Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

VW Rabbit gets a carrot from Consumer Reports

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/11/vw-rabb...ports/#comments

If Consumer Reports is right, Volkswagen is well on its way to attaining its dream of outselling Toyota by 2015. In the magazine's June 2008 issue, CR threw a handful of hatchbacks into the ring and the VW Rabbit hopped out the winner. The magazine cited the Rabbit's "very well finished" interior for its class, agility, braking and transmission as reasons to choose it over a growing field of small hatchbacks. CR also expects the Rabbit to have an "above average" reliability record.

The biggest negative the staff found in the VW was "mediocre" fuel economy for a car its size, though many SUV drivers looking to downsize will love seeing its 24 mpg figure. Staffers also complained about the large C-pillars blocking their view and engine lag after stops.

Consumer Reports has routinely praised the Mazda3 as one of its favorite hatches, but in overall scoring, the car now comes in third, slightly behind the Toyota Prius Touring. Rounding out the top five are the Subaru Impreza Outback Sport and the newly redesigned Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe twins. At the bottom of the list are the Dodge Caliber and the Chevrolet HHR.

Nice affirmation that my gamble paid off...I own a Rabbit with 25k.

Shopping around, I could not find a better value. Relative to is class the Rabbit has great interior quality (for those of you who know I'm quite a critic), fantastic handling, good acceleration off the line and in traffic, and more interior space than you'd think. And I'll tell you, this is one fun car to drive...the DSG (dual-clutch 6-spd manumatic) is worth the extra dough.

Gas mileage does suck, however. Keep in mind, it's a 5-cylinder and it's a German...meaning it's overweight with redundant engineering and sound deadening materials. I also tend to floor it every now and then, which can't help.

As for reliability, problems have been minimal: iPod adapter and a rattle in the interior air diffuser (which went away a few months after ownership). I will say that the rear brakes are pesky, as both myself and most owners will likely have to get new rear pads at about 25-30k miles. Luckily, I know a guy, but can't say the same for my peers.

It's been a great purchase and I love driving it - I hope it holds up!

DSG isn't available on the Golf/Rabbit or regular (2.5L) Jettas. The GTI and GLI models have it available in lieu of their standard manual transmissions AND it's available with the TDI engines. So far, the 5-cylinder does not have it as an option. My Golf (Rabbit) is a 2008 and I have the manual, but the automatic transmission was the conventional 6-speed torque-converter Tiptronic transmission.

Amazing that the Golf got top praise from Consumer Reports even though I don't care what they say.

As far as the issue of fuel efficiency is concerned, once Volkswagen gets the urea injection diesels, that'll show the Prius how to get the best fuel efficiency the best and simplest manner possible.

DSG isn't available on the Golf/Rabbit or regular (2.5L) Jettas. The GTI and GLI models have it available in lieu of their standard manual transmissions AND it's available with the TDI engines. So far, the 5-cylinder does not have it as an option. My Golf (Rabbit) is a 2008 and I have the manual, but the automatic transmission was the conventional 6-speed torque-converter Tiptronic transmission.

Amazing that the Golf got top praise from Consumer Reports even though I don't care what they say.

As far as the issue of fuel efficiency is concerned, once Volkswagen gets the urea injection diesels, that'll show the Prius how to get the best fuel efficiency the best and simplest manner possible.

I'd seriously consider a diesel Rabbit as a commuter car.... an Audi A3 w/ a diesel would be perfect!

Ahhhh... the title of the thread. I get it now.

O.B. was being funny/cryptic. :lol:

Whoops, thanks for the correction guys. A friend of mine convinced me that I had it, and I could have cared less...either way, shifts really well for an automatic! Now I won't sound like an idiot at the repair shop...

Whoops, thanks for the correction guys. A friend of mine convinced me that I had it, and I could have cared less...either way, shifts really well for an automatic! Now I won't sound like an idiot at the repair shop...

My buddy has the same combo.....says he's averaging about 26-27mpg (which I was pleasantly surprised by....) I don't figure that's too bad for a auto attached to a big 2.5L engine with 170hp.....

the big question is how pathetic is it that vw cannot design and build a proper NA 4 cylinder about 2-2.2 litres, 150-160 hp and 30 mpg? oh and yeah reliable

They did....it was called the 1.8T....and had 150hp.

Why they abandoned that variant as a less-expensive alternative to the new 2.0T, I'll never know.....

VW should offer their 1.4 TSI engines on the Rabbit, particularly the 122 PS version with a seven-speed dry DSG. The more powerful 140 PS and 170 PS ones come with a supercharger in addition to a turbocharger, but fuel consumption isn't much better than with the full-fat 2.0T.

Why they abandoned that variant as a less-expensive alternative to the new 2.0T, I'll never know.....

Audi introduced a new 1.8T on their TT designed especially for fuel economy. That would make a great base engine for an American VW midsize sedan. The current base four-cylinder in the Passat is too powerful and expensive.

IIRC, the 1.8T is an older design unrelated to the 2.0T. I believe there are issues with emissions that would make fitting it into US product a problem.

Why not just a 2.0 4cyl., without the T?

I didn't know the DSG was available on the Rabbit. I wonder what the GTI would get in comparison in fuel economy.

GTI does better...I've talked to several owners, and Grasroots motorsports also did a comparo when the two cars came out.

I'd be all over a GTI...or a Rabbit. they are both great cars.

A diesel Rabbit, that would just be the cat's ass...

Chris

IIRC, the 1.8T is an older design unrelated to the 2.0T. I believe there are issues with emissions that would make fitting it into US product a problem.

Why not just a 2.0 4cyl., without the T?

I swear somewhere in Road and Track (one of the mags anyway) I read that the 2.0T was a development of the old 1.8T.

They both feature a cast iron block (though so does the 2.5L I-5 in the Mk. V's) but with the addition of direct fuel injection, they had to delete one of the extra valves present in the 1.8T engine (which is still sold in Europe by the way).

Volkswagen did have an FSI 2.0L four without the turbocharger in Europe, and I believe it's rated at around 140 hp or something. but I don't know if it is still available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just had to share that I averaged nearly 31 miles per gallon with my last tank of fuel in my Volkswagen. That's the best yet.

30.5 MPG!

I swear somewhere in Road and Track (one of the mags anyway) I read that the 2.0T was a development of the old 1.8T.

They both feature a cast iron block (though so does the 2.5L I-5 in the Mk. V's) but with the addition of direct fuel injection, they had to delete one of the extra valves present in the 1.8T engine (which is still sold in Europe by the way).

Volkswagen did have an FSI 2.0L four without the turbocharger in Europe, and I believe it's rated at around 140 hp or something. but I don't know if it is still available.

You may be right, but I seem to remember an issue with TT availability because of the switch to the 2.0T at some point...I thought it was an emissions compliance issue.

Hey, I just had to share that I averaged nearly 31 miles per gallon with my last tank of fuel in my Volkswagen. That's the best yet.

30.5 MPG!

myer, that is great news because it seriously makes me consider it as my next car. i couldnt justify a small car for me if it only got 25. if i can get a fun small car with 30 mpg, i might just do it and the rabbit, i really like.