Ed Welburn says Camaro interior to be better than concept's

BB_454

I hope its true. I'm not exactly diggin the spy photos so far. But here's to wishful thinking! There are also some new* spy photos for anyone who may be interested.

-Mike

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/10/video-e...r-than-concept/

During an interview at the recent Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, GM VP of Global Design Ed Welburn claims the the production 2009 Chevy Camaro will feature an interior that's even better than the one featured in the Camaro concept. The interviewer gets Welburn talking about the interior by mentioning the gamut of spy shots taken that show the interior of a Camaro mule. Welburn claims those interiors are just thrown together with tape and gauges and don't represent the production interior at all. Well, we've all the seen the interior spy shots, and they show a dash design that looks much farther along than what Welburn suggests. The latest interior spy shots show a dash, center console, gauges and steering wheel that all appear to be unique elements destined for the production Camaro, not items pilfered from the corporate parts bin just to get the car running. Unfortunately, whether or not the spy shots do reveal the production interior can't be answered until we see the final product at a future auto show, but Mr. Welburn seems to claim that the 2009 Chevy Camaro will still be packing a surprise or two when it finally does arrive.

Check out both interviews given by Ed Welburn at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance after the jump.

Good to hear they are "working" on the interior. Based on what has been seen, I am not a fan of it. And likely would prevent me from buying. I love the exterior, but the concept interior is just not my style. I do hope they work it and it comes out OK. Otherwise, I'll be reevaluating what I will be buying next year.

the interior would in no way prevent me from rocking this car.... right now im staring at a steel dash with a rubber dash pad, and a sea of vinyl and plastic.... My tach, voltometer, temp and oil pressure gauges are under the dash, so no prob either.. so i guess anythings a step up.... but i guess i dont give a rat's ass on the interior of a car as long as the seats are comfortable when the V8 whips back into it....

gauges waaay down there = bad idea. I don't care if it's retro, we have since learned that it's better to keep our eyes on or near the road, not looking at the passenger's shoes.

It's no different from shifting your glance to the CD player and back. Besides, the console gauges are not gauges that need to be "studied" They have a specific point at which they read and should be easy to glance at.

Trust me, I'm speaking from experience :)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

An occasional glance while sitting in a stoplight is all that's necessary for that info. I would just be glad to have it available. On most cars you have to either cycle through the DIC for that info or wait for a light on your instrument cluster.

the interior would in no way prevent me from rocking this car.... right now im staring at a steel dash with a rubber dash pad, and a sea of vinyl and plastic.... My tach, voltometer, temp and oil pressure gauges are under the dash, so no prob either.. so i guess anythings a step up.... but i guess i dont give a rat's ass on the interior of a car as long as the seats are comfortable when the V8 whips back into it....

Ummm, no, the tach is not under the dash, the tach is up top next to the speedometer. And the DIC is in between the tach and speedo.

Clyde

Ummm, no, the tach is not under the dash, the tach is up top next to the speedometer. And the DIC is in between the tach and speedo.

Clyde

i was explaining my interior... and how its so spartan, that this would be a step up....

to get some conquest sales from other brands, i guess a good interior is needed.. but look at the following of the fourth gen Fbodies... and those interiors..

i was explaining my interior... and how its so spartan, that this would be a step up....

to get some conquest sales from other brands, i guess a good interior is needed.. but look at the following of the fourth gen Fbodies... and those interiors..

Talking about conquest sales... A Prius driving prof. at my university commented a couple weeks ago that he had a dilema. Either he could convert his Prius to a plug-in and install solar panels on his house, or he could get a new Camaro! :)