GM Books

Lately i've rediscovered the joys of the library, and naturally the GM related books spark my interest... on recommendation from a friend, i took out SLOAN RULES, a biography of the wonderful ALFRED P SLOAN, and discusses how much of a business genius he was, and his transformation of Billy Durants shaky holding company into one of the quintessetial American companies....

The second book, which i just finished, is called THE CAR THAT COULD... now this book is written more like a novel then the nonfiction it is. It documents the EV1 program from its beginnings with Roger Smith's plan for the future to the release a few years later... the book is filled with twists and turns and shows every road block along the way, and how the engineers created a ground up car with new technology faster then a conventional car came to market. Whats more eye opening, is how much consideration and development went to Electric vehicles by all automakers in the 90s, until the mandate that required them was overturned.... reading the book was bittersweet though, since it was written and published immediatley after the EV1 started production, it invokes so much hope for the program while looking back, it didnt get what it deserved...

Anybody read either book? or have any GM related books i might be able to find at the library tomorrow? this reading thing aint so bad!

I read a lot, especially anything about GM in book form. I would recommend the following books.

A History of General Motors - by Timothy Jacobs

Pontiac They Built Excitement - by Thomas E. Bonsall

For those of you that love trains, yes youngsters, GM made locomotives too! :smilewide:

Our GM Scrapbook - by Kalmbach Publishing Company

• 2 weeks later...

OK, anyone know the title of a book about how the auto companies suppressed mass transit here in Detroit. I saw one on the discount rack at a book store a long time ago and didnt buy it, but meant to read it.

Does anyone know the progress on that GM Styling book that Mightymouse posted about a few months ago? I plunked down a deposit on it and haven't heard a word since.

Oooof. Just learned today there has been a snag in the approval process prior to publishing....

The rumor is, SoMeOne hated the format (last minute) and it is being reworked before publishing-

It could be November b4 we see it....sorry.

Edited by mightymouse

You don't need to crack open an auto-biographical book to know about what a douchebag Roger Smith was. :P

oh thanks god its not an autobiography, the man wqas so full of himself it was astonishing.. its written by one of his speechwriters, and published while smith was still in charge....

oh thanks god its not an autobiography, the man wqas so full of himself it was astonishing.. its written by one of his speechwriters, and published while smith was still in charge....

Smith was definitely a man who never forgot to put on his self-prescribed rose-colored glasses every morning when he woke up.

Collision Course

Inside the Battle for General Motors

By Micheline Maynard

Rude awakening : the rise, fall, and struggle for recovery of General Motors

by Maryann Keller

I just finished Rude Awakening the other day and enjoyed it. It was interesting to read about NUMMI and the beginning of Saturn. (The book was published in 1990 I believe) The book really helps you understand why GM has been on such a downward spiral for all these years. A lot of the things that were going on in the 80's that the book mentioned still seem to be true today which is pretty sad.

Collision Course just came in the mail the other day so I'll be starting that in the next few days.

I bought the Mary Ann Keller book a year or two ago. I threw it out before I got more than 30 or so pages into it. <_< I don't even remember why now, just that it was crap.

I wish I had more time to read. I used to read at least one book a week. I have a copy of America Alone, by Mark Steyn. It's too scary. I'm about half way through it.