Got broken into

TANGENTS TO SET UP THE STORY --- YOU GUYS KNOW HOW I LIKE TO TELL STORIES :)

TANGENT 1

1) The Focus has had a really rough summer, as have I (worst headf**k I've been through since 2001) Firstly, I was motoring around the house and busted a shifter linkage. Ironically it was in the same place that I was stranded in the middle of the road back in 2005 when the 45 mph 18 wheeler took me out and totalled the first Focus I had. So, I decided that I WOULD NOT be stuck in the road there again and damn near melted the clutch to get the car up a hill. (It was stuck in 3rd). As a result the Focus was down for about a month since I live in Charlotte most of the time and didn't have the time to fix it. (Weeks are spent in Charlotte, 2-3 weekends a month are spent at home - I'm always bouncing back and forth)

So I had a mechanic friend fix it. He said a piece of tire (from someones blowout) flew up and got caught on the linkage and when I tried to shift, it busted. the clutch is okay, but not quite as solid as it was.

2) A few weeks later I'm in Charlotte and the Focus up and dies on me. I hop on the forums to see what it might be. Eventually we narrow it down to something in the fuel system (shear brilliance, I know) I read that A) Foci tend to crap fuel pumps at 100,000 miles and that's no coincidence since I had just celebrated the 100,000 mile mark. and B) A lot of cars are experiencing fuel system problems now that many gas stations are adding 10% Ethanol to their fuel. One of the main companies that does this is Sunoco and guess what I filled up with the day before the car quit? You got it. So I grab what few tools I can round up at the complex here (All of my good stuff is at home) and I jerk the old filter off and install a new one hoping that this will be a quick and cheap fix. The car ran for about a minute and would not start again. At this point, despite being able to hear the pump kick over, I'm pretty convinced it's the pump. So the car sits for 3 months while I save and plan to either drop the tank in my lot and replace it myself or haul it 2 hours home to do it there. Hundreds of dollars and a headache later: fast forward to last weekend and the Focus is back up and running better than it ever has. Improved gas mileage, better performance... All is well.

TANGENT 2

For a couple of years now, someone has been committing larceny and holding people up at gunpoint on and around our campus. This is particularly troubling to me for a few reasons 1) My GF is often in studio until 3 or 4 in the morning. 2) I'm often there with her until 1 or 2 in the morning 3) I'm often outside on the campus doing marketing campaigns for Relay For Life at 12 or 1 in the morning (It's the only time the campus is dead enough for me to set things up) 4) Being raised in public service, it really pisses me off when someone preys on the weak or innocent.

I've always been lucky though, no one has ever tried to mess with me or my stuff. Not surprising since the perp is supposedly 5'4" and about a buck eighty and I'm 6'9"/ 350 and not so obviously armed.

CONVERGENCE

Yesterday in broad daylight, (and by that I mean POURING RAIN) in front of security cameras and other people/cars I presume, someone shattered the passenger side window in my Focus and stole my CD player. The guy was good too, didn't leave a mark on the car anywhere and was probably very quick about it.

It's not about the money... The CD player was a cheapo (+/- $100) and my insurance should most likely cover the window and the player. It's about the fact that I am 1) a car guy that is offended when people so much as touch my cars (even if it is my tame daily driver) and 2) I'm real sick of no one putting this jack ass in his place.

So, I'm very tempted to get everything fixed, put my iPod and camera on the front seat and park in the same place. Then I'm going to hide in the woods across from my car with something akin to a baseball bat (but not exactly) and I'm going to make whoever (doesn't matter if it's the original guy or not) breaks into my car so VERY sorry that they were even born.

Anybody think this is a good idea???? bad idea????

Am I just a crazed, violent redneck?

(Keep in mind that this is all said kinda tongue-in-cheek, but the thought is in my head pretty serious right now to do exactly what I've laid out here.)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Probably a really crappy idea. In our neighborhood some scumbag has been breaking into vehicles...decided to break into a new Z71 in the neighborhood. Neighbor beats kid seriously with baseball bat, kid runs off bleeding, no one ever finds kid.

Guy calls the Po-lice and tells them what happened. They explain how he could loose his home, etc. if the kid were ever to press charges for assault. No one ever heard from punk-o again, which is good, but still, I don't want to risk my home for a car. It is insured for a reason.

