Wow this is tough...

I quit smoking. After trying the gum and having that fail miserably I went to my doctor and got a prescription for the stop smoking drug Chantix. It doesn't totally get rid of the cravings but it does make them more managable. After about 5 weeks I took myself off of it because I didn't like the side effects. I still fight with it everyday, but I won't cave in. I keep thinking of the money I am saving.

This is the toughest thing I have done. For anyone out there trying to quit, good luck with it, I know how hard it is. Think of the money you'll save by quitting. I smoked a carton a week and her in VA a carton of the brand I smoked was $28.

$28x4=$112. That's how much I save a month. $112x12=$1,344 is how much I will save in a year. When you think of it like that, it really helps.

Best of luck to you!

I know from watching one of my friends try over and over to quit, it is difficult. You have to just stick with it!

And remember, it's not just about the money, but you'll be adding years to your life. And that's something you can't put a price on.

Mr Trees, as a former smoker myself, I know what you're going through. It is tough, but you sound like you've mastered the hardest part - wanting to quit. I kept two 10 lb weights by my favourite chair in the living room and when I watched TV (instead of smoking) I would continuously curl these weights. At first I wouldn't smoke because I couldn't lift my arms! LOL Now however, not only am I a non-smoker, I have impressive pipes.

Take that money you're saving, put it in a separate account, and watch it grown weekly. Keep a spending goal in mind and have a great time spending it in a year!

Edited by staceface

Thanks guys, its a daily fight. I do feel better for it, its nice not having my chest hurt when I wake up. My clothes and my truck don't stink.

I am sorry I ever started, and I am not quite sure why I did.

I think with all the money I'm saving, I'll put it away to save up for the Silverado 427. I saw the concept last weekend in Richmond and after seeing it up close I have got to have one!

Good luck dude, mind over matter. I know it's very tough.

Smoking really is a gross habit.

Mr Trees, as a former smoker myself, I know what you're going through. It is tough, but you sound like you've mastered the hardest part - wanting to quit. I kept two 10 lb weights by my favourite chair in the living room and when I watched TV (instead of smoking) I would continuously curl these weights. At first I wouldn't smoke because I couldn't lift my arms! LOL Now however, not only am I a non-smoker, I have impressive pipes.

Take that money you're saving, put it in a separate account, and watch it grown weekly. Keep a spending goal in mind and have a great time spending it in a year!

I like that idea.... :thumbsup:

Keep up the good fight, ST. :yes:

I tried the wellbutrin thing and it worked pretty well - for a while. I has some odd side-effects which I made the mistake of telling the doctor about. She promptly cut the dosage in half and it stopped working.

I didn't want to get on that stuff, it's mainly used as an anti-depressant. I didn't really want to take pills anyway, but the gum turned out to be a waste of money.

Keep it up man and good luck! :thumbsup:

A friend of mine smokes way too much; up to three packs a day now and he's younger than me by a year or so.

My father also smokes (I don't), but admittedly not much. He told me simply, "Don't smoke unless you can afford it." Nowadays, that's reason enough.

I didn't want to get on that stuff, it's mainly used as an anti-depressant. I didn't really want to take pills anyway, but the gum turned out to be a waste of money.

The sad part is that it was really working (if you know me that's nothing short of a miracle) so if you need it to keep going I'd say to give it a try. But if you have funky vision or weird dreams, don't tell your doctor. :AH-HA_wink:

A habit does not change over night. Set your sights on your goal small. A week. A week leads to a month. A month leads to a year. Do not beat yourself up. You can you will be successful. Just do not start eating more. That is the only catch. Find a new hobby and interest. Develop that. The behavior must be changed. You can change it. The mind is a powerful tool. You can be successful. Think about other things you changed in your life and were successful. Develop a pattern for change.

Best of Luck. You can and will succeed.

A habit does not change over night. Set your sights on your goal small. A week. A week leads to a month. A month leads to a year. Do not beat yourself up. You can you will be successful. Just do not start eating more. That is the only catch. Find a new hobby and interest. Develop that. The behavior must be changed. You can change it. The mind is a powerful tool. You can be successful. Think about other things you changed in your life and were successful. Develop a pattern for change.

Best of Luck. You can and will succeed.

Thanks 98. The unfortunate part for me is I did start eating more, so now I am trying to fight two things. I am coming up on two months now since I quit.

The sad part is that it was really working (if you know me that's nothing short of a miracle) so if you need it to keep going I'd say to give it a try. But if you have funky vision or weird dreams, don't tell your doctor.

I actually had dreams about smoking, really vivid dreams about smoking, I could feel it, taste it, it was a wierd expierence.

My name is PCS, and I am a Sexaholic! What I seek is Sexual Sobriety!

Not making fun of you Screaming Trees, but sometimes when you fight an addiction, laughter goes a long way towards the healing precess. I hope you beat your addiction.

It's all good PCS, you know I think I would rather be addicted to sex, how bad could that be, then again.......

Congratulations on taking the initiative to improve your health. :)

My father also smokes (I don't), but admittedly not much. He told me simply, "Don't smoke unless you can afford it." Nowadays, that's reason enough.

Such a true statement. The grocery store I work at, you can't touch a carton Marlboro's for under $40. Which is cheap for New England. I'm almost sure NH has the lowest cigarette tax of the 6 New England States.