Thinking About Buying A GTO

Well I was thinking about trading my 2005 Silverado in on a new Pontiac GTO. Probably won't happen but ive been thinking about it. Anyway I need some help with info on the GTO. If I get one it would be a 6 speed manual. Anyone have any idea how strong the clutches and rear ends are in these cars. I wouldn't rip the car around alot maybe once in a while. I just want to know if one of these cars are pretty reliable?

I'd love to get a used GTO!!!

$15,000 for a '70 GTO with the Judge decals & wing? :wub:

http://nh.craigslist.org/car/698640082.html

01150901040301030020080yv5.jpg

I haven't had any problems with mine other than it needing spark plugs when I got it at 6k miles. It's only at 15k now though.

REALLY? Why?

Otherwise, I too have heard very good things about them. It's a time proven car, for sure, for many years in other parts of the world in various forms, especially in Aussie.

REALLY? Why?

Otherwise, I too have heard very good things about them. It's a time proven car, for sure, for many years in other parts of the world in various forms, especially in Aussie.

I'm not sure. It had been sitting on the lot for a while (I think we got it for like $4k less than what the sticker was -- they wanted to get rid of it badly) and when we went to pick it up the check engine light came on, so they took it to the shop and said it needed new spark plugs. I'm guessing it had to be something to do with sitting so long, perhaps they got dirty or something? Either way, I haven't had any problems sense, nothing but oil changes and tire rotations. I had to jump it once because it had sat for a long time and the battery was dead (usually it sits in the garage unless the weather is nice and my dad wants to drive it, or in the summer when I drive it), but that's all.

You mean a used GTO?

Yes a Used GTO but a new body style. Im seriously thinking about buying one, but I don't know if I can stand to get rid of my truck. I might just wait a few years until its paid off and try to find a nice GTO then.

Edited by Daryl 83

04-06 GTO's have pretty good drivetrains. The transmission is a T56 so that's good and the differential is a Dana unit so it's pretty stout. You're biggest issue to overcome is that the widest rear tires you can fit are 275 series without some customization. Recommend you pick up an 05 or 06, cars that came with the LS2.

Yea The T56 is the same 6 speed tranny that came in Camaros right? Sounds like it would be a good car Ive head alot of good things about Dana rear ends, and I know that the LS series engines are stout. I didn't know they put LS2's in them I thought they were all just LS1's

Edited by Daryl 83

The weakest part of the drivetrain is the driveshaft. It is a 2 piece driveshaft, and can only handle slightly over 400hp. If you plan on modding the car at all, you should plan on getting a one piece driveshaft. If you keep the car stock, it will hold up fine.

I'm considering selling mine, since I have driven it only about twice in the past 3 months due to gas mileage, and I'm still making payments on it. It still gets about 18-20 mpg, but that's quite a bit less than my Passat which gets around 28mpg.

Were I you, I would instead spend a similar amount on a nice 1964-1970 GTO whose value can only go up as you enjoy it.

That being said, the new GTO is certainly nothing to scoff at, and if that's what you want, then go for it. It's one of the few vehicles in recent memory I wholeheartedly support.

Like Camino said, if you can live without the utility of your truck, then do it.

You only live once, dude! :thumbsup:

i've heard GTO's go through tires. not because of burnouts, just the way the suspension is set up.

I still have most of the tread on my second (snows) and third (upsized 18's) set of tires, at 36K miles. My original BFG's lasted 24k.

That being said, most people I hear of who need to replace tires early is because alot of it wound up on the fender liner.

And FWIW - a LS1 w/ mods would be around the same price (or cheaper) as an LS2 model. It's all in what you're looking for, but I wouldn't rule out the LS1's automatically (and besides, the LS1 is only a cam and heads away from the 400hp LS6).

Edited by traumadog

I still have most of the tread on my second (snows) and third (upsized 18's) set of tires, at 36K miles. My original BFG's lasted 24k.

That being said, most people I hear of who need to replace tires early is because alot of it wound up on the fender liner.

And FWIW - a LS1 w/ mods would be around the same price (or cheaper) as an LS2 model. It's all in what you're looking for, but I wouldn't rule out the LS1's automatically (and besides, the LS1 is only a cam and heads away from the 400hp LS6).

Agreed.

But, with some GTOs, there was a rubbing issue due to suspension settings that would gouge the sidewalls on the inside of the front tires. I never had that problem with mine.