This is why I no longer use classics as drivers. I used to drive my 55 Chevy 4-5 times a week or more, but I realized it was irreplaceable and after a minor incident with a teenager in a pickup trukc (irony or ironies another Z-71) I realized I was putting a classic car needlessly at risk.

If something happens to my Miata I would be sad but there are lots of them in the world. I'll own another one withing 3-4 days of getting my check from State Farm.

I do have a former co-worker who put Razor blades around his CD player (head unit) and kept them hidden. Someone broke into his Cutlass, and the insurance company paid for the window and the now ruined CD player...but not for removing badly blood stained seats and carpets from the car.

It was really gross too, that particular thief lost parts of fingers.

Good luck, and I wouldn't let your fiance run around at 3 or 4 AM unless she is really good at martial arts or something...not that you should try to control her life. It's just that lots of bad things happen to females, even in braod daylight...

I got this story from one of the local Sherrif's deputies, didn't make much press up here.

This happened right in broad daylight to a woman driving a Buick Lucerne in downtown Columbus. She was beaten severely when she went to get into her car for lunch, and mr. lowlife tried to abduct her. She fought him off and ran away. Thankfully, she had the composure to give the police her ON-Star number...mr lowlife didn't even make it out of downtown. From what I hear he's going to be sent away for a very long time, but as a husband and father of three daughters, and a brother of a sister, and a son, and an uncle of niecesthis bothers me in a huge way.

I would say watch out for GF/Fiance every way you can, keep driving Mr. Focus, and we'll hook up someday and I'll get a good luck at your two fabulous Camaros. I'd rather buy you a beer ( or a few) at a hillbilly biker bar than visit you in prison.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

I've had my cars broken into 3 times. Most recently, about 2 months ago. They stole my portable XM radio. The radio itself GM replaced for free, but it was the $200 window that pissed me off. I am still vacuuming glass out of my car. Pity the perp if I ever caught him in the act. In my neighborhood, though, it's the crack addicts looking for Cds and what not to hock for drug money. The joys of living downtown. The cops don't care. I have a$1,000 insurance deductible so I don't have to mortgage my house to pay for the premiums.

Buy a Fisher Price baby monitor. Put the transmitter hidden in your car and keep the receiver with you while you're working late. You'll be able to hear the f$#ker break in and maybe get to your car in time. I know someone who did that and then videotaped the thief. The cops eventually nailed the a-hole in another crime and nailed him for both.

let the beatings begin.

NICE! A MetallicA reference... You're a man after my heart. :D

Fortunately, I don't own anything but the Focus. The Camaros are in someone elses name (In case times get real tough, like they looked to be getting recently, they can't use the cars as collateral) So the theif couldn't sue me for much.

I really don't need an assault charge though, especially if it's a kid.

In reality, I don't think I'll do anything. But they better hope I never catch them in the act, because then it's on. Doesn't matter if it's my car/GF/whatever or not.

I got broken into in a well lit movie theatre parking lot last summer...argghhh.... I had left my iPod adapter plugged into the cassette deck (white cable in plain sight), which must have been what attracted them--otherwise, why break into a 2000 Jeep in a parking lot full of newer and more expensive vehicles? They left that, and took an empty Foo Fighters CD case and a Pink Floyd CD that I had between the seat and the console. I never leave anything laying out visibly now. At least it was just a broken window.

A few years ago, a coworker had his 2000 Jeep (Cherokee) broken into while he & his wife were having dinner at Olive Garden--they drilled out the lock cylinder and cut a 2x3 area around it to get into the door release...stole an Alpine head unit from the dash. Had to replace the door.

At least they didn't get my catalytic converter.

(Seriously, that's the new trend here in Charlotte. They sell them for scrap)

Someone was arrested around here for that a few months ago, they were stuck under a car trying to cut the CC off..

I would be very tempted to teach the jackass(es) a painful lesson. However what is retarded about our legal system is hat if someone wrongs you, like breaks into your house/car and damages your property or threatens you,a nd you take action, then the prick is entitled to press charges on you! It's f@#king ridiculous. If you don't want to get the $h! beat out of you then don't do something to warrant it.

All I know is if I were to catch someone hurting someone else, threatening me, or breaking into /damaging my property I would make them pay for it.

