Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daves87rs

Tires?

50 posts in this topic

A quick question for those who are good with tires...

I'm looking for a good, solid tire for the wife's Cavalier.

Nothing fancy, though I wouldn't mind a little extra grip.

I'm not looking at pricey tires, private brands are fine as long as they are solid....

You have to remember, they are for a Cavvie...

I was just at Wal-Mart, and found Goodyear Vivas for 60 buck each, and they did not look bad....

I;m going to be looking for tires for the Balt' soon too, though I'm considering Firestone right now...the Contis on it now suck big time.....

I'm wondering about what I should consider.....I could just go to Belle Tire or something like that, but it' snice to kno what is out there...

Edited by daves87rs

A quick question for those who are good with tires...

I'm looking for a good, solid tire for the wife's Cavalier.

Nothing fancy, though I wouldn't mind a little extra grip.

I'm not looking at pricey tires, private brands are fine as long as they are solid....

You have to remember, they are for a Cavvie...

I was just at Wal-Mart, and found Goodyear Vivas for 60 buck each, and they did not look bad....

I;m going to be looking for tires for the Balt' soon too, though I'm considering Firestone right now...the Contis on it now suck big time.....

I'm wondering about what I should consider.....I could just go to Belle Tire or something like that, but it' snice to kno what is out there...

the pirelli p6's that came on my g5 gt were crap...handled poorly and sucked in the snow....bald at 1 year and 30k miles and changed em over to cooper zeon sports which handle amazing and have held up to some of the worst roads around the NYC area....only complaint once again is treadwear....30k miles and 1 year later and theyre bald....gonna be getting dunlop sp sport signatures on saturday....60k treadwear warranty and a 460 treadwear rating so we'll see how they hold up

I've been happy with Fuzion (Bridgestone) HRi on our Odyssey. They were ~$240, shipped, from TireRack... had the local tire center mount them for $60.

20K miles later, they're a bit noisy but still have a good amount of tread left. For $300, I'm satisfied.

Edited by empowah

the pirelli p6's that came on my g5 gt were crap...handled poorly and sucked in the snow....bald at 1 year and 30k miles and changed em over to cooper zeon sports which handle amazing and have held up to some of the worst roads around the NYC area....only complaint once again is treadwear....30k miles and 1 year later and theyre bald....gonna be getting dunlop sp sport signatures on saturday....60k treadwear warranty and a 460 treadwear rating so we'll see how they hold up

Haven't heard much about Dunlops lately.....

And the Zeons don't sound bad, but a co worker with a Neon has huge issues with them....

I got Yoko H4S when they first came out (local place ordered them for me - no upcharge)

for my econobox that thinks it's a sportscar (needed at least "H" ;))

not expensive (at the time) long treadlife

& have been good in all weather

TireRack

I got Yoko H4S when they first came out (local place ordered them for me - no upcharge)

for my econobox that thinks it's a sportscar (needed at least "H" ;))

not expensive (at the time) long treadlife

& have been good in all weather

TireRack

They seem right around the Vivas...though I weonder how well they handle snow....

I drove them a little in snow when new, Daves87rs

and could Not get them to slip (but they are just AllSeasons)

Will find out (much) more this winter - since I moved -

but that's probably too late to help you...

edit

just went & looked

mine don't have "M+S" (mud and snow) markings on them

but like I said - got them when they first came out, if that could make a diff.

Edited by 2b2

I drove them a little in snow when new, Daves87rs

and could Not get them to slip (but they are just AllSeasons)

Will find out (much) more this winter - since I moved -

but that's probably too late to help you...

edit

just went & looked

mine don't have "M+S" (mud and snow) markings on them

but like I said - got them when they first came out, if that could make a diff.

Got ya...I'm going to look at those tires too (this weekend), so I can see the tires up close...

Dave:

Goodyear TripleTred is perfect... I put them on My G5 and I had them on the Cavalier before that.

Dave:

Goodyear TripleTred is perfect... I put them on My G5 and I had them on the Cavalier before that.

About how much did they run you?

And are they grippy? The Cav has the stock Goodyear Conquest (I think) and they were so- so...

And are they grippy? The Cav has the stock Goodyear Conquest (I think) and they were so- so...

You would not BELIEVE how grippy they were... Made that Cavalier feel like an alpine rescue vehicle. But they ride real nice on dry pavement too... and they have a 80000Mi warranty on treadwear.

You would not BELIEVE how grippy they were... Made that Cavalier feel like an alpine rescue vehicle. But they ride real nice on dry pavement too... and they have a 80000Mi warranty on treadwear.

