior volume,

fuel economy & I did not want to be politically

incorrect by driving a big 4x4 Suburban or what not

but I still had 2008 equinox type money I'd buy one

of these and have 2nd & 3rd row installed!

Now that's a good compromise between style, price,

passanger capacity & massive-cargo GVWR!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Believe it or not, there are some people who don't like the way trucks drive. I'm one of them. I don't go offroading, I don't tow, and if I did it would be jet ski or 2. But that is nothing the Lambdas can't handle. I'm a big fan of RWD, but if you are in a big 5000 SUV, what good is it? It's not like your going to be drag racing or taking it to the autocross. I would take an Acadia over the Suburban.

Believe it or not, there are some people who don't like the way trucks drive. I'm one of them. I don't go offroading, I don't tow, and if I did it would be jet ski or 2. But that is nothing the Lambdas can't handle. I'm a big fan of RWD, but if you are in a big 5000 SUV, what good is it? It's not like your going to be drag racing or taking it to the autocross. I would take an Acadia over the Suburban.

Ditto, with the dearth of large true station wagons, the crossover is the best option for people who need the extra room but dont want the ponderous drive or less efficient interior of a traditional SUV.

To each his own, but I've been driving trucks (and HDs at that) for so long that I'm totally comfortable with the way they drive. The 1500 Suburban feels like a Vette after getting out of an HD pickup, and is remarkably nimble for such a large SUV.

Even so, I drive my HD Silverado more aggressively than most people drive a sportscar with complete confidence. Trucks are so much more capable as general drivers than ever before. It no longer requires any real effort to drive a truck - such was not the case before the GMT 400s in 1988.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0