Oldsmobile

Yeah, they're sticking stupid Saturn into Oldsmobile's spot in the lineup... and that just ain't workin'. Those are some nice lookin' B-bodies in that picture.

Aren't they nice. Almost forgotten. Practically never see any here anymore.

Oldsmobile had a rich history of innovation and design. Saturn?....nothing. You'd think I'd get over it, but it's still a very sad state of affairs.

I've said it before, I wish GM at the very least would bring out a personal luxury car, one model only, with the nameplate reading 'Oldsmobile'.

Give some continuing honor for this great car company. It could be marketed through the various dealers.

I glanced at a long extablished Chevy dealership here today, hadn't been in the area for awhile...and such a nice surprise, they have the Chev Olds sign still on the building. Almost got misty eyed.

I got news for you--I liked Oldsmobile's new products better than I like the ones coming out of Saturn. I still love the Aurora and the Intrigue. Wish Olds was around today. I'd be driving one over a Buick.

Today I talked to a neighbor who has 2 Auroras ( a 2001 3.5 like mine and a 1995 V8), we talked about how much we love the Auroras. Later in the day I went to a local cruise in where I met a guy with an 87 Cutlass Supreme with 8,100 (not a typo) miles on it. Astro roof, power everything, V8, etc.

What I'm getting at here is there are still many people who love Oldsmobile, I'm going to keep driving my Oldsmobles as long as I can!

Not hating, just stateing :

>>"In 1929, Oldsmobile introduced the first monoblock V8 on its Viking model."<<

Intersting wording: Viking was not a model of Oldsmobile, but a separate marque organizationally linked with Olds. These were NEVER "Oldsmobile Viking"s. IMO I would have to award this innovation to Viking, not Olds.

Pontiac had it's own factory in it's 2nd year- did it's own engineering separate from Oakland. LaSalles likewise had their own engineering/engines- not Cadillac's. Not positive how autonomous Viking was from Olds, but I assume the siutaion was similar to the above.

>>"In 1940, Oldsmobile introduced "Hydra-matic Drive," the first fully automatic transmission to be offered on a widely-available automobile."<<

Olds introduced it, but Cadillac did all the engineering on the unit, started working on it in 1932. It was given to Olds for field testing & production in order to shield Cadillac from any possible shortcomings/image problems associated with unreliability (there were none). Here again, as far an an innovation goes, I'd without question give it to Cadillac.

Edited by balthazar

I glanced at a long extablished Chevy dealership here today, hadn't been in the area for awhile...and such a nice surprise, they have the Chev Olds sign still on the building. Almost got misty eyed.

Yup, Shaganappi Chevrolet Corvette still has the Olds logo, and until they remodeled last year GSL Chev City had theirs up too (the red pre 1996 Logo)

I got news for you--I liked Oldsmobile's new products better than I like the ones coming out of Saturn. I still love the Aurora and the Intrigue. Wish Olds was around today. I'd be driving one over a Buick.

Yup, Aurora, Intrigue, Alero and Bravada I loved all those last Oldsmobiles! (Especially in Black, Bronzemist, and Navy Blue- they really wore dark colors well) They were so going in the right direction... But The beauty of Oldsmobile is that they're collectible. I'd love to have an Alero, final gen Bravada or Intrigue.

oldsmobile_alero.jpg

There was an Alero just like this one (a 2004) on the Used lot next to my G5 this may, for about four grand less than what I paid for the G5. If I had more say in the matter and my parents had less I would have bought it (they wanted me to get a car with warranty).

2001_oldsmobile_aurora01_8878_im.jpg

oldsmobilebravada.jpg

1998-2002-Oldsmobile-Intrigue-0012899199

Yeah, I get excited when I see an Olds sign still up. They're becoming few and far between, though.

I was watching the Blues Brothers the other day and I still love the part when they are driving through the mall and go by the Oldsmobile dealership window. "New Oldsmobiles must be in!"...and you can see all the '80 Oldsmobiles sitting in the window.