What type or types of vehicle(s) do you buy new?

Camino LS6

If I ever own one new vehicle it will be a new Camaro.

- Rear wheel drive

- hardtop (pillarless fixed roof)

- manual trans. (three pedals on the floor)

- affordable V8

- classic styling that does not use retro as a crutch

- "functional" baack seat

So in other words ANY 2dr hardtop Zeta just might be worth buying IMHO.

Hey GM, how about a GTO or a Riviera?

Just to expand a bit:

Sedans - Why would I spend new-car-money on that? If I needed a "family " car , it would be a used one.

Minivans - Under no circumstances would I buy one.

SUVs - More than I need 99% of the time, since I always have a truck. An Avalanche is a possibility at some point though.

Crossovers - see minivan

Economy cars - I'd rather walk.

Wagons - none on the market that are worth the price to me. Magnum is an "almost"

Everything. I hate buying used because 90% of the time the car smells odd, and the prior person has beaten it up in one way or another.

Our next new vehicle will most likley be a Hybrid Traverse or something similar unless GM offers an Hybrid AWD wagon / sedan that fits our family. At his point in my life our cars are about logic vs emotion. When the kids move out I'll move back to emotion (possibly).

It's obvious that these choices reflect each of our different situations and sets of priorities. For me, I buy the trucks new as I want to get exactly the right tool for the job. The performance coupes I buy new to avoid the mistreatment many owners subject these cars to, and to get exactly what I want.

Anything else - used is just fine, or even preferable. For instance, I can't see spending 10-15k on an economy car when I could get something much better equipped and enjoyable for the same money or less.

In the past I've bought sports cars, sedans and pickup trucks. I don't consider the Av an SUV because its used more as a crew cab pickup truck. The next car I buy will be a sedan.

I will never buy a minivan. I would buy an economy car, but only for my kid, not for me. I may replace the Avalanche with an Acadia or Outlook because of the two big dogs.

I will also add that coupes are pretty much dead to me right now. There are none on the market that I either a) desire or b) can afford. If it were necessary to buy a coupe, I would choose a G6, but its not something I would actively pursue.

I guess I bought into the ideal of the personal luxury coupe way too late in its lifetime. To me, its the ultimate expression of American excess and contempt - take an already large car, remove two doors to make it less useful, but keep it the same size, and load it up with things that normally only two people will enjoy. Don't make it sporty, don't make it handle particularly well, just make it look damn good. Unfortunately, this segement all but died a few months ago. And mock it if ye will, but the Monte Carlo was really the last car to capture that spirit.

Its intangible on face value and probably absurd to some, but to drive even a late-model Monte Carlo was a noticably different ride than driving an Impala. You feel a little more special to look at the reflection and realize that entire car was just for you. You don't have rear doors because you don't need them; passengers do. Is it awkward to get two or three people in the back? Sure is. f@#k passengers. This car is yours and its made for you and one passenger, the lucky guy but mainly girl that gets to ride with you in your car. The rear seat is really just for your stuff anyway.

I can see why the concept was so popular for so long. Its a very individualistic design scheme - or selfish, if you choose to say that. And it was so compelling that even Citroen and Toyota bought into it with SM and SC respectively. You think you really bought an SC400 in the early 90s because it 'handled nicely'? No. You bought it for the same reason some guy bought an Eldorado or Riviera. You wanted a huge car just for you.

Coupes today are all about purpose. Sport coupe. Muscle car coupe. Compact coupe. Utility coupes, you know, with a hatch in the back...wait...hatchback? Ewwww! Personal luxury coupes had no purpose except to placate ego. And that's what made them so damn cool, even today.

SUVs... my last new car was my '00 Grand Cherokee...I'm not sure what my next new car purchase will be, either a sports car for fun, or a luxury car or sports sedan for a daily driver. If I ever buy a FWD family sedan, minivan, or truck then I've lost my sanity.. :)

I will also add that coupes are pretty much dead to me right now. There are none on the market that I either a) desire or b) can afford. If it were necessary to buy a coupe, I would choose a G6, but its not something I would actively pursue.

