"what's behind door number TWO?"

ocnblu

Well, it seems that someone really wants to get into my house. When I got home this afternoon, the other half of the same sliding door that got broken out before (it is still boarded up with half-inch plywood) was broken out. There is a screen there with a slash mark through it, and this time I guess, the screen slowed down the momentum of the blunt object because they were only able to break out the outer pane of a double pane window. I am so pissed. Somebody knew I wasn't home I guess, which makes me think it has to be somebody very local. I always park in the garage, so during the day it is hard to tell if I'm home... unless the person watched me leave this morning. There isn't much the officer could do except promise more patrols during the day.

Thanks once again, guys. I am off to Lowe's this morning to get another piece of plywood to screw into the wood frame, even though this time I still have one of two panes left intact. I'll prolly just leave the boards up until spring and then get the door fixed. I don't use that door down there this time of year anyway. Yes, it's a little bit redneck, but if the boards are up, that should discourage them.

Believe me, I was thinking about having someone come over and take the Taurus so I could sit here incognito and see if someone tries something. I also had the dog idea, another good one. I haven't handled a gun since I was a teenager, and I'd hate to (literally) shoot myself in the foot tryna catch some a-hole kid being a burglar.

I thought having no houses behind me was nice when I bought this place, and I still do, but it also makes things riskier, something I admit I never thought of before this. That lower door is kind of a prime entry for a potential burglar, because it is under cover of my second-floor deck. Breaking the upper floor sliding door would be much riskier for the burglars, it is up high, more visible, plus if they get caught they'd have to run the length of the house to get to the stairs, run down the stairs and get away... so I feel relatively safe that they won't try that.

That really sucks blu, dont know what to suggest. Cameras aren't a great deterrent, cause then you just have video of someone breaking into your house, unless you can id them, what help is it? Is your back yard fenced in? If it is, a dog would be great, if it isn't, the dog would have to be chained up, easy enough to get around. Take it from someone who knows, ADT isn't as great as people make it out to be. I had an ADT system installed after I bought the house (my parents owned it before me, they had ADT too for a short time, but had it disconnected years ago) and once when my garage door opener went kaput, I managed to break in through the back door without triggering the alarm.

"blu, I agree with those who believe you should get a new dog, preferrably something with good watchdog skills. Go to the AKC website to see which dog fits your size needs and is a good watchdog. My Newf Angus deters people from even walking up to me, but Newfs are generally too big for most people.

Most people are targets of stuff like this. I hope you get this resolved quickly.

Believe me, I was thinking about having someone come over and take the Taurus so I could sit here incognito and see if someone tries something. I also had the dog idea, another good one. I haven't handled a gun since I was a teenager, and I'd hate to (literally) shoot myself in the foot tryna catch some a-hole kid being a burglar.

I would not recommend having a gun ready. (I would recommend having one somewhere that you could get to it, but not immediately available) That's just too risky as that could go bad really fast. If you shoot someone, then depending on the laws in your area, you might get the worst end of things. Not to count, I don't really think someone deserves to be shot over breaking & entering, unless they're trying to shoot or kill you.

I thought having no houses behind me was nice when I bought this place, and I still do, but it also makes things riskier, something I admit I never thought of before this. That lower door is kind of a prime entry for a potential burglar, because it is under cover of my second-floor deck. Breaking the upper floor sliding door would be much riskier for the burglars, it is up high, more visible, plus if they get caught they'd have to run the length of the house to get to the stairs, run down the stairs and get away... so I feel relatively safe that they won't try that.

Maybe you could upgrade security.. My GF's grandma just has a big 'shatterproof' window put in with a sensor on it so that if it does get shattered an alarm goes off. Or you could just put a normal plain jane door in (If you're willing to make that compromise)

I also think a dog is a good idea. Even a smaller dog that sounds mean will suffice sometimes. We have a chow/sharpee mix... Very sweet dog and a lot smaller than my other 2 'bigger' dogs. But he's very energetic and is VERY intimidating when someone he doesn't know is around. He sounds the part and, despite being smaller, even looks like he'd tear someone apart when they come in.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

The owner before me had a security system installed by a local company because of a prowler that was breaking into houses in this area then (in 2002-early 2003, he was caught and arrested). Their sticker was on the glass that was broken out first. The system is not being monitored (that involves a monthly fee), but it is active within the house. I guess it didn't go off either time. To put up the first piece of plywood, I had to take the sensor off that sliding door, which would have gone off if the door had been opened, I guess.

The slash mark in the screen has mud on it and there are small spots of mud on the patio, which leads me to think it was a big rock or something to that effect that is being used. Seems so very crude.

Edited by ocnblu

Well 'blu, if things happen "in 3's", then thats #3. You're done now. So sorry about your troubles. :(

I really do believe that $h!ty things do happen in 3s. I really hope that this is the end of troubles for you Ocn. Having people mess with your stuff is a REAL pain.

If I were in your place, I would be getting a dog as well. You wouldn't even need anything real nasty, just a dog to scare the jerks off.

I would not recommend having a gun ready. (I would recommend having one somewhere that you could get to it, but not immediately available) That's just too risky as that could go bad really fast. If you shoot someone, then depending on the laws in your area, you might get the worst end of things. Not to count, I don't really think someone deserves to be shot over breaking & entering, unless they're trying to shoot or kill you.

Maybe you could upgrade security.. My GF's grandma just has a big 'shatterproof' window put in with a sensor on it so that if it does get shattered an alarm goes off. Or you could just put a normal plain jane door in (If you're willing to make that compromise)

I also think a dog is a good idea. Even a smaller dog that sounds mean will suffice sometimes. We have a chow/sharpee mix... Very sweet dog and a lot smaller than my other 2 'bigger' dogs. But he's very energetic and is VERY intimidating when someone he doesn't know is around. He sounds the part and, despite being smaller, even looks like he'd tear someone apart when they come in.

Plexi-glass works like a charm... with that installed they aren't breaking that unless they have two 250 pound hockey players crashing into it....