Detroit News auto panel gives Honda Civic high mar

Polish_Kris

has a striking new look

Cept if it were domestic, that would read "Is flat out ugly"

I love how the PR spinsters have subtly included "the kids" in so many aspects of this.. NO DOUBT subconciously reinforcing reccommending them to first time buyers and a younger audience

Nice how they single out a 'big evil truck' from 'a loser corporation' owner and pick on him.

I also love how they picked "successful" people to drive the cars, thus reinforcing the "higher, better" concept of buyer verses domestics.. Or put simply, aspirational lifestyles.

BTW, the first thing anyone with ANY knowledge of psychology will tell you is NOT to base decisions on testimonials because they are COMPLETELY baseless... The testifier feels as if he owes something for getting free wheels for a week, and therefore gives EXCELLENT reviews.

Besides, is this a review or an advertisement? You decide. Honda did this same 'feel good' shit with the Ridgeline.

"This was like a Scarlett Johansson on the scale of hotness, very, very hot," wrote Tassi, who drives a 2002 Ford Focus. As I'm writing this I'm realizing that my car is the competition for this car, and this car is just so, so much better." 

Obviously included for the "conquest" aspect to inspire followers... ohhh, and a nice little kick in the teeth at the end because we all hate Detroit and the hatred comes double from Detroit publications.... Her Focus is 4 years older, the Civic SHOULD be better. Besides, no YOUNG person should be stuck driving a domestic!?!?!?

"My husband and I seriously considered this question since James' commuter vehicle, the Oldsmobile Intrigue, is getting old," she wrote. "But the Honda is just too small inside. It is hard to consider buying this car when the primary driver is six feet tall and finds his legs bent, even with the seat all the way back."

Yet the Civic earned her endorsement.

But of course, it's asian and we're conditioned to endorse ALL asian cars. It's only right (Those of you with psychology backgrounds know what I'm referring to)

Oh, the article is by a Lienert... No wonder it's dumb and baseless.

And why did they target the Focus??? Because it is the only established Detroit small car (And the only one that appeals to young people)

"This was like a Scarlett Johansson on the scale of hotness, very, very hot," wrote Tassi, who drives a 2002 Ford Focus. "Honda has finally bought me with these interiors. What really got me were the two-tier gauges. The blue fading into black with the digital-speed readout was straight out of the future.

The future Conan???

Yes, my friend......all the way to the year 1985!!!

What a dumbass. I guess it's because he goes to the University of Michigan.

GO STATE!

The future Conan???

Yes, my friend......all the way to the year 1985!!!
What a dumbass.  I guess it's because he goes to the University of Michigan.

GO STATE!

[post="35254"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think he was refering to the whole dash setup as a whole and not just the digital speedo, lol. :unsure:

Cept if it were domestic, that would read "Is flat out ugly"

I love how the PR spinsters have subtly included "the kids" in so many aspects of this.. NO DOUBT subconciously reinforcing reccommending them to first time buyers and a younger audience

Nice how they single out a 'big evil truck' from 'a loser corporation' owner and pick on him.

I also love how they picked "successful" people to drive the cars, thus reinforcing the "higher, better" concept of buyer verses domestics.. Or put simply, aspirational lifestyles.

BTW, the first thing anyone with ANY knowledge of psychology will tell you is NOT to base decisions on testimonials because they are COMPLETELY baseless... The testifier feels as if he owes something for getting free wheels for a week, and therefore gives EXCELLENT reviews.

Besides, is this a review or an advertisement? You decide. Honda did this same 'feel good' crap with the Ridgeline.
Obviously included for the "conquest" aspect to inspire followers... ohhh, and a nice little kick in the teeth at the end because we all hate Detroit and the hatred comes double from Detroit publications.... Her Focus is 4 years older, the Civic SHOULD be better. Besides, no YOUNG person should be stuck driving a domestic!?!?!?
But of course, it's asian and we're conditioned to endorse ALL asian cars. It's only right (Those of you with psychology backgrounds know what I'm referring to)
Oh, the article is by a Lienert... No wonder it's dumb and baseless.

And why did they target the Focus??? Because it is the only established Detroit small car (And the only one that appeals to young people)

[post="35218"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why can't you guys just accept the fact that this might be one sweetly-engineered little car? It doesn't mean you have to buy one....or that you have to change your loyalties...

Styling is SO subjective....I happen to think the car looks good....and I've seen 3-4 of them already here in southern California and I've sat in two of them....so I'm not basing my opinion on just pictures...

The interior is innovative and uses high-quality materials....higher quality in my mind than what's in the Accord even with many soft-touch surfaces on the dash and door panels.

I haven't driven one so I can't comment on the suspension or powertrain.....

Why can't you guys just accept the fact that this might be one sweetly-engineered little car?  It doesn't mean you have to buy one....or that you have to change your loyalties...

Styling is SO subjective....I happen to think the car looks good....and I've seen 3-4 of them already here in southern California and I've sat in two of them....so I'm not basing my opinion on just pictures...

