A lousy way to start your morning...

This morning started off as just about any other Sunday morning in my house. I slept in until about 11:15 AM, mom and my cousin were off at church, dad was busy out in the garage, my brother was in the kitchen eating breakfast. I did my usual morning tasks (eat, brush teeth, pop my contacts in), when I decided to play some Game & Watch on my Game Boy. I’m sitting on the couch in the living room, when my dad tells me he’s going up to Home Depot for some stuff to fix our chimney with. I see him standing outside, with the driver’s door to the Sonoma open, and it looks like he’s going through something. A minute later, he knocks on the front door (it was locked), and tells me that someone broke into the truck. Alarmed, I get up and go outside (still in my pajamas, into the lovely, brisk 54*/10 MPH winds) and brace myself for a mess of shattered glass that I’ll have to clean up and that dad will have to pay to replace. But there was no shattered glass; the outside of the truck wasn’t messed with in the least. Dad explained to me that the doors were unlocked through the night, a habit I’ve been trying to get him to break for the longest time. Upon inspecting the interior, the armrest console had been rifled through, and all of the pennies dad keeps in there were gone, plus the top-most bin. Similarly, the change holder at the base of the armrest was emptied. The contents of the console were scattered across the passenger seat, but nothing else was missing, which is strange, because the tools and battery charger that dad keeps in the back are so much more valuable than the maybe $2.15 that was stolen from the console. Needless to say, I made sure both cars are locked tonight, even over dad’s objections. He says if they really want to get in, locked doors won’t stop them. I told him that I agreed, but we’d hear any attempts to get inside the car with locked doors. Hopefully, this is an isolated incident, because every 4 years or so, there's a string of vehicle/property damage throughout the neighborhood. It would really suck if that's going to start up again.

A really petty theft, but I’m so very glad that nothing worse happened to the truck (like it being keyed, smashed windows, stolen, etc). It's a bit worrisome, though, when your car gets raided in your own driveway.

Definitely the work of a couple retarded kids just looking for money, not to do property damage or commit a huge theft; hence their only looking for an unlocked vehicle. This happened to me once, too, because I also leave my car unlocked. I walked out to my Riviera one morning to find the center console open and everything that was inside all over the passenger's seat. I think I ended up being out three dollars and change that I left in the cupholder as they did not take anything of value. My next door neighbor's truck was also a target that same night, and once again, they stole all his change and a couple ones but left alone a huge case of CDs, tools, and other valuables. This sort of thing happens in cycles in my neighborhood too.

About a week ago I caught someone testing my door handles to see whether the wagon was locked or not....and this happened at the local mall.

Usually If I'm going in for a few minutes, I might leave it unlocked. Not anymore.

The guy jumped into a Neon and drove away....I wanted to get the plate number, but it didn't have a plate.... :censored:

About a week ago I caught someone testing my door handles to see whether the wagon was locked or not....and this happened at the local mall.

Usually If I'm going in for a few minutes, I might leave it unlocked. Not anymore.

The guy jumped into a Neon and drove away....I wanted to get the plate number, but it didn't have a plate.... :censored:

That sucks, and it sounds VERY much like my father. At least they didn't damage anything or take much.

We live in a nice area on the bay, and about a mile off any main road, in a development. For years, my father would never, ever lock his car overnight, also saying "if they want it, they'll get it anyway" and also just that--somehow--it was too much of a hassle for him early in the morning, when it's often dark, to have to get his keys out an unlock the door.

OKAY. Well, then there was a story a year or two ago about some local cars and other things being broken into, and after I added the obligatory "SEE!" a few times, he's locked everything up ever since.

In a perfect world (which apparently he lives sometimes), "I shouldn't have to lock my doors", but that's just not the case.