And I walked away....

Ever walk away from something (a car purchase, a relationship, whatever) ... only to wonder, later, why the heck you did? I think I have had ANOTHER one of those moments...maybe.

Yesterday (Saturday, Dec 22), I went to a dealership to look at a 2007 Dodge Charger ... inferno red with the DARK GRAY lower door interior panels, the exact color combo I want. The online price was just under $18K. After I looked at it, the guy ran some numbers for me and came up with just under $400/month payment (at the original asking price). I said no.

He came back with a sweeter deal ... ~$360/month. I still said no. He then came back with this: $1K off the internet price, 5.5% financing, ~$350/month ... for the '07 Dodge Charger, Inferno Red with DARK GRAY lower interior door panels and only just over 17K miles on it (thus, some factory warranty left). I still said no ... and I walked away.

But, why did I walk away? Maybe it had to do with the Charger's engine (2.7 V6). Or, perhaps my true self [the die-hard GM/Chevy guy, despite Chevrolet's insistance on insulting people, which continues today and started "way back when" with the Toyota Nova/Chevy Corolla of the 1980s] came roaring to life and wouldn't let me buy a Dodge. I don't know.

The dealership is closed on Monday and Tuesday, so I won't get a chance to go back until late next week ... and, it will probably be gone by then. Oh, well. I still have a 1986 El Camino with the 4.3 TBI that I've yet to see in person, as well as a couple others, including an '85 Chevette (gasp) and, tops on my list, a 1978 Caprice....

*sighs*

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree" ... Elvis Presley ... 'Blue Christmas'

i thought chargers only had the 3.5

new 07 chargers if any left can be had close to 20, yet 3 grand is 3 grand. CHrylser is so desperate right now they might be more in the ballpark then you imagine.

when i was sho shopping in the late 90's, i passed on a trade for like 12k to boot vs my tbird for a sho w 10k on it.

i passed and regretted it, i ended up trading for 16k (4k more) on one with 6k miles.

I don't know why I'm saying this-maybe you should give it a shot.

It's something you will enjoy,(even though it won't be fast), and it's a NEWER, dependable "beater" so you don't have to worry about sending your MCs out in bad weather, or worry about getting a new beater every year.....

And we aren't getting any younger either.... :yes:

And knowing those darn health issues...just having a safe (airbags and all) newer car makes sense....

Besides, you don't want a another with a big engine in it....that's what the MCs are for. :AH-HA_wink:

These are a few reasons I chose to make my new "beater" the Cobalt....

I don't know why I'm saying this-maybe you should give it a shot.

It's something you will enjoy,(even though it won't be fast), and it's a NEWER, dependable "beater" so you don't have to worry about sending your MCs out in bad weather, or worry about getting a new beater every year.....

And we aren't getting any younger either.... :yes:

And knowing those darn health issues...just having a safe (airbags and all) newer car makes sense....

Besides, you don't want a another with a big engine in it....that's what the MCs are for. :AH-HA_wink:

These are a few reasons I chose to make my new "beater" the Cobalt....

Lifetime Powertrain warrenty is nice plus too.

Not necessarily car-related, but when I got home from the Homecoming dance back in September, I definitely knew this feeling very well.

However, since this had the 2.7L V6, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over walking away from it.

Edited by DetroitNut90

edit: and don't you have enough cars already? Did I miss something? Why are you shopping?

LOL! Yes, I've been shopping around since mid-summer ... trying to find a car for "winter use" ... so I can keep the '87 MC LS out of the winter weather.

I've been looking at used '07 Chargers ... which then would be the road trip car, too.

I've also looked for older Caprices ('77-'79) as well as other older Chevys.

The remorse you would have felt if had bought the car, and not been 100% into the purchase, would be much worse than what you're feeling right now.

Yes, absolutely correct.

Thing is ... I like the Charger, so I don't think I'd regret owning one....

"Nothing can take the place of being there" ... Marvin Gaye ... 'Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing'

Would you really be comfortable with a Chrysler product? Not I. I have passed up some good deals too because I either didnt have the space or need. Could have gotten a 1985 Olds Delta 88 a few years ago with only 29,000 miles. For a good price. I am at the point with the 2 old ones where I will just keep them rather than trade and not know what they need. I know what the Bonneville and Caprice need. And for my new one I guess I am one of those that doesnt mind FWD or AWD for my daily driver. I am thinking what to do when the Equinox lease expires in March 2009. I could lease another, but I may be looking to cut back a bit on expenses. So I may look at other options. I actually do like my my moms Aveo a lot better than I thought I would. It worked pretty well in the najor storm I drove it through. But it doesnt have very much under the hood and the drivers armrests were not designed for road tripping. I may look at the new Malibu either to purchase or lease. It looks promising. Or maybe purchasing a 2 year old Impala may be a good choice since I liked my Mom and Dads 2002. And by then I could get a 2006 or 2007 which is much improved. But I would never touch a Chrysler product. I think I would look at a Ford before a Chrysler product. And I would never look at an import. I guess I learned something from my dad.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

Well, I don't really care about big engines, since the price of the gas right now is like...... Though it's nice to have a big, roaring muscle under your hood, part of the reason the V8 GXP of Grand Prix is out of my reach, that costs a lot more as well. I like the V6 version anyway, and it's cheaper so that is the one I am getting, I like the size, the style and everything that is far superior than that stupid looking Aussie made G8 they replacing with next year.

