GM @ South Florida Auto Show
SAAB 9-3 Convertible
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

SAAB 9-3 Sport Sedan
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out the new SAAB fascias front and rear. The ‘ice block’ taillamps actually look rather nice in person (especially in softer colors like the blue convertible), but the real coup de grace is the incorporation of the CTS’ light pipes as DRLs in the front headlamps. The manner in which it flows with the upper grille lines makes it, dare I say, a more cohesive execution that in the Cadillac. It really looks awesome in person.

This combined with the CTS and bejeweled headlamps of the Escalade Platinum makes a clear statement about how new headlamps technologies will be parlayed in the near future across all lines.

The car incorporates two of the design cues I hate most, the "eyebrow" light above the headlights and clear tails. One is an odd twist on design that has no real benefit to the appearance of the cars it has been used on (though this is the least offensive example I have seen to date) and the other just kooks like crap on every car that has ever been subjected to this played-out trend. Any designer who uses clear lenses should be drawn and quartered from now on.

Sorry for the rant, but these two details make me want to vomit wherever I see them.

As for the car itself, the front end looks pretty good. The rear however looks fat and droopy (note the rear shot of the blue vert).

I don't like clear tails when they're filled with flashy reflectors, chrome, and red bits (last-gen IS300, Fusion), but these "ice blocks" are very cool and seem appropriate for an icy cool Scandinavian brand. They go well with the frosted silver trim on the trunklid.

The Aero version is overpriced and underpowered, but the 2.0T looks like a reasonable balance between price, performance, economy, and style. The SportCombi configuration, in particular, offers something unique to the segment.

Anything from GM Europe has to be good, after all I work for them. :smilewide:

please send all complaints and suggestions about the Astra and Saabs to PCS …

The only one I can think of is the handling particularly of the higher-power versions, partly, but not entirely the result of pushing so much power through the front wheels. Ford has made greate strides, but Opel/Vauxhall are still way behind. I have no complaints about the last Corsa 1.4 (I like the way GM engines rev, and crawling up car park ramps in 2nd gear with no throttle), but it does tend to get disturbingly jittery near top speed on undulating road surfaces.

The car incorporates two of the design cues I hate most, the "eyebrow" light above the headlights and clear tails. One is an odd twist on design that has no real benefit to the appearance of the cars it has been used on (though this is the least offensive example I have seen to date) and the other just kooks like crap on every car that has ever been subjected to this played-out trend. Any designer who uses clear lenses should be drawn and quartered from now on.

Sorry for the rant, but these two details make me want to vomit wherever I see them.

As for the car itself, the front end looks pretty good. The rear however looks fat and droopy (note the rear shot of the blue vert).

It could be worse, have you seen the new Murano yet?

• 2 weeks later...

While nowhere near my fav car , Ive always had a soft spot for the 9-3 . The latest updates do nothing but compliment it further . I especially like the headlamps , Im a stickler for the higher tech lighting . The white pipe DRLs will look a bit menacing coming up the road :)

I would buy a Saab, especially now that they have an awd option. I've seen an 08 'vert on the roady already and the makeover made it look pretty nice looking to me. The only problem is for the longest time they haven't really had anything innovative to justify the prices they command for them. You can't rely on your name alone anymore just to sell cars.