So I'm feeling pretty confident

That I'll be able to order a new El Camino SS fairly soon.

But, I'm thinking that I'll probably hold-off until the second production year. With all of the drivetrain advances happening so fast lately, I have a feeling that an engine upgrade will happen in the second or third year.

Opinions?

Other ideas/concerns?

Another factor is that I'd like to be able to pay cash for it and I'll need some time to make that happen.

Buy it as sson as you can. Chances are they will be hot tickets here in the US...so even a year down the road it will still be worth what you gave for it. I doubt that the advances in the drivetrain will outgun your need for the car. I still drive my 04 Vette and love it - even though a base car can be had with 100 more horses out of the box! Buy what you like an dhave fun with it. You only live once - go order that car/truck!

Buy it as sson as you can. Chances are they will be hot tickets here in the US...so even a year down the road it will still be worth what you gave for it. I doubt that the advances in the drivetrain will outgun your need for the car. I still drive my 04 Vette and love it - even though a base car can be had with 100 more horses out of the box! Buy what you like an dhave fun with it. You only live once - go order that car/truck!

In other words, "Resistance is Futile"

You may be right.

I hate to break this it to you. but I was reading online elsewhere:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/chevr...no/saywhat.html

That if and when the Holden UTE comes here, it won't be a Chevrolet.. I am sorry.. The divisions that "may be" in the running for it are: GMC and Pontiac. There is something about Chevrolet having too many vehicles already. Bob Lutz wrote someone an email about it.

Sorry.. If you believe it or not, that is your choice.

I hate to break this it to you. but I was reading online elsewhere:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/chevr...no/saywhat.html

That if and when the Holden UTE comes here, it won't be a Chevrolet.. I am sorry.. The divisions that "may be" in the running for it are: GMC and Pontiac. There is something about Chevrolet having too many vehicles already. Bob Lutz wrote someone an email about it.

Sorry.. If you believe it or not, that is your choice.

Shhhhhhhhhhh! :P

While this would be a bad idea, I doubt it would prevent a purchase on my part.

I happen to like Pontiacs.

And I loved the original Sprints from GMC.

Others may not take it so well, however.

Reading elsewhere online, they so far have been mixed....

I can see why they might be doing it:

The G8 and UTE share the same interior. This puts it in line with GMC/Buick/Pontiac dealership thing.

Chevrolet just had the SSR. You know how well that went over.

GMC did not get the Avalanche.

Pontiac did that Grand Am El Camino in the early 1980's..

GMC Also this:

Posted Image

and this:

Posted Image

And... this UTE is going to be low volume anyway. Chevrolet is mass market.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Blame the edict for GMC and blame marketing for the Latino name, and trying to appeal to the largest minority in the USA now.

I find that funny because both names are Spanish.

I, for one, welcome the return of the Caballero nameplate. It sounds upscale and is certainly a better choice than Sprint, especially given its similarity to that dopey van.

So wait, according to PCS there will be a GMC Cabalero but GMC is getting the

ax. Opel, Pontiac & Buick are all going to be non-existant soon & Zeta will not

be successful so we can pretty much assume that GM will be just a historical

footnote, another Hudson or if you will Studebaker in a few years. :P:rolleyes:

I for one am happy to hear that this may be a GMC rather than a Chevy. However, I think the nameplate "Caballero" needs to remain in the past and I suggest Centaur (half man/half horse = half car/half truck). I suggested this over in the Holden Ute thread too. No charge GM for using this name, should you decide to use it :AH-HA_wink: :lol:

And I agree with you Moltar, die-hard Chevy El Camino fans will outsource parts from the Middle East Chevies if they have to to make the change from a GMC to a Chevy.

PCS, you better start doing more than singing! You seem to know a lot of what's going to change within GM. It's not nice to keep secrets from your friends!!! :P

So wait, according to PCS there will be a GMC Cabalero but GMC is getting the

ax. Opel, Pontiac & Buick are all going to be non-existant soon & Zeta will not

be successful so we can pretty much assume that GM will be just a historical

footnote, another Hudson or if you will Studebaker in a few years. :P:rolleyes:

Where did I say GMC is getting the axe? I said one truck brand only. I do not care which one, just pick one! If GM does become another Hudson, Studebaker or even Kaiser, all the better for you, some more old bones for you to pick over. :P

To even suggest killing Chevrolet trucks is pretty much saying GM should curl up and die.

I was feeling confident but now my parade has been rained on. I'm getting tired of all this "speculation" with no proof of brands going away. Until I see some proof then I assume a certain poster is just FOS.

I don't care if it comes here as El Camino under the Chevy brand or whatever name under the GMC brand, I'll still have one in the driveway.

In our market, it's just foolish to name it anything but El Camino.

That's the bottom line for me on this.

Not to mention as much as GMC should get their own version

Chevrolet is the value & volume division, they should have

the elCamino first and foremost.

I was feeling confident but now my parade has been rained on. I'm getting tired of all this "speculation" with no proof of brands going away. Until I see some proof then I assume a certain poster is just FOS.

I don't care if it comes here as El Camino under the Chevy brand or whatever name under the GMC brand, I'll still have one in the driveway.

Just because you don't like the message or the messenger, that doesn't make the message wrong. From now on I'm not going to hint at what GM plans to do, I will be too busy in my new assignment anyway, which I will carry out in my usual German utmost efficiency, as always. From now on we can all just sit around the GM campfire and sing Kumbaya as the press releases come down from on high. :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Ok Mr. Sensitive, I never said anything about not liking the messenger, so stop making this personal, its not. It's been my experience that those who hint at stuff like this without providing any proof are full of hot air. I'm ready for you to prove me wrong.

In the end there will be just one.

Wasn't that sentence in the 'Highlander'movie? :smilewide:

Just because you don't like the message or the messenger, that doesn't make the message wrong. From now on I'm not going to hint at what GM plans to do, I will be too busy in my new assignment anyway, which I will carry out in my usual German utmost efficiency, as always. From now on we can all just sit around the GM campfire and sing Kumbaya as the press releases come down from on high. :P

*sings*KUMBAYYYYAAAAAA Pontiac, KUMBAYYYYAAAAAA !!! :P