2010 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT First Drive

siegen

2010acuratl6mt.jpg

Full Article

Specs and detailed information

But for right now, this prototype of the 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD equipped with a close-ratio six-speed manual transmission is one of the most remarkable fast sedans we've ever driven, faster than all the big names in the sport sedan game.

The 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT kicked serious butt. And we're not talking tenths of a second on a 1.6-mile racetrack, but instead 2 seconds (a light-year on a short racetrack like this) separated the TL from the next quickest sedan, the Audi S4 Quattro, on the challenging Dynamics Handling Course.

The competitor cars each featured a manual transmission, the sportiest configuration currently available, and aftermarket brake pads that would stand up to an afternoon on the racetrack. The cars included a 2008 Audi S4 Quattro manual; 2008 BMW 335i Sport; 2008 BMW 335xi Sport and a 2008 Infiniti G35s.

Edited by siegen

and no one will have any money to buy cars like these with our financial meltdown...LOL

Which may work to the TL and G37's favor, as they are considerably less than the German competition.

The 305HP TL beating the 300HP 335i and 335xi around the track is pretty incredible, given that the TL is a larger and heavier car with less torque.

Now that Acura has FINALLY mated the 6-speed manual gearbox to SH-AWD, I can't wait to see what they do with the '10 TSX. There are images and an article floating around about the TSX, showing the underside and how there is room purposefully left for rear driveshafts and differential, and a gas tank designed to accept a prop shaft. Honda reps have commented that there is room for a V6 under the hood as well, although they are keeping their mouth shut otherwise.

280HP AWD TSX with 6-speed manual, around 3800~ lbs. <-my next car :drool:

Which may work to the TL and G37's favor, as they are considerably less than the German competition.

The 305HP TL beating the 300HP 335i and 335xi around the track is pretty incredible, given that the TL is a larger and heavier car with less torque.

Now that Acura has FINALLY mated the 6-speed manual gearbox to SH-AWD, I can't wait to see what they do with the '10 TSX. There are images and an article floating around about the TSX, showing the underside and how there is room purposefully left for rear driveshafts and differential, and a gas tank designed to accept a prop shaft. Honda reps have commented that there is room for a V6 under the hood as well, although they are keeping their mouth shut otherwise.

280HP AWD TSX with 6-speed manual, around 3800~ lbs. <-my next car :drool:

Not likely. The 2006 TL 6MT was crap compared to my 2005 330 -- and the 2008 G37s was equally unimpressive. I'm basing my opinion on owning a BMW and spending a month driving both the Acura and Infiniti back to back with it. The difference is very noticeable.

Not likely. The 2006 TL 6MT was crap compared to my 2005 330 -- and the 2008 G37s was equally unimpressive. I'm basing my opinion on owning a BMW and spending a month driving both the Acura and Infiniti back to back with it. The difference is very noticeable.

In terms of track performance?

I hope the new TL is much improved......I just took in an '07 TL Type-S in on trade and drove it around for a bit and was quite unimpressed......

I always liked the style of this generation TL.....but the engine was unimpressive (even in Type-S tune) and the road noise was totally unacceptable for anything with a "premium" badge. (This car had only 16,000 miles on it.)

The car felt barely as quick as a non-DI CTS.....and the suspension/chassis tune/NVH were a class or two below the CTS. Of course it is a less-expensive car....but I REALLY expected more......like a nice VTEC-jump in power when hitting a certain rev range.....but it never came about. The car was "okay" in the power/acceleration department....but that was about it.

The guy traded it in on a used 2007 GS350 AWD that we had in stock......now I'm no Lexus fan, but even I have to admit that was a fine driving car......and ALOT of power....even felt stronger than a DI CTS.....

Just curious--does anyone know if Acura has plans in the works to actually build an auto tranny that has more than 5-speeds? Seems to me they've had these around for a while and to play the luxury market, you need to get on board.

Just curious--does anyone know if Acura has plans in the works to actually build an auto tranny that has more than 5-speeds? Seems to me they've had these around for a while and to play the luxury market, you need to get on board.

Have no idea. I don't think Honda as a whole has a 6A transmission anywhere.

Interestingly, neither do Nissan (though they skipped right up to 7, but only for RWD applications) or Chrysler (at least not for the LX/LY cars). I do agree that this is one place they're behind.

