2007 Imp or Mali?

will75

Self explanatory, I will get one of these two cars, but each has it's pros and cons to the other. If they add auto climate control and telescoping steering wheel to the Imp, or put the Imp/HHR radio or flip/fold rear seats in the Malibu, I would be swayed... Edited by will75

It depends on what equipment level you're going to get, too. I'd get the Impala simply because it looks nicer, IMO, and has a better interior. However, if you're planning on staying around a certain price, maybe low to mid $20's, I'd get the Malibu with a larger equipment list instead of a stripped Impala.

Well, I am looking at a Malibu LTZ vs. Impala 3LT. Very close to the same price, though with an extra $1,000 GM Card allowance the Imp actually is a bit less. Malibu offers a few "luxuries" like auto dimming mirror, leather seats and auto A/C for the money, while Imp gives you a bigger engine and bigger car and I agree, better interior. My main issue is with the few things that one has over the other (as mentioned) and if they are fixing these for '07, I could wait a year. If not, I'll buy before Jan 3rd to use my additional $500 from the ASIM I attended recently.

I agree, I'm thinking about getting the Impala LTZ and the thing that holds me back was the HVAC controls.

I don't understand why a car at it's price offers manual A/C and a cheap Kia can offer auto???

[post="35622"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I HOPE it's not only to differentiate from the Lucerne, which has dual zone auto AC. Give us at least single zone auto in the Imp! The Malibu, as well as many lesser-than-Impala imports have the telescoping wheel too. Makes a car feel less cramped, and the Impala feels a bit cramped to the steering wheel (I'm 6'1" and am more comfy in the Malibu because of this.)

Just take the Impala. Vastly roomier, more poweful, and superior car for not much more. Malibu is kind of cramped, a poor equipment-to-price ratio, and it is too small compared to other mid-size cars. Even though its still the aging W-Body platform, I believe the Impala to be the superior car in almost every single way as opposed to Malibu.

Both are great cars. You can't go wrong with either. The Malibu that I rented for a day was a pretty solid if unexciting ride. The Impala is a real looker in person. If you're going for the 3LT Impala with the 3.9L, you might as well step up to the base SS and get way more power for the same mileage. B) I remember talk of a more comprehensive do-over on the schnoz on the 'Bu for 2007, but I'm not sure where that stands now.

Both are great cars. You can't go wrong with either. The Malibu that I rented for a day was a pretty solid if unexciting ride. The Impala is a real looker in person. If you're going for the 3LT Impala with the 3.9L, you might as well step up to the base SS and get way more power for the same mileage. B)

[post="35661"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, but Premium gas and insurance adds up.

To be clear, I have driven (ASIM and rentals) Malibus and Impalas, both 3LT and SS. I know what each car would need to make me drop the cash, so I was hoping '07 would bring those things to make my decision easy. I enjoy both drives fairly evenly. It may seem funny the importance I place on little things, but spending $20K+ should come with no annoyances. Here is what needs to change in my mind:

Malibu - needs MP3 CD capability and AUX input (rear RCA would be freakin' sweet) or just put the Imp's radio in there. Fold flat seats would be nice too. That's it and I'm a buyer!

Impala - Would need single or dual auto AC, telescoping steering wheel, and an inch or two of legroom for the backseat crew would be nice. That's it here! So close on both!

Guest YellowJacket894
Well, I read in a "Motor Trend" that the next Impala will have styling based around the '63 model. Which means, yes, there will be three tailamps per side on this one. Lets just hope it's looks as good as we think it will be.

The Malibu would be nearly perfect if it had the Impalas seats and split/fold rear seat. The Impala would be great if it has softer touch lower dash plastic/door padding, floor shifter gear indicators and darker cloth fabrics.

[post="36324"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

YEAH..........WTF is GM's thing lately with deleting the shift indicators on the console? I know, I know....they are in the dash, but you know, every GM car I've driven lately without them has REALLY irritated me as I tend to look down to the shifter when shifting from P-R or D and vice-versa....

Get used to it over time? Maybe.....but I see it as a (small) deterrent for people cross-shopping those GM cars with their competitors.....

there wont be many changes to the 07 malibu.. it will be totally reskinned for the 08 model year.. ive heard the next malibu is going to be a home run.. from people who have seen it.. ive even heard " it will be the modern day 55 bel air" not meaning it will look like it.. just means the 08 malibu will be GM's best midsize car it has ever produced..

YEAH..........WTF is GM's thing lately with deleting the shift indicators on the console?  I know, I know....they are in the dash, but you know, every GM car I've driven lately without them has REALLY irritated me as I tend to look down to the shifter when shifting from P-R or D and vice-versa....

Get used to it over time?  Maybe.....but I see it as a (small) deterrent for people cross-shopping those GM cars with their competitors.....

[post="36346"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Its an automatic...P R N D. What's hard about that?

I understand the nitpick, and I even agree with it. But a deterrent for potential shoppers? No more than the dozens of weird quirks I can find in any Japanese or European car vs. a domestic. Not really that big of a deal either way.

Its an automatic...P R N D. What's hard about that?

I understand the nitpick, and I even agree with it. But a deterrent for potential shoppers? No more than the dozens of weird quirks I can find in any Japanese or European car vs. a domestic. Not really that big of a deal either way.

[post="36988"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It just looks cheap and plain IMO. If a Cobalt and Malibu can have it why not the Impala/Monte Carlo? I don't see Ford doing it either. Check out the new Fusion. It has floor shifter indicators, trunk keyhole and really pleasant cloth seat material.

I doubt this 2006 re-style is only going to last 2 years. Isn't this one planned to be around till 2010?

For lists of small changes to the 2007's, you'll have to wait till next summer.

[post="36982"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I say they add a color or two and add a cheesy SS look a like pkg. on the base model!