The interior is innovative and uses high-quality materials....higher quality in my mind than what's in the Accord even with many soft-touch surfaces on the dash and door panels.

I haven't driven one so I can't comment on the suspension or powertrain.....

[post="35314"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

...but comparing it to a 4 year old design is BS, of courese it will be better and fresher. Every time the domestics do something similar they are accused of using the last generation import to show how much better the domestic stuff because in reality it isn't. Yet it is okay for the imports to do so. Could it not be possible that it is not that much better. I am hearing that the plastics are just as hard and brittle as the domestics but the media seems to be glossing this over. I will check one out myself and judge it on what I see. Edited by prinzSD

I saw a coupe for the first time today. It does have some presence on the road and it looks pretty good, I'll admit. The interior still turns me off, though. Even if Bentley came up with the idea of that interior and manufactured it, I wouldn't care. You'll never catch me in a Civic sedan. Never.

the civic is flat out an ugly ass car and the shape isn't even space efficient, especially the coupe. The Mazda3 is still the classy compact. Honda admit it, you lost your ricer fan base with the last body style and you simply restyled the car to get all your ricers back. Edited by regfootball

the civic is flat out an ugly ass car and the shape isn't even space efficient, especially the coupe.

The Mazda3 is still the classy compact.

Honda admit it, you lost your ricer fan base with the last body style and you simply restyled the car to get all your ricers back.

[post="36243"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Honda has realized that they have lost market share to the sport compact area, that is why they restyled the Civic and gave it the horsepower bump that it needed.

I like how the car is restyled. It is a progressive design and doesn't rely on the unimaginative and boring retro-look (which I can starting to get tired of). I have seen a few on the roads now and they look better in person that what the pictures show. I don't think I would personally buy one, but I can appreciate it's engineering prowess.

...but comparing it to a 4 year old design is BS, of courese it will be better and fresher. Every time the domestics do something similar they are accused of using  the last generation  import to show how much better the domestic stuff because in reality it isn't. Yet it is okay for the imports to do so. Could it not be possible that it is not that much better. I am hearing that the plastics are just as hard and brittle as the domestics but the media seems to be glossing this over. I will check one out myself and judge it on what I see.

[post="35756"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No....lots of stuff-touch stuff inside....and nothing nearly as bad as what's in the Cobalt. The top of all the dash, the door panels are soft-touch and what IS hard-touch inside is really nicely-grained and looks and feels good.

Styling inside is a bit strange, but when you sit in it, it looks kinda cool from the driver's seat.....and strange as it is, fit-and-finish is exemplary.

From the standpoint of fit-and-finish, quality of materials, and seating comfort, it is a whole class (or two) about Cobalt and Focus and on a par with Mazda3. Edited by The O.C.

I got my first chance to check out the civic coupe yesterday. First I want to state that no one in the dealer offered to help me. My wife and I make enough to buy ANY and I mean ANY honda on the lot, but the dumb _ss wouldn't even offer info on the cheapest crap they have. Ok, now onto the car. 1st, the interior is cheap to me. The center console easily moves around, the plastic on the pockets is thin, there is no way to replace stereo with an aftermarket version, the fabrics felt thin (just like the last version), and the shifter was notchy (go figure the magazines tell us it's perfect). The exterior isn't so bad, though I'm still not a fan of the front end. Overall the car just seems as cheap as the last version.

I got my first chance to check out the civic coupe yesterday. 

First I want to state that no one in the dealer offered to help me.  My wife and I make enough to buy ANY and I mean ANY honda on the lot, but the dumb _ss wouldn't even offer info on the cheapest crap they have.

Ok, now onto the car.  1st, the interior is cheap to me.  The center console easily moves around, the plastic on the pockets is thin, there is no way to replace stereo with an aftermarket version, the fabrics felt thin (just like the last version), and the shifter was notchy (go figure the magazines tell us it's perfect).

The exterior isn't so bad, though I'm still not a fan of the front end.

Overall the car just seems as cheap as the last version.

[post="36684"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I believe you, I wasn't overly-impressed with the plastics inside, was expecting more soft touch, but everything felt pretty solid, and they were grained nicely. Was impressed more with this interior than the Cobalt's, despite the weird design.

Posted Image
??

It's made by Honda! :lol:

[post="36716"][/post]

The NSX is a bad ass car. They should have left the retractable headlights alone; the design looked more intergrated. The fixed headlights never grew on me as much as I tried to like them. The new Corvettes headlights did not take too much time to like them but a new design helped in this case.

I saw a Civic coupe today. Better than the sedan...still not attractive in the slightest. That car could clearly be the best in its class in everything (and no its not even close) and I still wouldn't buy it...even at 10K. It's a frumpy, ungainly, nasty looking little car. It's what happens when Japanese cars try to "break the mold".

I did forget to mention that I at 5'8" cannot sit in the back seat without putting my head down as I am too tall. Funny, the magazines have been quick to rip the back of the Cobalt but say nothing about the civic. My 6'00" brother can sit in the back of the Cobalt without putting his head down to fit.