How long will you wait for a parking spot?

Satty

I went grocery shopping a little while ago, and I got a pretty good spot, right up in front. It just happened to be open, if it hadn't been, I would have parked further away, no biggie. Even with Alex with me, its not really that hard to walk a few yards to the door. So as I'm leaving, a car pulls into the aisle I was parked in and sees me unlock the car. So the woman (appeared to be mid-30's, by herself in the car, stops, puts on her turn signal and waits as I put my groceries in the trunk. And waits as I take the cart over to the cart return. And waits as I put my son in his car seat. All told, she probably waited 4-5 minutes for a good spot when there were several open spots just a little ways down. The icing on the cake is that she apparently though she could drive through my car and tried to pull into the spot while I was backing up.

Down at the outlet mall in Ellenton, some guy in an Armada actually followed my girlfriend and I out to our car a good 1500 feet or so deep in the parking lot. Unnecessarily close, too; I could feel the ugliness creeping up on me. Needless to say I took for-ev-ah - opened the door for her, put our things in the trunk, got in myself, turned the key, got back out, took something from the trunk, put it in the backseat, got out again, popped the hood, stared at the engine for about thirty seconds, closed it, went to the backseat, got the bag I had put there and put it back in the trunk, got back in, diddled with the radio and the woman was STILL THERE! I would estimate a good five minutes elapsed at the car alone, not counting walking time.

Sweet irony came when I pulled out because she was so close to me she had to back up several feet so I could get out. Just at that moment, this older couple in a Milan drove around the corner, put on their signal (the woman in the Armada never did), I waved them into the spot, and we drove away laughing our asses off.

I mean c'mon. It wasn't even a good parking space.

P.S.

CLICKY ~47 seconds in.

Actually, I like parking far away because it's easier to pull in, get out, and you don't have to worry about people dinging your car.

That reminded me of an ad in Portuguese TV: this guy parks his immaculate red Mondeo far away from other cars and when he turns his back on his car a satellite falls right on the car :lol:

EDIT - I park as far away as possible from other cars at the park near the office. Some people have no respect for other people's cars...

Edited by ZL-1

honnestly if its not an open parking lot, i dont go up and down the rows... i actually pick a far away spot...

after driving company cars 2 firebird, my dually, a couple corvettes... its not worth anything to get a near by parking spot...

it agrivates me soo much to see people hogging up the lane cause they want a spot...

you should have asked the lady for a ride...

but seriously i dont go out shopping days like the day after thanksgiving or christmas when everything is overflowing with vehicles

I never wait for a spot. I am the guy who parks way way way out at the end of the parking lot. I do this for two reasons, I don't like people parking next to my car and truck, and I need the extra exercise to trudge my ass into the store. I even do this in the rain and snow.

Yeah.... people are lazy & stupid.

Like the RAV4 driver that told me "this is the cheapest gas around, I drove like 20 min out of my way to gas up here!"

The gas there was $2.65 when most places were charging $0.14 more.

20 minute drive = what, maybe 15 miles... in a RAV4 =that's half a gallon, so she just broke even besty case scenario

and wasted time and miles (wear & tear on her car) for a few pennies.

Yeah.... people are lazy & stupid.

Like the RAV4 driver that told me "this is the cheapest gas around, I drove like 20 min out of my way to gas up here!"

The gas there was $2.65 when most places were charging $0.14 more.

20 minute drive = what, maybe 15 miles... in a RAV4 =that's half a gallon, so she just broke even besty case scenario

and wasted time and miles (wear & tear on her car) for a few pennies.

shhh dont ruin their enthusiasm

my mom will do the same thing, but she spends that extra effort on every purchase it is... wether its a brussel sprout to a full tank of fuel

I always park far, far away, to the point where my car looks like a tiny blue speck when standing at the storefront. I never have a problem finding one of those.

I always park far, far away, to the point where my car looks like a tiny blue speck when standing at the storefront. I never have a problem finding one of those.

the worst thing is you dont even have a blue car...

lol i did that today, parked my truck on the opposite end of the parking lot as i go in for groceries... lol the guy comes out to load my stuff in my car i'm like its waaay over there...

At stores and stuff I don't care...I just park at the first spot I see open. A little walking never hurt anyone.

What pisses me off is when people are aren't handicap (besides in the head, and not legally) park in handicap spots because they are fat and/or lazy. Walk fatass and you'll actually lose some of the weight!