I would be very tempted to teach the jackass(es) a painful lesson. However what is retarded about our legal system is hat if someone wrongs you, like breaks into your house/car and damages your property or threatens you,a nd you take action, then the prick is entitled to press charges on you! It's f@#king ridiculous. If you don't want to get the $h! beat out of you then don't do something to warrant it.

All I know is if I were to catch someone hurting someone else, threatening me, or breaking into /damaging my property I would make them pay for it.

You Sir are a rebel. My friend used similar logic in PA. Seems he was in an accident with an illegal alien, who then turned around and tried to sue him for injuries he sustained in the accident. When the case got to court, my friend argued to the Judge and Jury, that the accident would have never occurred had the person not entered the country illegally, therefore his car would have never been involved in an accident in the first place, if he simply stayed in his home country, where he belonged. The Jury agreed, the case was dismissed.

You Sir are a rebel. My friend used similar logic in PA. Seems he was in an accident with an illegal alien, who then turned around and tried to sue him for injuries he sustained in the accident. When the case got to court, my friend argued to the Judge and Jury, that the accident would have never occurred had the person not entered the country illegally, therefore his car would have never been involved in an accident in the first place, if he simply stayed in his home country, where he belonged. The Jury agreed, the case was dismissed.

Now THAT'S dirty.

OK, you've caught us! It's Carl-Peter and I, and a crack team of Opel Security Guards. We are operating out of the NC woods, just like Eric Robert Rudolph did!

Our motto is, No Opels, no Peace! :smilewide:

Let's keep the planet Safe for Holden!

Chris

Someone was arrested around here for that a few months ago, they were stuck under a car trying to cut the CC off..

Tabitha, one of my teen daughter's friends was standing with her sophomore english teacher next to english teachers car in the faculty parking lot, talking about school.

Someone got under the car and cut the converter off while they were standing there talking!

Thief's are getting really tricky with the price of scrap up.

Chris

My hat goes off to him!

FoG:

I like the baseball bat idea, BUT... I like to keep an old,

scummy golf club handy, makes for a faster splice with

even more damage to soft tissue & in court it seems

more tame than the typical "thug-life" baseball bat. :wink:

My hat goes off to him!

Don't you mean Canada?

FoG:

I like the baseball bat idea, BUT... I like to keep an old,

scummy golf club handy, makes for a faster splice with

even more damage to soft tissue & in court it seems

more tame than the typical "thug-life" baseball bat. :wink:

My hat goes off to him!

Don't you mean Canada?

If someone breaks into your house, you're allowed to shoot them because they present a danger to you and your family. If someone breaks into your car in a parking lot and you jump out of a bush and beat them with a baseball bat (or golf club) you're f@#ked. Literally, you're going to be sodomized by the real criminals in jail.

If someone breaks into your house, you're allowed to shoot them because they present a danger to you and your family. If someone breaks into your car in a parking lot and you jump out of a bush and beat them with a baseball bat (or golf club) you're f@#ked. Literally, you're going to be sodomized by the real criminals in jail.

Only if you killed them.

And something tells me that I wouldn't be the one getting f*cked in jail.

Not to mention, it's also a case of 'who you know' if you know what I mean.

Anyway... Cooler thoughts have prevailed (as always) and I'm probably not going to do anything anyway. It's just not really worth my time.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

In a perfect world one free crack to the craneum from

a baseball bat/golf club/2x4 would be allowed if some

piece of scum societal reject stole your $h! from your

car by breaking your window & then came back to

reapeat it for a second time!!!

one thing is that i am required to carry a firearm. which it is very helpful in assisting others in crimes in progress or making civilian arrests. although the legal process and paper work SUCKS ASS!!!! anytime i pull the pistol out. I want to get a taser gun but they wont allow me to have one yet. The best so far was back in 2000 i just retired from my service and i was still edgy. im in a bank in the Detroit area and this guy comes in and pulls out a .44 He says give me your money. A witness said with in 2 seconds i had my gun drawn and pined the guy down on the ground hard and blurted not today mother f@#ker. I was charged with Assault though since i broke the guys nose. by slamming his face in the marble like floor. I lost the civil case and had to pay the scum $7500. but he went to jail for 20 years. My lawyer asked if it was worth it. And Yeah it was. But the average person should probably take it as it comes. its not worth jail time or your life over petty crimes.