UAW on strike at Chrysler!

Flybrian

UAW goes on strike at Chrysler
Posted Image
Bill Vlasic | Link to Original Article @ The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The United Auto Workers launched a strike against Chrysler LLC this morning after all-night negotiations failed to produce a tentative agreement on a new labor contract.

UAW members took to the picket lines at Chrysler plants in the second walkout against one of Detroit's Big Three during this year's contract talks.

Bargainers for Chrysler and the UAW worked through the night in a marathon session at the company's headquarters in Auburn Hills, but were unable to agree on critical issues of job security and health-care funding.

There was no immediate comment from Chrysler or the union. UAW President Ron Gettelfinger had informed UAW locals on Monday to be prepared for a strike if the “basis for a tentative agreement” was not in place by 11 a.m. today.

The Chrysler walkout follows a two-day strike at General Motors Corp. that ended Sept. 26 when the UAW and GM reached agreement on a new four-year contract. GM workers were expected to complete ratification votes on the deal today.

The UAW chose Chrysler on Oct. 5 as the next of the Big Three to negotiate a labor deal considered crucial to the competitiveness of domestic automakers versus their foreign competitors.

While GM and the UAW hammered out a contract that created a health-care trust for retirees and guaranteed jobs for active workers, Chrysler and the union have thus far failed to come to terms.

People close to the talks said Gettelfinger and Chrysler President Tom LaSorda led the negotiations Tuesday and today, but a deal was not in place by the 11 a.m. deadline.

The negotiations are the first for Chrysler as a privately owned corporation. Chrysler was acquired for $7.4 billion in August by private-equity firm Cerberus Capital Management after spending the past nine years as a division of German automaker DaimlerChrysler AG.

During the GM strike, negotiators for the UAW and the company returned to the bargaining table within hours of the start of the walkout. It was not clear when Chrysler and the union would resume negotiations.

You should see the overhead video footage of the HQ in Auburn Hills, there are a ton of people blocking the way in.

I think Contract workers should strike next!! We are the one's that aren't getting anything out of all of this, and in the near future either. We are the lowest paid workers within any of the Big 3. So somehow we keep getting repressed when it comes to benefits and increased wages. You want to know an example? My contract house(who will remain nameless) told me that I won't be getting a raise for an unforeseeable period of time. This is not just me but every contract worker under their authority, so I asked what a about an internal raise - NOPE!! In fact, they said if I find a job let them know, and if anyone else that does should probably take it???!!!! What the hell do they know that I don't know, and what kind of management is that??!!

Edited by RJB

I think GM is financially in better shape than either Chrysler or Ford. Is it really financially tangible for Chrysler (or Ford) to offer the same deal as GM to the UAW? :unsure:

I do agree with some other forum members: this is one way for Chrysler to reduce their inventory without having the fire department on standby status. :lol:

I think GM is financially in better shape than either Chrysler or Ford. Is it really financially tangible for Chrysler (or Ford) to offer the same deal as GM to the UAW? :unsure:

I do agree with some other forum members: this is one way for Chrysler to reduce their inventory without having the fire department on standby status. :lol:

I guarantee that this is a major point of debate right now. Chrysler, as a business, is not in good financial shape at all, so they are likely demanding more than GM on that basis, but the UAW is likely looking at Cerberus' big wallets and thinking they have enough money to honor the GM contract, if not more. As mentioned, this one will be very interesting - I'm sorry to say that though because there will be a lot of people that will suffer in the interim.

Anybody want to set an over/under on the number of days they'll be out?