Apparently, I needn't have worried about traffic...

...instead, like 2 cars of mine previously, being parked was what got my '87 MC LS hit. [My former "Silver Bullet" '88 MC LS was backed into on the street in front of our house; my former "Green Hornet" '00 LS was hit in the parking lot outside of the HardRock Cafe in downtown Nashville ... both with NO note left.]

*sighs*

I took my usual walk about 11 this morning. As I head back to the building, I pass by where my car is parked. This morning, I noticed that the license plate didn't look quite right. I walked closer ... and found a note tucked under the driver's side windshield wiper. Arg.

Apparently, a gal backed into my '87 MC LS as she was leaving earlier in the day. The car is NOT damaged all that much; most people wouldn't even know it had been hit, except for the folded up license plate. But, a closer look reveals that the lower bumper is pushed in slightly...and who knows what else underneath (if anything at all, of course).

So ... I called the number ... and only got music. Hmmm. I then called my insurance company and they advised I file a police report. In the meantime, the person that hit my car called me back. A brief conversation with her ... and it was clear this was going to be interesting. She told me she only damaged the license plate and that she would have to tell her Dad. Oye. I advised her that the license plate was NOT the only thing damaged and that I was filing a police report; she wasn't happy about that, but too bad.

When the police officer arrived, I felt like I was the one on trial. He asked me if I was sure I hadn't caused the damage...I was stunned. I showed him the note and advised him that, indeed, I had not caused that damage. He then asked if I had talked to her. I told him yes. His response? "So, why are you filing a police report?" Again, I was stunned. I told him I was filing a police report because my insurance company advised me to ... and because she told me she had to talk to her Dad ... and that she was claiming that she had only damaged the license plate, which I know not to be the case.

Finally got the police report completed and called my insurance company back. They gave me a list of places to take it, one being a Chevy dealership in the area. I spoke with a guy in the body shop there; I might just stop there on the way to work in the morning. We'll see....

In the meantime, I got a Voice Mail message from the officer.... Turns out, he tried to call the gal to talk to her. The first time he spoke to her, she HUNG UP ON HIM. Ohhhh my. He noted that he tried to call her a few more times, with no answer. So, it sounds as if he sees now that it was a good idea to file the report. Now, I just gotta finish the paperwork and send it in.

Hmph ... if I had had a winter beater by now, this wouldn't have been that big of a deal. But, ya'll know how much of a stickler I am with my Monte Carlos.... And, yes, I know ... I should do the kind thing and let it go ... but....well, I don't know.....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"For a moment you can hardly breathe" ... John Mayer ... 'Dreaming With A Broken Heart'

Had something like that happen to the 2000 when I had it. Though the person was better about dealing with it. Dont give up. I wouldnt worry too much about winter weather yet. In the worst case just drive the '81 if nothing else. Just a suggestion. But I wouldnt let it slide on any of my vehicles either. And the police should darn well know that you have to file a police report in order to get paid from insurance. Good luck and I hope the Monte Carlo turns out like new.

She sounds immature and irresponsible. Take the hassle and time to get her. If you can't get her insurance info, then have your insurance call her directly until they get it. It is there job to help and protect you in circumstances like this.

you obviously have an eye for detail and something more than the plate was probably damaged. she does sound irresponsible, and the officer was being an ass to you before he knew your side of the story...

anyone see the news about the kid around st louis that got pulled over and berated for no good reason? that cop got reprimanded, i believe.

I'm doubting this is the last time she leaves a note on a vehicle she runs into...

*nods*

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. Aye. See ... that's the problem, as I see it, anyway. People are "too afraid" to take ownership of their mistakes because of the consequences. I just have this feeling that you're right on this one ... she's "learned her lesson" about "doing the right thing".

*sighs*

As one of the gals at my insurance office noted when I spoke to her about the estimate I received, I'm in an almost impossible situation. I _want_ to be kind about this ... and NOT be too "hard nosed" to work something out, especially since she left a note. BUT ... given some events today (including the gal's SUPPOSED insurance office noting, in so many words, that my car "isn't worth fixing") it is becoming increasingly hard NOT to turn hard nosed.... After all, I'm not too keen on the idea of my hard-earned money paying for damage I did NOT create....