At school however it's an entirely different matter. UMass Lowell is notorious for horrible parking...not enough parking spots for everyone.

It's especially bed on North Campus...because there are literally no parking spaces to be found mid-day and the only way to get one is to follow someone who is leaving...and to dual with other drivers too.

South Campus didn't used to be as bad...but this semester I've actually seen the big parking lot full for the first time inmy3 years being there. I try to find a close spot if I can but usually I'm stuck at the end. This is a problem because it literally takes 10 minutes to walk from the end of that parking lot to buildings like McGoveran (XP can attest to this). I try if at all possible to park in the small parking lot behind Coburn...because it's close to the rest of the buildings and is a short walk. I've seen people wait for open spots for up to a half hour. I'd never wait that long...if a spot doesn't open after 10 minutes I'd leave...but I never wait that long anyway.

The key to parking there is two-fold: Knowing when classes get out and knowing how to get the spot before the other people (there's always cars waiting to park). My class starts at 10am...in order to get a spot there is a very small window between 9:55 and 10:05 where some people get out from class an leave...any later and the lot is full for another hour or so...any earlier and you're waiting. The other tactic I've learned to use is to play a little dirty... Everyone enters the lot and goes counter clockwise around the middle row to wait for spots...there's always a line.

I go clockwise...so I'm the only car in that direction...and I've got the car in Drive so I'm ready to snag the spot quickly. If course, I'm not a total ass about it...if someone is closer and has their turn signal on and is in position to park...I won't take that spot from the...I'll wait for another.

Since I've Employed these tactics I've gotten a spot every time. :AH-HA_wink:

Campus parking is a problem just about everywhere. Thats why I have a bike. I have a permit for work, that lot is about a block from work and five miles from campus. Load the bike onto the car, park in lot, ride to class, ride from class to work, ride from work to car, drive home. Beautiful system.

Campus parking is a problem just about everywhere. Thats why I have a bike. I have a permit for work, that lot is about a block from work and five miles from campus. Load the bike onto the car, park in lot, ride to class, ride from class to work, ride from work to car, drive home. Beautiful system.

Yeah I've thought about taking the bike to school for that...I did it a few times to travel from South to North Campus instead of driving to and fro but didn't really bother with it this semester so far.

Those Hummer bikes are nifty the way the fold in half...makes them very compact. My friend can actually fit it in his `93 Corolla...which is impressive to say the least (they have like no trunk room).

All told, she probably waited 4-5 minutes for a good spot when there were several open spots just a little ways down.

I have little patience...and I prefer to be in motion (driving) rather than wait...

BTW, Satty...I LIKE your signature. :thumbsup: ain't that the truth!

one christmas season, my youngest daughter and I needed to go to the mall. It must have been within the week before, since I try like crazy to get everything done and avoid it the closer it gets to the big day.

We couldn't find a parking spot to save our life, the lots were full, the overflow parking was full, we ended up seeing an older couple walking out to the back 40. We had to wait for them to exit a parking spot (on an angle because that's where they piled the mall's snow removal, at least 1/2 mile away from the mall, near some huge dumpsters). I was a combination of resigned, and dreading the crowds inside. The older couple pulled out their Toyota, waited for me to park, and exit my car, and they smiled and asked if we needed a ride to the mall!! My daughter Hannah was MORTIFIED, but i gratefully said yes and they dropped us off right at the mall door.

Life's too short to stress about parking, and just when you're pretty sure it sucks - it doesn't!

Having to wait for a spot to park is a sure sign that too many people live in the area - time to move! :AH-HA_wink:

... umm not exactly... just means your city needs to expand its retail areas...

in cali... sure there is a massive amount of people but there is generally enough alternatives you can goto a different store for parking...

and if there is too many people, i just dont go shopping that day...

even here on base, certain parts of the day the px and commisary are completely filled with cars... since i can walk to them, i can if i had to but i really dont care that much to go shopping durring the busy hours of the day...

There was a study a few years ago that showed when someone was waiting for a parking space, it would take longer for the departing party to load up and leave.

I generally park way back in the parking lot unless I'm driving my beater Honda.

in cali... sure there is a massive amount of people but there is generally enough alternatives you can goto a different store for parking...

even here on base, certain parts of the day the px and commisary are completely filled with cars... since i can walk to them, i can if i had to but i really dont care that much to go shopping durring the busy hours of the day...

I think you missed the point...