Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Best and Worst Affordable Small Cars

Satty

Linkypoo

I'll give a quick rundown:

Top 5 affordable small cars

Honda Civic

Honda Fit

Honda Civic Hybrid (why isn't this rolled in with the Civic?)

Mazda Mazda3

Scion xB

Bottom 3 affordable small cars

Chevy Aveo

Suzuki Reno

Suzuki Forenza

I cant really disagree, I just had to double check to make sure the two Suzukis were still on the market. And yes, the article does point out that the 3 worst inexpensive cars on the market are from a GM subsidiary. OH TEH BIAS!!! U.S. News made GM produce substandard compact cars!!!!!

The Suziki Grand Vitara IS the best baby- SUV on the market right now.

That is fact.

BUt as far as these three Daewoo rebadge jobs, they've gone bad!

The Civic should garner an entry, but only one. That's blatantly too pro-Honda to put it on there twice. I totally disagree with the xB being on there, and the 3 is nice, but expensive in the nicer trims, imo. The Civic isn't even "cheap" anymore. The Datsun Versa should be on the "5 best" list, imo, as it can be had well-equipped for under $16k. I agree with the "worst" list.

It's interesting that the 3 worse are all Daewoo generics. If I had to buy a small car, I'd look at the Civic or Mazda 3, or the Rabbit (wish it was offered w/ the diesel or a small 4cyl here, the 2.5 mileage is poor). Or wait for the Fiesta.

Edited by moltar

The Rabbit 3-door has lost a color choice for '09 (Sage Green), which is a shame. I think VW's color choices are way too conservative. A few lively color choices would easily translate into more sales for the solid, fun-to-drive Rabbit. I was gazing at some '09 Rabbits yesterday, dismayed they were all automatics. Cool you can get the sunroof in the 3-door Rabbit in '09, a profit maker for VW at $1k. White is the best of the remaining colors, imo.

The Rabbit 3-door has lost a color choice for '09 (Sage Green), which is a shame. I think VW's color choices are way too conservative. A few lively color choices would easily translate into more sales for the solid, fun-to-drive Rabbit. I was gazing at some '09 Rabbits yesterday, dismayed they were all automatics. Cool you can get the sunroof in the 3-door Rabbit in '09, a profit maker for VW at $1k. White is the best of the remaining colors, imo.

Yeah, I like the Rabbit...more color choices would be good...I've always liked the Golfs, going back to the '80s GTIs and Wolfsburgh editions. It's too bad for now the diesel is only offered in the Jetta in the US, I'd much rather have it in the Rabbit, since I prefer hatchbacks in B- and C- seg cars.

Shoot, how many beige and light blue Rabbits were sold back in The Day? A jaunty green, some sort of blue (wow, I just realized dark blue has been removed from the '09 choices as well as the green), even pale yellow would be received well, imo. It's like VW is selling the Rabbit here because they're being forced to, so they don't even try to make the best of things, since the car has to sell for relatively little here to remain competitive.

The original Aveo was just that - a Daewoo. The '09 has much more GM in its DNA, including an ecotec engine (finally.) Having driven the Fit and the new Aveo5, I'd say they were about equal and the price makes the Fit obsolete.

Customers returned an '08 Aveo sedan rental. I moved it to a spot so Enterprise could pick it up. Driver's door trim has most of its stress at the door pull area, in this case at the armrest. It is held with one screw on the Aveo. Screw was loose, allowing entire trim panel to flex widely upon pulling door closed. I was embarrassed for the car, so I tightened the screw. How long 'til it comes loose again, affecting numerous renters' opinion of the entry-level GMNA product? 9,000 miles on the odometer.

The original Aveo was just that - a Daewoo. The '09 has much more GM in its DNA, including an ecotec engine (finally.) Having driven the Fit and the new Aveo5, I'd say they were about equal and the price makes the Fit obsolete.

There's an all-new Fit coming for '09, though... I'm sure it will be much improved. The Aveo5 still looks like a poverty penalty box like the old Geo Metro, while the Fit looks like a thoroughly acceptable B-segment car.

There's an all-new Fit coming for '09, though... I'm sure it will be much improved. The Aveo5 still looks like a poverty penalty box like the old Geo Metro, while the Fit looks like a thoroughly acceptable B-segment car.

Sorry, I don't see that. I spent some time with the Fit, trying hard to like it, but it's just a sea of grey plastic with an H on the hood.

Shame on you for using the Metro and the Aveo in the same sentence: that's harsh and unfounded.

The 'new' Fit I have not seen yet, but then GM has the 'new' small car slotted between the Aveo and Cobalt coming out late next year, so the race is getting very interesting. It will be nice to see GM slot the Aveo a couple grand under the Fit and the new subcompact head to head: a great one-two punch, I'd say.

Well, if it has much Daewoo influence, it won't be worth the wait. In spy pics, however, the interior is very nice, and in GM's usual flattering rendering that was leaked, it looks very good. Coupe, sedan, convertible and wagon bodystyles (but not at the expense of the sweet little HHR) need to be built, and Pontiac's version should have its own front and rear clips and interior.

A friend of mine relocated to Barbados and drives the RHD equivalent of the Suzuki SX4 Sedan. I spent a week there last month. Its a very good little car IMO. There were tonnes of Suzukis on the island, including a lot of current gen Grand Vitaras in 2 door form.

Edited by frogger

errr. A) Suzuki had nothing else to offer in that segment. Even the SX4 is a subcompact with an oversized engine and enormous overhangs.

b). Suzuki owns a strategic stake in Daewoo, and supplied engines designs and platforms for the older smaller vehicles (the Labo and Damas minitrucks and the precursor to the Matiz). GM didn't force them to do anything. They bought in and asked for it. GM would have been happy to sell the Optra themselves as they did in Canada.

c). Suzuki chose the specification and powertrain for the Forenza, Reno and Epica. Much better choices are on offer elsewhere, picked by GM. No-one forced them to use an old and out-of-date iron-block Family II. They did that to themselves by trying to sell the old Aerio as a compact with a big thirsty engine, and not a subcompact as it was everywhere else in the world (with a frugal 1.5 L engine just like the Yaris and Mazda2 and Colt). They would have looked pretty stupid if they then tried to sell the Forenza with a smaller engine, even if it did have just as much power and better fuel economy than the one they actually imported.

VW is nice to offer a ballsy 5 as standard, but really this cars mission would be better served with a 2.0 160hp 4 cyl as standard with a 6 speed manual. Rabbit should have a wolfsburg option like the jettas get then, for a cheap turbo.

Edited by regfootball

Thanks for the info, griffon. I formed my opinion after reading an article quoting the head of Suzuki complaining about the Daewoo-sourced cars dragging down his company's quality scores due to excessive warranty costs and "things gone wrong".

Not that Suzuki's score was ever all that good to start with.

:lol:

I wrote an estimate on a blue '07 Datsun Versa hatchback this afternoon, owned by a college kid. Someone backed into the door. I asked him how he likes it. He said he loves it, and it is very fun to drive.

I would really like to disagree, the Aveo isn't even on the same planet as the Fit.

Chris

Some say the Fit rides too hard, they prefer, if they are downsizing, to retain a "big car ride", which the Versa purports to offer. I have driven neither, just going by those ol' Edmunds owner review pages.

I just can't imagine ever spending the money on any of these cars brand new. I would hate myself instantly for not buying something far nicer (even if slightly used) for the same money.

I just can't understand why anyone would do that to themselves.

For a city car the Fit is not bad, but yeah, most of what people are talking about here is stuff that I am not on board with.

IMHO I don't like anything Suzuki builds at all.

Chris