Variance

Motor Trend 2006 Sport/Utility of the Year

40 posts in this topic

Nissan did a great job in the current generation of Frontier-based vehicles. Perhaps the H3 would have been a contender if it had a better engine. That's one area in which the Nissan shines.

Damn media, the Torrent so deserved to win. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I liked the original Xterra, no reason for me to dislike this one. Edited by Satty

Just glad it wasn't that hideous hybrid Lexus.. But, of course, it is an asian winner... A sign of the tides changing, soon they will endorse asian trucks over American trucks just like they do with cars, it's already beginning.

Or it could just be that the American entries were badge jobs, ripoffs of Volkswagens or sorely underpowered.

Anyone seen the way Nissan arranged the rear badging on the xTerra? Looks like crap.

Anyone seen the way Nissan arranged the rear badging on the xTerra? Looks like crap.

[post="34294"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yea, they don't deserve the award due to substandard rear badging. Seriously, MT needs to judge these things on the merits of the vehicles :rolleyes:

Yea, they don't deserve the award due to substandard rear badging.  Seriously, MT needs to judge these things on the merits of the vehicles  :rolleyes:

[post="34299"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dude, for real, did I say it didn't deserve to win?

Noooo!!!! The rebadged, underpowered, underperforming, totally not a true Pontiac, yet good-looking Torrent didn't win!?!?!?!?!? Nooooo!!!! :lol: :P I have no idea what the Xterra had for competition, but it probably deserves this.

From the article, these were the nominees: Ford Explorer, Hummer H3, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Commander, Kia Sportage, Mercedes-Benz ML, Mercury Mountaineer, Pontiac Torrent, Range Rover Sport, Subaru Tribeca, and the Suzuki Grand Vitara. I actually like the Torrent, but it doesn't improve on anything to last year's Equinox. Besides the Xterra and H3, I don't thnk any of the other vehicles really adds much to the segment.

Just glad it wasn't that hideous hybrid Lexus..

But, of course, it is an asian winner... A sign of the tides changing, soon they will endorse asian trucks over American trucks just like they do with cars, it's already beginning.

[post="34290"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nah FOG, GM just didn't have anything good this year...

I'll be willing to wager that one of Gm's New SUVs next year will win though...

Tahoe, anyone? B)

From the article, these were the nominees:  Ford Explorer, Hummer H3, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Commander, Kia Sportage, Mercedes-Benz ML, Mercury Mountaineer, Pontiac Torrent, Range Rover Sport, Subaru Tribeca, and the Suzuki Grand Vitara.

[post="34342"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I am surprised that the Range Rover Sport did not win or that it lost to an X-Terra.

From the article, these were the nominees:  Ford Explorer, Hummer H3, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Commander, Kia Sportage, Mercedes-Benz ML, Mercury Mountaineer, Pontiac Torrent, Range Rover Sport, Subaru Tribeca, and the Suzuki Grand Vitara.

I actually like the Torrent, but it doesn't improve on anything to last year's Equinox.  Besides the Xterra and H3, I don't thnk any of the other vehicles really adds much to the segment.

[post="34342"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Judging by those alone, the Xterra should have won.

The Commander is not bad, the Range rover is cool, and the rest were just pretty
useless... :P

BS! The H3 Or Explorer DESERVED to win it. The Xterra is ugly.

BS!

[post="34352"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Explorer? Ha! I don't think enough ws done to really improve it.

Don't get me wrong, the new one is not bad, and rides much better, but it is not enough the win....

Nah FOG, GM just didn't have anything good this year...
I'll be willing to wager that one of Gm's New SUVs next year will win though...

Tahoe, anyone? B)

[post="34354"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That will be interesting to see. Several SUV's are being redesigned around that time too (Expedition, Sequioa, etc).

The 2007 Expedition looks capable too.

[post="34358"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ummm...NO.

[post="34294"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I guess we should be happy it has badges...guessing is no fun... :P :lol:

I am surprised that the Range Rover Sport did not win or that it lost to an X-Terra.

[post="34356"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's called: Not cheap. :(

That will be interesting to see. Several SUV's are being redesigned around that time too (Expedition, Sequioa, etc).

[post="34360"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Good point. GM still has a very good chance though...

BS!

...and because you think it's ugly, it doesn't deserve to win?

BS!

Dude, you can take the new Explorer's interior apart with your bare hands (it's been done, on more than one)

Dude, you can take the new Explorer's interior apart with your bare hands (it's been done, on more than one)

[post="34431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The new one is rather nice...

Not being an Asian vehicle fan, I grudgingly admit the Xterra deserved this one. Chevrolet sorely needs a smaller truck to compete in this segment. The Trailblazer is a dog and the Equinox is going to die a quick death unless seriously freshened in 2007. The Torrent has killed sales north of the border. As we've discussed before, GM should be slapped for not making the Torrent a real Pontiac, rather than a rehashed Equinox. The Xterra appeals to the youth segment and I kinda like its squared off looks. It has a rugged, almost military look to it and it is well priced, too.