As for the Charger, I also thought it only had over 3 litre engine, since I always thought Charger means muscle, nothing else. I didn't even know if it had 2.7 even on the 07 model, but I think, if you like the car and can get it cheap, I'd say go for it. I mean, if you are really in the market for a new car that you must HAVE to have it. What am I saying? :P

I was so set on Grand Prix, so I didn't even care about other brands, but I can say this one thing. To avoid Ford dealers at all costs. About all the Ford dealers I went to just to look around, the salespeople there are just plain suckers. I know I am being biased and I know not ALL of them will be like that, but most of the Ford Dealers I went to in Northern New Jersey, the Salespeople trys to trick you(and you can tell right off the bat) to buy a car that you are not really interested in, and tries to make you jump in to deal by kinda pressuring you in a way. I don't know how to say it, but it isn't really the kind of experience you liked to be in. Sure few of the Pontiac Dealers were like that, tried to suck you in, but Ford dealers were the worst for me. Don't know about Dodge, since only Chrysler division dealers we(me and my buddy) went to, to look around was a Jeep.

Just out of curiosity. I've seen from a lot of magazines and stuff, that you should focus more on the price of the car rather than thinking about monthly payment first. Since the Dealers can easily manipulate the numbers and secretly raise the price of the car and modify some numbers so that it looks like you are getting a great deal. Is that true? I am also in the market for a new car so I need as much help and tips as possible.

The Chargers are really the great looking cars and I esp. love the size, but so far, nothing comes close to my liking than the last breed of Grand Prix.

Winter beater = shopping used

i know of an early 80's Cutlass that the driver is just dying to get rid of...... only minor repair work needed. :AH-HA_wink:

*chuckles*

I've thought of that particular Cutlass a time or two, actually ;).

And, yes, "winter beater" does mean shopping used. But, if I get a newer car (i.e. a Charger), it would double as winter beater and road trip warrior....

*sighs*

I'm just frustrated that Che@#$%let doesn't have anything newer I want right now.....

I wanted that 70s Caprice, but it has been sold. I've been told to actually look for '89 or '90 Caprice with the police packages...haven't found anything that tickles my fancy yet.

And, no, no such thing as "enough cars" ;).

"You can say there's no such thing as Santa" ... Elmo'N'Patsy ... 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'

You are right about that Knightfan. People keep trying to get me to get rid of the Bonneville now that I have the Caprice. But I dont want to do that right now. I would like to try and keep it if possible. It doesnt need much. Mainly cosmetics and fixing the couple of water leaks it has. Yes I have 3 vehicles. The Equinox is good for the winter though so I can keep the other 2 in good shape. Finally did get the Bonneville cleaned up after having to use it in the first snowstorm. Again MERRY CHRISTMAS to each and every one of you.

You are right about that Knightfan. People keep trying to get me to get rid of the Bonneville now that I have the Caprice. But I dont want to do that right now. I would like to try and keep it if possible. It doesnt need much. Mainly cosmetics and fixing the couple of water leaks it has. Yes I have 3 vehicles. The Equinox is good for the winter though so I can keep the other 2 in good shape. Finally did get the Bonneville cleaned up after having to use it in the first snowstorm. Again MERRY CHRISTMAS to each and every one of you.

True..

I was debating that with the wife's Cavalier.

It's paid off (as of this month), and has been a good car. But with a little one on the way, I've started to think about a small SUV..

But I decided that the Cav was more than up to task, and I'd rather save the money for right now.....

Somtimes it's good to keep what you got. :thumbsup:

*nods*

Agreed. And, I will be keeping the '87 MC LS ... it (and the rest of the family) is NOT going anywhere, to my current knowledge, anyway. But, as reliable as it has been, I'm finding it somewhat difficult to "trust" another older car ... you just never know ;).

"I shiver when I see the falling snow" ... Merle Haggard ... 'If We Make It Through December'

Thats why I dont like now to trust an older one as a daily driver in the winter months here. Sundays storm we got proved that to me. I was glad to have the Equinox that day. Moms Aveo would have been the 2nd choice to deal with that. And as for thr Charger, I just have trouble trusting Chryslers quality after a few peoples issues with them. Especially the 2.7 liter engine. And when you buy someone elses older car for winter you are taking a huge gamble that they took care of it and that it will work in severe conditions. The best of luck to you Cort in whatever you decide. I know you will do it the smart way.

Been there done that. Though not with a car I didn't want 100%. Buying a brand that you "kinda" like isn't a smart move because you will just want to get rid of it shortly after.

Exactly. Besides, the Charger needs more rear seat headroom.

FWIW, I also agree on the v-6=dog sentiment. What you need my friend is a HEMI...

Chris

True..

I was debating that with the wife's Cavalier.

It's paid off (as of this month), and has been a good car. But with a little one on the way, I've started to think about a small SUV..

But I decided that the Cav was more than up to task, and I'd rather save the money for right now.....

With gas going to $4.00 plus per gallon in the next few years, you'll be glad you kept the Cavalier...

Thats why I dont like now to trust an older one as a daily driver in the winter months here.

And when you buy someone elses older car for winter you are taking a huge gamble that they took care of it and that it will work in severe conditions.

Oh?

My '87 MC LS has NOT yet let me down, failed to start, gone off the roadway ... at all, EVEN in the coldest and worst winter weather conditions. My former '00 Ch#$r%*et Lumina LS coupe canNOT claim the same thing.

Course, who says I'd be lucky a 2nd time around? ;) he he

"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower" ... Counting Crows ... 'A Long December'

True that. Had a 1979 Impala that was like your '87. It never failed to work no matter what. I did get lucky though. The Bonneville was more problematic but I found the carburetor was the cause. Once I got that taken care of it worked a lot better. I wonder though why the steering on that car gets so stiff when it gets cold? None of the other B-bodies including the Caprice do that.