First Box Flex now tailgate flex?

Yesterday I was on my way back from a delivery when I new Tundra passed by on the main road I was turning onto. It was loaded with 2 queen mattresses tied to the top of the bed with some stuff under it in the bed itself and the tailgate down. I was thinking to myself "Huh, someone's actually using it for it's purpose. But a second later I noticed that the tailgate seemed warped. Curious, I turned onto the road and followed it a little ways instead of going down left side of the fork in the road I went right (the way it was going).

I thought may be it was an illusion, since the outer sheetmetal is rounded...but looking at it I saw that inside part with the bedliner did indeed look warped...like the middle of it was sagging down a bit.

So I have to wonder...is this something that has occurred in more than one Tundra or what? I mean, the load it was carrying didn't look overly heavy or anything...and the items weren't even resting on the tailgate.

Talked to a guy today I am going to do some work for. We were looking at my 2500HD and he said he wanted to get a truck (he drives an '02 jetta) and he was thinking about the tundra "because toyotas are supposed to run forever". After discreetly vomiting into the bushes, I asked him if he had heard about the camshafts snapping on the tundra. He hesitated and said 'Well, I was thinking about the tundra." Nice.

Ok, that like happened to like 20 Tundras out of like 60,000 made from January to May, that is like 0.3%. I'm sure it does not happen to all Toyotas, as it is the basis of many Toyota jokes on this board.

GM humpers are going to say it happened to every Tundra. Toyota humpers are going to point to the 20 vehicles Toyota said it effected. In reality. its probably somewhere in between those two numbers, likely closer to 20 than 60,000.

For as many Tundras are selling, I've seen a grand total of five '07s on the road here since May. All have been in the city/suburbs too. After all the hype the Tundra still hasn't cracked the market that it was supposed to. Take away those $5000-7000 rebates, and I bet the numbers plunge closer to what the '06 was selling.

GM humpers are going to say it happened to every Tundra. Toyota humpers are going to point to the 20 vehicles Toyota said it effected. In reality. its probably somewhere in between those two numbers, likely closer to 20 than 60,000.

point being, the fact that that exists at all doesn't make you question the reliability?

"Hi, I just dropped 35g on a new truck that has a documented chance of destroying its own engine."

Considering the lack of care given to the engine, I'd be damm worried about the rest of the truck, tranny, 4wd system, suspension, wiring, safety and airbags, rustproofing.

There was a last gen camry in front of me at McNDons the other day. RUST ON THE TRUNKLID around the lic plate trim. Not a little, A LOT. in MN you are used to seeing rust on cars fairly quickly, but this was a VERY new camry.....Couldn't have been more than 5 years old. Not even gross neglect for washing would have justified the amount of rust on that tinfoil trunk lid.

Ok, that like happened to like 20 Tundras out of like 60,000 made from January to May, that is like 0.3%. I'm sure it does not happen to all Toyotas, as it is the basis of many Toyota jokes on this board.

20 with very few miles on them. What happens at 40,000, 60,000, or 70,000 miles is the real question. Will it still only be the select few, or will a large number experience it?

This seems to go along with what I saw. I can count the number of Turdras I have seen on one hand, but one that I saw that was towing a small utility trailer was sagging very badly. This was the type of trailer that could be pulled by something like an S10. It looked hilarious with its ugly pig snout sticking up in the air.

Creative uses for all the Unsold Tundras......

10. Ring the planet in a meteor-proof shield.

9. Stunt doubles for real trucks. This would require an out-of-focus, awfully low-resolution video camera to have a shot at working.

8. Every city, town, village and burg gets a customized "No you can't snowplow with this" diorama.

7. Three words - Monster Truck Fodder

6. Time capsules buried beneath the corner of every new building - An ominous warning about bad taste, which will not be lost on future generations.

5. The cure for herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea, and many other STDS, because driving that truck, you ain't getting any.

4. Beached whale decoys.

3. Grind each Tundra into dust to produce highly effective nerd attractant. A one ounce vial would be enough to clear entire city blocks.

2. Prison justice. No explanation necessary.

1. Ship every last Tundra to China. If lead-based paint is ok, the Tundra will be a smash hit.

Edited by plane

6. Time capsules buried beneath the corner of every new building - An ominous warning about bad taste, which will not be lost on future generations.

Hopefuly MORE water will get in than what ruined Miss Belvedere.

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/miss-belvedere-on-display/

7. Three words - Monster Truck Fodder

Even some POS Ford (Big Foot) would decimate any Tundra.

5. The cure for herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea, and many other STDS, because driving that truck, you ain't getting any.

Ewww... it's true though. :P

1. Ship every last Tundra to China. If lead-based paint is ok, the Tundra will be a smash hit.

Agreed. But first load up the beds with Asbestos.