Next Honda Hybrid unveiled

BuddyP

Geezus, it's official, originality has LEFT the building at HONDA.

Fer-Krist's sake, could they have tried any less to copy the Pri-sss?

Eample number 5,256,397 of the Japanese, esp. Hon-DUH & Toyopet

immitating, NOT innovating.

do you mean HONDA badge? huh? x.plain?

Let's at least wait until we see the production version, which will have normal wheels, normal head lights, normal grille, and less LED bling on the front. The basic shape is a 5-door hatchback, which wasn't exactly pioneered by the Prius. It is really the best shape a 5-passenger vehicle can have and be aerodynamic while still having head room for the rear passengers. When you see the cars next to each other, I bet the Insight will be more low-slung, although maybe not by much.

C'mon.... it's silly to even try to argue the styling of this POS.

Deleting the wheels, which I think are actually decent, and

deep-6ing the LEDs will only further make it look like a damn

Lexus Prius-ES (NOT a compliment!)

This is a very poor attempt to emulate a mediocre car.

Again, right now I'm only discussing styling, but in terms of

technology and effciency I think Hon-DUH will do better than

Toyo-DUR, but not by much & certainly not enough to justify

anyone with a set of (non-shrunken) testicles to ever buy it.

The front has a strong family resemblance to the Clarity. It's ultramodern/futuristic and high tech. The question is, can it get the mindshare that the Pious gets now?

+1 It looks more like the Clarity than the Prius.

Going with the Insight nameplate was a good choice... it reminds people that Honda, not Toyota, was the first to the hybrid game in the US.

I respect hybrid technology, but I seriously doubt that I would ever buy a dedicated hybrid model until someone makes one that doesn't look like a shapeless blob. To me, this thing is just as unappealing as the Prius. I have hopes that the Volt won't look like either one of these style challenged blobs (Prius & Insight). Yuck!

It's a good thing that auto companies make hybrid versions of some of their regular models. At least you can obtain the tech in something that doesn't look like a complete dork mobile.

Edited by cire

If given the limited choice, I'd consider a Honda Insight over a Toyota Prius any day of the week...

That's kind of like saying you would rather have a slap to the face verus a punch.

I don't like how it looks, because I hate how the Prius looks and it is too similar. This is a little better looking, but it is still odd. But no matter how ugly it is, if it gets 70 mpg and costs $20,000 they will sell a ton of them. 70 mpg (even 50-60) is huge.

I don't like how it looks, because I hate how the Prius looks and it is too similar. This is a little better looking, but it is still odd. But no matter how ugly it is, if it gets 70 mpg and costs $20,000 they will sell a ton of them. 70 mpg (even 50-60) is huge.

Yes...and it's a Honda...personally, I'd much rather drive a Honda than be a sheep in a Toyota... I've long respected Honda for their engineering, their engines, and how their cars generally drive nicer than the average appliance.

Edited by moltar

70 mpg would be a huge stretch. The current HCH is rated to 40/45. The Insight is based on the Fit platform (although larger than the Fit I believe) and is supposed to use considerable weight and aerodynamic improvements, as well as a new IMA system. It probably won't weigh much less than the HCH, so considering improvements in the IMA system and aerodynamic improvements, I would see 45/50 as a distinct possibility, but probably not more.

For $19,000~ and 45/50 mpg it is good. It should be able to pay for itself in short order compared to a similar gas vehicle. The big question is how will Honda package features on it. Will they use an LX/EX approach, with the base model being equipped along the lines of an LX Civic? Or will they just have one well-equipped model with a navigation option? I'm thinking they will use the first approach, as it will make it easier to keep the base MSRP lower and meet the goal.

i would not be averse to an insight and a honda badge. at that price and mpg. with dealer markup though.....

Given that Honda only plans to sell 100,000 of these here, and the probability that there is enough demand to sell 10x that, there will probably be similar markup as seen on the Fit. There will be dealers that stick to the MSRP, but I would expect the majority to have a markup at least initially.

Given that Honda only plans to sell 100,000 of these here, and the probability that there is enough demand to sell 10x that, there will probably be similar markup as seen on the Fit. There will be dealers that stick to the MSRP, but I would expect the majority to have a markup at least initially.

At least the resale value will be strong.