Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
K.C.

Crossings

86 posts in this topic

I love it.

Is that looking at Brooklyn or Staten Island?

Is that bridge one level or double-decked, I've forgotten?

The Verrazano is a double-decker. I would think that we're looking at Staten Island, due to the apparent lack of city lights. Staten Island is a little more "suburbia" than you'd think given that it's one of the five boroughs of NYC...kind of like Nassau County on LI.

I do love that bridge. I got to drive over it the first time this year, though I've been a passenger over it a few times. On the five-boro bike tour that they run in May, the last leg goes over the Verrazano onto Staten Island, with no cars on it. I'd love to take part in that one year.

These are nice pictures. I really like cable-stayed bridges. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of them in California.

Staten Island is a little more "suburbia" than you'd think given that it's one of the five boroughs of NYC...kind of like Nassau County on LI.

Thanks for the info. And yes, I know that Staten Island has a ridiculously low population to the tune of about 500,000 whereas all of the other boroughs have almost 2,000,000 people each. I've been told it's because it's hard to get to NYC by car from it and that it makes a better bedroom community for New Brunswick and that area.

Mackinac Bridge in Michigan

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sunshine Skyway Bridge, Florida

Posted Image

Some classic iron, Manhattan Bridge, NY

Posted Image

Royal Gorge Bridge, Colorado

Posted Image

The Cooper River Bridge is HUGE! Cable stayed and Suspension are my favorite! Here's one of the most underrated bridges in the world, I think.

Posted Image

Here's my favorite cable stayed bridge that will never happen, unfortunately. This was a proposed I-70 Mississippi River bridge from Brooklyn, IL to St. Louis, MO. The tower leaned outwards and were proposed to be 562 feet tall. It would have been the largest cable stayed bridge in the world had the funding been approved for it.

Posted Image

Boston's Memorial Bridge

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Zakim Bridge is amazing. I believe its the widest cable stayed bridge in the world. Great shot of it.

The Zakim Bridge is amazing. I believe its the widest cable stayed bridge in the world. Great shot of it.

it has a long formal name! Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge

I've got a few more photos...I love this bridge...it's such a sleek and modern piece of architecture.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's my favorite cable stayed bridge that will never happen, unfortunately. This was a proposed I-70 Mississippi River bridge from Brooklyn, IL to St. Louis, MO. The tower leaned outwards and were proposed to be 562 feet tall. It would have been the largest cable stayed bridge in the world had the funding been approved for it.

Just curious, what did you study before grad school? Engineering or something related?

With the advance of Prestressed Concrete in foundation engineering and cast in place piles, cable Stressed Bridges are becoming expensive compared to regular girder over pile bridges.

The only thing in favor of Cable Stressed Bridges are their aesthetics. Engineers will rather have multiple locations of piles, and transfer smaller loads on each rather than having one huge span of Cable stayed bridge.

The Cooper River Bridge is HUGE!

A few stats:

Towers are 575 feet high/ Bridge is 200 feet off of the high water mark/ The cable stayed span is 1546 feet long/ Includes a 2.7 mile bicycle & pedestrian lane with benches/ 8 lanes of traffic/ The rock islands at the foot of the main towers are 1 acre above water & 5 acres below water and are made of stone from Canada.

It replaced the 76 year old Grace bridge that only had two 10 foot wide lanes (It was pretty scary to cross, LOL) and was rated at a 5 ton weight limit. It also replaced the Pearman bridge, built in 1968 which had 3 lanes of traffic but no shoulder or median.

Official name is the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Just curious, what did you study before grad school? Engineering or something related?

Double major/double minor

B.S. in Civil Engineering and Entrepreneurship.

Minors in physics and business management.

Going International, this is the Rio Antirio Bridge in Greece. This bridge was a real challenge due to the soil types that its built on. I think its beautiful. I'd like to visit it someday.

Posted Image

Kicking it old school, with the Brooklyn Bridge:

Posted Image

Note - that's the Manhattan Bridge in the background.

Lots of cool bridge postings...I love bridges.

Here is a neat one crossing the Ohio River back in my hometown of Steubenville, Ohio:

Posted Image

I think this bridge is beautiful in its simplicity because it does not take away from the beautiful scenery that surrounds it. This is the O'Connell Bridge in Sitka, Alaska.

Posted Image

There's a neat bridge in Astoria, Oregon...I drove under it but didn't get a chance to go over it a couple of years ago..will have to go back and drive over it...it was really high up (so ships could go under, I presume).

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0