I guess I bought into the ideal of the personal luxury coupe way too late in its lifetime. To me, its the ultimate expression of American excess and contempt - take an already large car, remove two doors to make it less useful, but keep it the same size, and load it up with things that normally only two people will enjoy. Don't make it sporty, don't make it handle particularly well, just make it look damn good. Unfortunately, this segement all but died a few months ago. And mock it if ye will, but the Monte Carlo was really the last car to capture that spirit.

Its intangible on face value and probably absurd to some, but to drive even a late-model Monte Carlo was a noticably different ride than driving an Impala. You feel a little more special to look at the reflection and realize that entire car was just for you. You don't have rear doors because you don't need them; passengers do. Is it awkward to get two or three people in the back? Sure is. f@#k passengers. This car is yours and its made for you and one passenger, the lucky guy but mainly girl that gets to ride with you in your car. The rear seat is really just for your stuff anyway.

I can see why the concept was so popular for so long. Its a very individualistic design scheme - or selfish, if you choose to say that. And it was so compelling that even Citroen and Toyota bought into it with SM and SC respectively. You think you really bought an SC400 in the early 90s because it 'handled nicely'? No. You bought it for the same reason some guy bought an Eldorado or Riviera. You wanted a huge car just for you.

Coupes today are all about purpose. Sport coupe. Muscle car coupe. Compact coupe. Utility coupes, you know, with a hatch in the back...wait...hatchback? Ewwww! Personal luxury coupes had no purpose except to placate ego. And that's what made them so damn cool, even today.

I'm all about individuality. :thumbsup:

I've had quite a bit of different types... two-doors, coupes, pickups, sedans, crossovers, suvs... of course nowadays I need my vehicles to have 4-doors or more due to family needs. Personally, I like being behind the wheel of a pickup truck and can't wait for the moment to return to one (the Envoy is nice, but the only true SUV I really like and could like more than a pickup would be a Suburban/Yukon XL). I'm not a real large guy height-wise, but being 5'8" and 240 lbs I like my vehicles to be roomy & comfy. The AURA will be the last small car I own; I'm okay in it, but after an hour or longer in the driver's seat I start to feel too cramped. I've lately been using the Envoy for all of our long-haul trips just because I find it to be more comfortable. I'm hoping next year the wife will choose the Acadia or Enclave over the VUE for those reasons alone. In 2009, as long as gas prices don't get too far out of hand, I foresee myself in a Sierra. :D

I am bipolar, so I have owned pretty much everything....

'67 Dodge Polara (very used)

'82 Dodge Rampage (new)

'87 Dodge Shadow ES (new)

'91 Caprice wagon - on purpose, factory ordered

'98 Chevy Blazer 4WD (leased)

many, many company demos after that

'87 K-car (very used) for 3 months until rear-ended by yet another nutjob woman

brand new Optra 5 ( a month ago)

Practicality has always reigned supreme with me. The Caprice and Blazer were dictated by towing my power boat all over the country. The Polara was damned near free. The nightmares of the Rampage and Shadow killed Chrysler for me. The K-Car was a lark: $300 and it ran wonderful - well, that is relative, I suppose.

Cars are a horrible investment. I would never spend big $$ again to buy a car. I am beyond impressing people. I just want cheap, reliable transportation with a good stereo. Every time I buy anything that I like, some stupid woman crashes into it, so spending a lot of money makes no sense.

GM was just joshin ya when they called it an Aurora.... it's really a Toronado 4-door coupe.

I bought the CTS new, Avalanche used.

Having just learned that the Camaro will be for sale in Germany.... that makes my purchase decision in 16-18 months a little more difficult.

What better to prowl around on the Autobahn with than America's best sedan or best coupe?

I bought the CTS new, Avalanche used.

Having just learned that the Camaro will be for sale in Germany.... that makes my purchase decision in 16-18 months a little more difficult.

What better to prowl around on the Autobahn with than America's best sedan or best coupe?

So the re-location to Germany is semi-permanent?

So the re-location to Germany is semi-permanent?

3 to 5 years ideally. depends on if I meet a nice German guy and settle down.

Whatever happens, I'm not returning to Pittsburgh to live.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

I buy work vehicles and family daily drivers.

My last two work vehicles were a Dodge 5.9 3/4 ton van and a Chevy Express 3/4 with a 4.8.

My last two drivers were a Caravan Sport 3.3 and a Magnum R/T.

I've owned hundreds of vehicles, but most were used, and most of those were used and older. I like the older stuff.