EDIT: I just saw a link to an article saying that the 6A was delayed for some reason.

Edited by Lamar

Most manufacturers outsource their transmissions, especially their 6-speed auto's. Honda builds its own 5-speed auto, and likely is currently working on a 6-speed auto in-house. They save money, especially in the long run when R&D costs are paid for, by building their own transmission, but they will probably want to get as much time out of the 5-speed as they can.

Most manufacturers outsource their transmissions, especially their 6-speed auto's. Honda builds its own 5-speed auto, and likely is currently working on a 6-speed auto in-house. They save money, especially in the long run when R&D costs are paid for, by building their own transmission, but they will probably want to get as much time out of the 5-speed as they can.

Makes sense, but when they're one of the very few companies who still manufactures a 5A as their best automatic transmission, it puts them behind a little bit.

Speaking of getting as much out as they can, isn't there a 5A available in all their models except the S2000?

Makes sense, but when they're one of the very few companies who still manufactures a 5A as their best automatic transmission, it puts them behind a little bit.

Speaking of getting as much out as they can, isn't there a 5A available in all their models except the S2000?

The Civic Si is 6MT-only as well as the S2000. Everything else is either 5AT only or offers 5AT, 5MT, or 6MT. Then of course there are the CVT models, such as the Civic hybrid. The new NSX is supposed to have a dual-clutch transmission as well. Just rumors at this point though.

I hope the new TL is much improved......I just took in an '07 TL Type-S in on trade and drove it around for a bit and was quite unimpressed......

I always liked the style of this generation TL.....but the engine was unimpressive (even in Type-S tune) and the road noise was totally unacceptable for anything with a "premium" badge. (This car had only 16,000 miles on it.)

The car felt barely as quick as a non-DI CTS.....and the suspension/chassis tune/NVH were a class or two below the CTS. Of course it is a less-expensive car....but I REALLY expected more......like a nice VTEC-jump in power when hitting a certain rev range.....but it never came about. The car was "okay" in the power/acceleration department....but that was about it.

Well I guess that is your bias. According to Road and Track the Type-S is faster to 0-60, 0-100, 1/4mile, and pulls more Gs on the skid pad than the CTS DI. I guess if the Type-S is "okay" then the CTS DI is sub-ok and the CTS non-DI is unacceptable for anything with a "premium" badge?

The CTS was ~1% faster in the slalom and ~3dBA quieter across the board. That hardly puts the Type-S a "class or two below the CTS".

The Type-S also gave ~12% better fuel economy.

Well I guess that is your bias. According to Road and Track the Type-S is faster to 0-60, 0-100, 1/4mile, and pulls more Gs on the skid pad than the CTS DI. I guess if the Type-S is "okay" then the CTS DI is sub-ok and the CTS non-DI is unacceptable for anything with a "premium" badge?

The CTS was ~1% faster in the slalom and ~3dBA quieter across the board. That hardly puts the Type-S a "class or two below the CTS".

The Type-S also gave ~12% better fuel economy.

Was the R&T comparison of a 6-speed manual TL-S? The 6MT is going to be quite a bit quicker than the 5AT. As far as NVH goes, I have found that people tend to notice NVH more negatively when they're in a car they already have made a negative judgment on. I couldn't find the R&T comparison to get numbers from, was it a hard-copy only article?

• 3 weeks later...
Was the R&T comparison of a 6-speed manual TL-S? The 6MT is going to be quite a bit quicker than the 5AT. As far as NVH goes, I have found that people tend to notice NVH more negatively when they're in a car they already have made a negative judgment on. I couldn't find the R&T comparison to get numbers from, was it a hard-copy only article?

The numbers came from their on-line site. As I recall, I took those numbers from those R&T "data sheets" that contain all the detailed numbers from their reviews.

I believe it was a 6SPD TL-S.

• 10 months later...

I don't know, but everyone (almost) that I know who works for Honda just hates the styling on this car. We live in Central Ohio, which is pretty much Honda Land, and a lot of the local car guys and SCCA guys work for Honda. They are seriously pissed at Honda for building something this ugly, and I'm even talking about spouses and children of Honda employees.

Honda has the best engeneering on the planet, IMHO...but styling keeps me from buying a single current production car. (the S2000 ended production in June IIRC.)

But damn, if you could ust give these cars some stying we'd be in bidness...

Chris