Device cuts cell phone usage while driving

thedriver

I stopped reading the article when they said "Studies by other researchers at the university have shown that driving while talking on cell phones is as dangerous as driving drunk."

That's a load of bull. I talk while driving regularly, and while I'm not boasting about it, I've driven when I shouldn't have...and there is simply no comparison. None whatsoever.

Yes, some people may be affected by it to such an extent, but those are the people who can't drive competently while drinking a non-alcoholic beverage, or who swerve across a lane when they change the radio volume.

Talking on a phone while driving is no less distracting than talking with another passenger. And at the very least, if you need to focus ALL of your attention at the road (terrible congestion, bad weather, etc) THEN PLEASE BY ALL MEANS TELL THEM YOU'RE DRIVING AND NEED YOUR FULL ATTENTION AND CALL THEM BACK LATER.

I've never had or been involved in an accident while on the phone, and I doubt I will be, honestly, because that's how I do it. I've also noted my reaction skills aren't compromised much because I have successfully swerved around idiots who nearly hit me while on the phone...and no it wasn't because I was so distracted by talking I was running red lights. :rolleyes:

I've talked on the phone in the car for years, usually always put the phone on speakerphone and lay it on the console, or use my bluetooth earpiece. Now texting, reading email, or surfing the web on your phone while driving, would be pretty dangerous, IMHO.

When driving from Denver to Phoenix a few months ago, I was on the phone (on speakerphone) for 3 hours straight with a couple of interruptions where the phone cut out and had to call back..

I don't think its the talking so much as the texting. I'm an admitted text addict and text while driving everyday and have killed many a turtle in my day. It is dangerous and stupid but I do it anyway. The cell phone problem is teenagers who mostly suck at driving anyway and don't pay attention even when they aren't distracted and stupid ass women drivers.

I learned at 16 or 17 that texting while driving is NOT OPTIMAL. Except I wasn't even texting...I was dialing a phone number as I was leaving my HS parking lot, and creeped into the car in front of me (no damage). At that point, dialing became reserved exclusively for red lights or situations where NO ONE ELSE is on the road, and even then I check the road between each number.

I have texted at red lights before. But I still find that hella distracting...so I don't do it very often.

I was driving on I-80 a few weeks ago and was nearly run off the road by some teenage chick that was texting on her cell phone and unable to stay in her lane.

I'm all for this. There is no reason to be texting at all while your vehicle is in motion. I don't necessarily mind talking on the phone while driving, but there are some that simply can't drive and talk at the same time.

I spent so long delivering pizzas that I've perfected the art of distracted driving.

Talking while driving-check

Texting while driving-check

Playing Tetris while driving-check (I dont recommend this)

Sex while driving-check (I recommend this)

Driving with my eyes closed-check (I really, really dont recommend this)

I spent so long delivering pizzas that I've perfected the art of distracted driving.

I would like to see a demonstration of 3 and 5. :P

Okay... how do you do the sex while driving? I won't get into why I want to know (if you actually have)... and no, it wasn't me! LOL

Its almost impossible with bucket seats and an armrest, there is no room for mistake. Obviously oral sex is significantly easier, at least receiving it while driving. I'm not sure performing oral sex while driving would end well.

Oh, and cruise control is your friend.

Edited by Satty

Its almost impossible with bucket seats and an armrest, there is no room for mistake. Obviously oral sex is significantly easier, at least receiving it while driving. I'm not sure performing oral sex while driving would end well.

Oh, and cruise control is your friend.

Well... during uh, orgasm... if it's intense... I find your eyes want to roll up and back, which isn't very good for keeping them on the road.