I wonder if I can make quick turns in them... :scratchchin:

I'm going to check em' out...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=S

TireRack has them for 85$/tire on the 14 inch Cavs and 98$/tire on the 15 inch Cavs, but there's a 40$ rebate off your total if you buy a set of four... Since the 15s on the Deltas are narrower they're a few dollars more expensive on the Cobalt/G5 but worth it... These tires made both cars feel much more solid when you're driving them, especially the G5 because those Continentals blow chunks once they start to wear down even a bit (HINT ocnblu HINT).

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=S

TireRack has them for 85$/tire on the 14 inch Cavs and 98$/tire on the 15 inch Cavs, but there's a 40$ rebate off your total if you buy a set of four... Since the 15s on the Deltas are narrower they're a few dollars more expensive on the Cobalt/G5 but worth it... These tires made both cars feel much more solid when you're driving them, especially the G5 because those Continentals blow chunks once they start to wear down even a bit (HINT ocnblu HINT).

Nice!

You aren't joking about the Contis..they suck!

You sold me on them for the Balt, and I plan to check them out on the Cav....

One word of caution, don't buy a tire from Wally world. The main reason is that the Goodyear Viva you're talking about will only be available at a Wal Mart because its a special tire made only for Wal Marts and Sams Clubs, if anything at least get a tire that you'll be able to find pretty well anywhere else. (Also Goodyears are overrated and overpriced for what they are, go with BF Goodrich, Michelin, or Bridgestone/Firestone and you'll probably be a good bit happier.) I myself prefer a UniRoyal tire simply because its made in the same factories and owned by Michelin, so you get Michelin quality in a less expensive package.

One word of caution, don't buy a tire from Wally world. The main reason is that the Goodyear Viva you're talking about will only be available at a Wal Mart because its a special tire made only for Wal Marts and Sams Clubs, if anything at least get a tire that you'll be able to find pretty well anywhere else. (Also Goodyears are overrated and overpriced for what they are, go with BF Goodrich, Michelin, or Bridgestone/Firestone and you'll probably be a good bit happier.) I myself prefer a UniRoyal tire simply because its made in the same factories and owned by Michelin, so you get Michelin quality in a less expensive package.

Hmmm...I din't think of that...Thanks. 8)

What do you think would be a good quality (less expensive) tire would be for a 03 Cavalier?

The only thing I want to add is some extra grip over the current stock tire (goodyear) it has on now....

Hmmm...I din't think of that...Thanks. 8)

What do you think would be a good quality (less expensive) tire would be for a 03 Cavalier?

The only thing I want to add is some extra grip over the current stock tire (goodyear) it has on now....

Well... I'd stay away from the Goodyear Integrity... them is $h!e. If you want a more expensive tire for the Cobalt then the TripleTred is the way to go but for a cheaper grippy tire might want to look at what Michelin has to offer.

I'd go to tirerack.com and read the reviews from both tirerack and the consumer reviews.

If the Uni Tiger Paw Touring is available in your size i'd reccomend them. I had a set of 185/65-15 Touring TR's on my '96 SL2 and they were a good tire year round, (I was driving in Iowa winters then) and had a fair amount of tread left even after ~50K when I traded it.

Edited by fightingbee

I'd go to tirerack.com and read the reviews from both tirerack and the consumer reviews.

Sad part id that I have read a few, and the reviews are not very good....

Well... I'd stay away from the Goodyear Integrity... them is $h!e. If you want a more expensive tire for the Cobalt then the TripleTred is the way to go but for a cheaper grippy tire might want to look at what Michelin has to offer.

True..I do like the idea of tripletreds for the Balt..... :yes:

But I do think I'm going to go with a cheaper grippy tire for her car....

If the Uni Tiger Paw Touring is available in your size i'd reccomend them. I had a set of 185/65-15 Touring TR's on my '96 SL2 and they were a good tire year round, (I was driving in Iowa winters then) and had a fair amount of tread left even after ~50K when I traded it.

That might be a good choice for the Cav...hopefully they have them in 14s......

My mom has Tiger Paws on her Astro...and they hels up very well.....

And if I remember right, they are also made by michelin....

Goodyear triple treads or Cooper CS4. Can't get Cooper's every where but they're great tires and don't cost as much as GY's. Both made in USA.

just ended up getting bridgestone potenza g019 grids for the g5...rainy day here with lots of wet leaves and so far theyre pretty sweet

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0