" Saturn's Rust-Proof Brand"

By Diego Rodriguez

Saturn's Rust-Proof Brand
Even in lean years, the carmaker kept its fan base through sterling customer service. Every company should draw from its example

My next car is going to be a Saturn. Let me clarify: my next sports car will be a Saturn Sky. Not a Lotus, Porsche, BMW, or Ferrari. O.K., I would take the Ferrari if offered, but I would buy a Saturn. Yes, this unabashed car guy has decided to go with the brand known for body panel gaps the size of the Black Canyon and wheezy motors that are more Cheney than Armstrong.

Why? Two reasons: First, built off the same platform as the new Pontiac Solstice, the Sky promises to be one tasty automobile, coupling a crisp origami design aesthetic with a really sweet mechanical package. Second, unlike those time-honored European sports-car marques, Saturn will deliver an ownership experience that goes far beyond the car itself. In other words, it's the Saturn brand I want to bring into my life, and the car is but one aspect of what I'm buying.

More at the link: http://yahoo.businessweek.com/innovate/con...1021_798771.htm

Great article. Yes Saturn's future is looking brighter by the month... Sky - it will draw people into the dealerships. It is great looking and will draw out the more sophisticated customer's that may be turned off by the Pontiac brand and wouldn't be seen in a Soltice. (for the record - I like both) Aura - if delivered at the right price and on time - this should sell well. Offering the 3.6L and six speed auto will set it as high tech and cutting edge. The car mags will like the technology and styling and GM may finally have a sedan that will favorable compare to the CamCord in comparison tests. For the GM loyalists - this is tons better than the L300 and should do much better. Outlook - All indications are that this will be a hit. The spy photographs show promise. If GM delivers on packaging and fuel economy then this will do well against the likes of the Pilot and Hylander. I for one have this on my short list as the next family car. ION - the redesign looks sharp - maybe GM can pull this ahead like they did with their full-size SUVs to get the old one out the door quicker. The current ION will be a dud on the show room floor next to the SKY and Aura. Vue - the recent update is ok. The interior is much better - the best of the Theta crossovers. I hope the replacement is class leading. All in all, I think Saturn is on track to be the next big thing from GM. Now how about some more info on the Aura and Outlook. These are more important to Saturn's future than the Sky. Pics anyone?

WONDERFUL. I was so pleased when I read that article. Yes, Saturn has had lackluster product and craptacular sales in the past several years, but if people know them for that type of company that they are, then when they finally do get the product right (Aura, Sky), people will FLY to Saturn.

DIRECT ACTION.  When the Saturn representative pointed this out to the upset father, he said "You're the company that cares about people, and that's why I called you." What would your company do? Saturn sent out a truck to pick her up, towed her Honda, and let her father know that she was safe.

Think about it: competitive brand, no warranty card, absolutely no reason to help. Except that there's no substitute for this kind of concrete action when it comes to creating a brand with real meaning. After hearing this anecdote, it's pretty clear what Saturn stands for.

[sarcasm]
And how did the family repay Saturn for it's kindness??? "Why, by buying another Honda of course!!!! The first one leaving me stranded was just a fluke...right? And, we'll leave those stodgy Saturns for others to buy, not style concious me."
[/sarcasm]

Consider, for example, how the three great new automotive brands of the post WWII era -- Ferrari, Porsche, and Honda

The?? (LOL) The three!!! (LOL louder) The three great what!?!? LMAO!!!!!! http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rotflmao.gif

relative to the bubbly champagne-Jacuzzi sensation one gets piloting a Honda.

A.K.A. The wretched, gut twisting, New York hot dog stand inducing vomit reflex when one looks at that new Honda.

**Just having some fun** Over all a good read though.

...And Pontiac as well as Buick will be on their way to death. :word:

[post="32769"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not really. As said, it's all about product. And GM has not stepped up to offer enough desirable product, or they'd be selling more. It's easy to predict Saturn will come back hard in the next few years... all they're cars will be phenomenal. Buick and Pontiac needs the same thing. To seperate themselves from other divisions, Pontiac should offer a manual in every vehicle; and definitely offer alot more RWD products. Buick should be true lux, with the upgrade engine range we've all discussed a million times, and design elements true to Buick (like the portholes) throught it's entire range. Give them RWD cars, and we'll see some Lexus competition then. So, it's not that Saturn is getting the light at the expense of the other divisons in as much as the other divisons are starved for the product they need and deserve.

What Pontiac needs... and what it actually has... are quite different. And who really knows what GM has planned for it as I have heard nothing about Pontiac's future beyond the GTO and G8. I actually don't know if we'll even get those with all this confusing Zeta talk. I would greatly appreciate it if Insiders would fill me in as I am really starting to get frustrated.

Saturn has been known for it's dent resistant panals, no dicker price, good customer service, huge panals gaps and noisy 4 bangers. Now if they can produce solid products that are a cut above competitors and deliver that same customer satisfaction and buying experience I would actually consider one. Throw in a better warrenty and I would be sold.

• 4 weeks later...

The huge panel gaps goes part-and-pacel with the polymer panels as the gaps allow the plastic to expand and contract. I don't think gaps would've been such a big issue if Saturn made more of an effort to make people aware of this trait.

[post="33324"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'll take a dent free body for the life of the car over smaller panels gaps and inevitable dings and dents any day!

• 1 month later...
I think that I have had the weirdest Saturn Dealer expierience ever...July, 1998 I bought a SL1. When we went to pick up the car, it was under a cover, a lady in a fancy dress was standing next to it! Our dealer, Kevin told the lady to take the cover off..and there was the car. We got inside the car and there were greeting cards, mints, and baloons everywhere! Another reason to love Saturn :)