Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

Rethinking the powerplant for Project Camino

23 posts in this topic

I've had my heart set on using a GMPP Ram Jet 350, but lately I've noticed that low-mile Vortec 8100 truck engines are pretty cheap for the HP and TQ they make.

:scratchchin:

Detuned 49hp Suzuki 1.0l I3 from a Metro XFi.

... agreed, only use four of them, joined at the crank... :scratchchin:

Laugh now, but you realize how much fuel you'd save with it? The truck would be so god-awfully slow, you'd never drive it.

I intend to cheat the next generation out of some of their fuel supply anyway. :AH-HA_wink:

The Camino will be a frame-off restification and a weekend fun car. No pic for this topic - I'm just thinking out loud.

The Camino will be a frame-off restification and a weekend fun car. No pic for this topic - I'm just thinking out loud.

What the heck is that "Camino" in your pic, an Aussie version or? I always see it and wonder.

I like the Camino/Ute stuff. North America doesn't seem to embrace it like down under..?

What the heck is that "Camino" in your pic, an Aussie version or? I always see it and wonder.

I like the Camino/Ute stuff. North America doesn't seem to embrace it like down under..?

It is our own Camino designed as part of the C&G Underground's Chevelle Project.

Detuned 49hp Suzuki 1.0l I3 from a Metro XFi.

Ahh chance for the golf carts to beat an internal combustion engine car.

I'd love that, but it's way too pricey.

That is a little bit pricey for a LS2. A brand new one can be about 7.5k

Camino, why don't fuel the engine with some alternative fuel, like vegetable oil or something?

Probably insanely expensive but... does a ZZ 572/720R engine from GM Performance Parts fit the engine bay? 720hp and 685lb.-ft. sound good to my ears! :yes:

Probably insanely expensive but... does a ZZ 572/720R engine from GM Performance Parts fit the engine bay? 720hp and 685lb.-ft. sound good to my ears! :yes:

It would fit in the engine bay with room to spare, my wallet is another matter entirely.

I'd love that, but it's way too pricey.

How 'bout this one ? It's in PA! They have a Corvette LT1 with 6-speed trans too...

I suppose an LT1 might be an easier conversion.

I'm going to give this some more thought.

Keep in mind swapping to a fuel injected engine is going to require a stand alone computer and a matching transmission. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I'm just saying there's more fun stuff on which to spend money.

That's the one part of the plan that will not change - I will have a fuel injected engine in this car.

if you time it right, you can get a t-56 for less than $1000. my bro did.

LT1, LS1, maybe the 5.3L, depending.

if you know someone that gets "car craft" they did a write up on getting a ~ 350-400 hp 6.0L truck engine from the "junkyard"

I think that this car will stay as an automatic, I'm not really up for converting it to a stick. I have a ton of work ahead of me and a conversion like that would complicate the project more than I want to.

You're right though, timing will be everything. If I find a deal on an acceptable engine/trans combo when I have the money ready, who knows what I'll end-up getting.

The fallback is the original plan of using a Ram Jet 350 from GMPP.

I think a 5.3L Small Block with AFM out of da Widebodies... er W-Bodies would be nice. Perhaps since you're RETHINKING... you should abandon Project Camino and restore a Saturn SC1? :P

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0