2009 Holden Epica

Harley, the previous generation Epica was sold here as the Suzuki Verona, with a transverse inline-six engine. It had one of the worst repair records in the industry. The head of Suzuki expressed his frustration that GM forced the car into his NA lineup because the Verona, along with the other two Daewoo rebadges still sold here (Reno and Forenza) took his company way down the line on quality surveys. This is why I just do not trust a Daewoo product, starting with the Korean-built Opel Kadett-turned Pontiac LeMans of the 80's. They're bad news.

That sideaways inline-six is form a Suzuki, not Daewoo.

It's def. a bizzare setup.

That sideaways inline-six is form a Suzuki, not Daewoo.

It's def. a bizzare setup.

The Suzuki version (Verona) was a rebadged Daewoo Magnus....predates the GM purchase of Daewoo. The Magnus dates to 2000, replaced by the Tosca/Epica in '06. Both had the transverse 6.

Edited by moltar

Guest aatbloke

This is currently sold as the Chevrolet Epica in Europe as a budget alternative to the Vectra. Holden have replaced with the Vectra with the Epica, while Europe will get the Insignia as a direct replacement for the Vectra instead.

Guest aatbloke
The Suzuki version (Verona) was a rebadged Daewoo Magnus....predates the GM purchase of Daewoo.

Correct, the Magnus was essentially an updated Daewoo Leganza.

Oh... well I guess I am not up to speed on my late model

Suzuki cars and defunct S. Korean brands. :lol:

Either way I6 > V6 but it's a little silly in FWD/Transverse

configuration, Those crazy Asians.

This is currently sold as the Chevrolet Epica in Europe as a budget alternative to the Vectra. Holden have replaced with the Vectra with the Epica, while Europe will get the Insignia as a direct replacement for the Vectra instead.

if there ever was to be proof that Holden's days were numbered.....

Guest aatbloke
if there ever was to be proof that Holden's days were numbered.....

By the same token, Holden replaced its Barina (imported Corsa) with a rebadged Kalos/Aveo sourced Barina, instead of importing the current Corsa. It also debuted a Viva (rebadged Lacetti/Reno) to complement its Astra imported from Europe.

By the same token, Holden replaced its Barina (imported Corsa) with a rebadged Kalos/Aveo sourced Barina, instead of importing the current Corsa. It also debuted a Viva (rebadged Lacetti/Reno) to complement its Astra imported from Europe.

Interesting...and isn't Viva a Vauxhall name from decades ago?

N/S V6 > the above mentioned :smilewide:

Can't argue with that.

Guest aatbloke
Interesting...and isn't Viva a Vauxhall name from decades ago?

Sure is, all the way through until November 1979 when the last HC model was produced. I have fond memories of my father's 1969 HB GT with its awfully unreliable twin-carb engine which overheated every eighty miles.

• 2 weeks later...

*sigh* I already hate the Epica (epic-crap more likely), TK Barina and Viva.. geez I really hope the generation of vehicles after these will be better.

To think the Epica (Daewoo Tosca) is such an old design, its close to ten years old now.

Regarding the engines, they're a hangover from when Daewoo were developing their own modular transversely mounted in-line motors, the the six being the largest in capacity.

What i'd give to see GM start developing small RWD cars again...