Toyota won't resume pickup truck line in Indiana

2QuickZ's

PRINCETON, Ind. -- Toyota Motor Corp. says it will not resume production of the Tundra pickup truck at its Princeton, Ind., plant in November as previously announced.

The company said last month that it would move production of the Tundra to a plant in San Antonio, Texas, in early 2009 after suspending production at Princeton through November.

Toyota spokeswoman Kelly Dillon said Wednesday that production of the pickup trucks will not resume in November and Tundra production will be moved to the Texas plant immediately.

The Princeton plant will instead switch to production of the Highlander sport utility vehicle. The plant will also resume making the Sequoia SUV in November.

Toyota has said it will avoid laying off any of the 4,500 employees at the Princeton factory.

I'm sure they were planning this all along since we all know the Big 3 were the only ones blindsided by the rapid increase in oil and gas prices. :lol: That's not a knock on Toyota but on those that think GM, Ford and Chrysler were the only ones that didn't see this coming! The fact is, nobody predicted oil and gas prices would rise that quickly and force that rapid of a permanent shift in the market.

I'm sure they were planning this all along since we all know the Big 3 were the only ones blindsided by the rapid increase in oil and gas prices. :lol: That's not a knock on Toyota but on those that think GM, Ford and Chrysler were the only ones that didn't see this coming! The fact is, nobody predicted oil and gas prices would rise that quickly and force that rapid of a permanent shift in the market.

I think Toyota's investment/profits in full-size trucks/SUVs was pretty small relative to their total investments/profits, though...the Detroit 3 were/are far more dependent on profits from them.

I think Toyota's investment/profits in full-size trucks/SUVs was pretty small relative to their total investments/profits, though...the Detroit 3 were/are far more dependent on profits from them.

Small compared to Big three in term of investment, but significant if you look at the sales to investment ratio. The Texas plant got them into 1.2 Billion mark not counting R&D for vehicles that will not have sales of more than 200,00 per annum. Compared to that GM invested close to 3 Billion in GMT 900's which commanded a sale volume of 14 - 1.5 million in 07. Not bad. I think Toyota lost more badly per vehicle in the bet for big vehicles compared to Big 3.

The Princeton plant will instead switch to production of the Highlander sport utility vehicle. The plant will also resume making the Sequoia SUV in November.

How many more newly remodeled Highlanders can they build? It's already fleeted at 21% just to maintain current volume!!!! :rotflmao:

I can't wait to see what happens once the Venza comes out... Talk about showroom cannibalism... :rotflmao:

I'm actually surprised it's still coming... I think Toyota should have just canceled this vehicle in light of things.

Since it's car based and probably will get mileage similar to the Camry, they probably decided it will likely do better than truck based SUVs or regular CUVs...it really is just a Camry tall wagon.

Since it's car based and probably will get mileage similar to the Camry, they probably decided it will likely do better than truck based SUVs or regular CUVs...it really is just a Camry tall wagon.

That's my point... the Highlander is based on the Camry platform too! They'll have two mid-size CUVs off the same platform on the same showroom floor.

We just learned Toyota will be adding a 4-cyl back to the Highlander to boost sales... Toyota doesn't realize that the only thing this will accomplish is that it'll steal sales from the RAV4.... while the Venza (if modestly successful) will steal sales from both the 4 & 6-cyl Highlanders and RAV4s.

That's my point... the Highlander is based on the Camry platform too! They'll have two mid-size CUVs off the same platform on the same showroom floor.

We just learned Toyota will be adding a 4-cyl back to the Highlander to boost sales... Toyota doesn't realize that the only thing this will accomplish is that it'll steal sales from the RAV4.... while the Venza (if modestly successful) will steal sales from both the 4 & 6-cyl Highlanders and RAV4s.

Toyota must REALLY be trying to be what GM's trying to escape...

venza will sell, but will cannibalize the rav, highlander, and camry. to some degree its the same as like an edge with ford, it takes explorer sales, taurus sales, and escape sales.....etc. but if the market wants it (Venza) then that's where they should go with it. Toyota can likely flex production of the camry and venza well and they have the 4 cylinder to appeal to the greenies.

Not to mention that the Tundra was already failing badly before the gas crunch hit.

It's a lousy product and its days are numbered.

I'm not religous but I am praying the tundra goes away.

It really is a lousy product, Toyota or not.

Chris