*rolls eyes*

Right now ... waiting game.

Arg.

Oh, and Oldsmoboi ... no, it was a dark green Dodge Caravan ... heh.

"I should ask, but I won't" ... Rebecca Lynn Howard ... 'Forgive'

Knightfan. Turn hard nosed. That is just her insurance company trying to get out of paying for something that their insured is responsible for. What I would do is have your insurance company take care of it and then sue her insurance company. Granted, you will be out your deductible, but you will eventually get it back. I had to do that in the last car accident I had. It was worth the deductible not to deal with the hassle. The way your insurance company should see it is that she admitted fault when she left the note, which in IL a written note like that is a legal document. I would push it until you get your car fixed the way you want. You are the innocent victim in this and she is at fault. She needs to take responsibility for her actions. This is an epidemic with people anymore. Complete bull$h!. Go get her. Sometimes you got to be an ass to get what is rightly yours.

The police have closed the report, labeling it a "hit and run". The gal who backed into my '87 MC LS has hung up on the police officer and has managed to (so far) elude responsibility, since she never gave me her last name (despite also giving me the name and ph# of her insurance agent) and is now not answering her phone, or hanging up on people.... Arg. And, of course, the van she hit me with has not returned to the scene. My insurance company tells me they are "investigating"....

Meantime, the '87 MC LS goes in tomorrow (Wednesday) for repairs. Estimate is about $150; but, that could easily go up, depending on what they find "underneath" the bumper when they go to re-adjust it to where it is supposed to be. And, that doesn't include painting, which, for now, I've declined. Anyway, I'll get stuck with the bill, since I have a $250 deductible. I sure hope that once it is fixed and the insurance company pays out the rental reimbursement, they kick their "investigation" up a notch.

It's just frustrating ... the damage IS minor, but I'm stuck paying for something I didn't do. Plus, as I noted before, this is the first time in 3 "hit and runs" that I've experienced where the person has actually left a note ... and I still feel like I'm getting the raw end of the deal. I don't want to play hardball, since it is minor damage, and, sure, I could let it go (i.e. NOT get my '87 MC LS fixed) ... but, I know the damage is there ... and it bugs the crap out of me.

Course, if we do "catch" this gal ... and she pays ... chances are, if she hits someone like that again, she won't leave a note....

Irony rocks.

"Surely this can be explained" ... Lonestar ... 'No News'

Hey bud, keep you chin up. Stuff in life happens like this alot and we just have to eat it. Here's another point of view you may have never thought of. She lives in the same world we do, with the same stupid, inconsiderate, and responsiblity-eluding people. If someone hits her crappy van, they probably will not leave a note either, and as the saying goes, "What comes around, goes around."

This happened to my brother's 79 Scirocco - guy backed into it as it was parked on the street - he was in a '74 lifted Blazer and managed to peel the fender and the hood clear back and then drive off. Turns out he parked his truck later that night in the driveway next door. Our paint matched the paint that was now on his bumper...so the police officer and us knocked on the door and when the still drunk kid next door opened the door and eye balled the officer, he yelled back into the house if anyone had ordered a taxi!! Did not impress the officer very much, and with the police report that was written by Mr. Happy officer, we had NO problems with his insurance agent.

After she hung up on the officer a few times, I am sure that he is more inclined to think bad things of her and her 'daddy'. Good luck!

Thanks....

Ya know ... the ironic thing is ... had this happened with, say, an '06-'07 Dodge Charger or the '79 Caprice I'm still thinking of getting for winter use ... I wouldn't have cared.

*shrugs*

Luckily, the '87 MC LS got fixed up well ... and they even washed it for me, too.

Sadly, looks like the gal is going to get away with what she did.

"What do you mean how could I do this to you?" ... Juice Newton ... 'Old Flame'

A 1979 Caprice is an excellent choice for winter use. Sorry you didnt get the lady that hit you. I hate when people slide through the system. Drives me nuts since it happened to me once. Be glad the '87 is fixed and back in the running.